General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

Hi General

With regards to your point on the previous page about consistently being a top 4 club and challenging for the top spot in the league - How do you see this coming about?

Don't get me wrong, I want Villa to be right up there as much as the next guy and I am 100% behind the current set up of the club, for the simple reason that since you guys came in, I have had more fun than ever as a Villa fan. But, imo, challenging for the title under the current regime is just way out of the question.

I think there is a lot of over exaggeration on here about the clubs financial state, and I understand that the club needs to be run as a proper business and thats great if we are doing things the right way. And you have said numerous times that money will be provided if the right player comes along. Well he did come along - Wesley Sneijder. And he chose somewhere else.

Now with all due respect to the current squad of players (who are a great set of lads and who play their hearts out) they are not world class players (I actually think Ashley Young is potentially but he is well marked each game) who have the ability to get us into the top 4 without a huge amount of luck and without forcing the issue. And then of course we would have to stay there in order to challenge for the title.

How are we ever going to attract the Wesley Sneijders of the world so that he chooses us over Inter Milan.

Or do you believe we already have a Wesley Sneijder waiting to get on? Is young Nathan going to send us to the top of the league with 30 goals next season?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General, seeing MONs statements today about the possibility of reaching 4th spot, I wonder what you think of a leader going public saying that the goal cannot be reached. I know that was not his exact words, but the message seems rather clear. To me, any leader must believe in the project, if not he should resign. Reading the quotes from MON lately at least they print a picture of a frustrated leader with a clear lack of belief. I am afraid that's not a good leader to me. MON is the manager of this club, equivalent to a CEO of a corporation. He should bring enthusiasm to the organisation, and not the opposite. How will these comments make it easier to sell season tickets? Keep Milner? Bring in new players? Sometimes I think it is better to keep quiet, or if you as a leader lack belief you need to take the consequence.

Hi General,

First of welcome back. I hope you had a good break over the summer.

With the introduction of the uefa financial fair play rule in a few years being introduces will teams have to be breaking even or making a profit! and if so what would be the consequences if teams are not breaking even?

What effects do you think this will have on the clubs with the biggest wage bills and transfer fee?

Will it help to endeavour a more astute level playing field adding more table mobility amongst more teams in the premier league?

Regards!

General,

I have a couple of questions for you.

You talk about slimming the squad due to wages etc, but the Premier League requires we name a 25 man squad come the new season, we stuggled to cope with the current squad size the past few seasons, so can i ask how the board thinks we will improve if we are even smaller next season?

And the second question. There was a rumour circulating about the new sponsorship deal with FX Pro that would see the Villa logo going on a F1 car. Is there any truth in this at all?

Cheers.

General,

Can you see why a lot of fans might be a little down at the moment? We are about to sell our best player just like we did last season, we have no money, we are about to waste yet another 10m on a player from the spl, we have a manager who has been recently quoted as saying we have no chance of improving on our 6th place finish and we still own Emile Heskey.

Tell me. What would inspire you to buy a season ticket this year?

Gen

Welcome back, lets just say, given the expectations of the two nations. I think you lot had a better time in S.A. than us lot.

Can I ask a question.

Going back 4ish years, when we signed the deal with Nike, you stated the intention was to have shirts on a multi-year basis, as you said it was a fair thing.

Obviously, since this time it hasn't been possible, and I think that is understandable. We first had the Nike shirt, but had a year left with 32red. then we had the yearly agreement with Acorns.

However, now, with the 3yr partnership with FX Pro - it seems the perfect chance to bring this in. Personally, and I know there are different views on here, I would think a two-year shirt, alternating between a new home and away shirt each year - is fair.

Any thoughts ?.

On the same note, I like both new shirts. Although I must admit that I am not in favour of the "Americanisation" of our shirts. What I mean by this is that 10 clubs, including us (and not all of the clubs have announced new shirts this year) have announced a "Black" away kit.

What do all away teams in baseball wear ? = co-incidence - I don't think so. However, after saying that, it is nice :D

Paul

Interesting question, I'd like to see it answered too. We have had a new home shirt every season since the Brian Little's team of 1995-97, meaning this is the 14th season in succession we have changed the design of our home shirt. It has to be the "worst" record in all of professional football, lord knows how we get away with it when sides with a bad reputation for changing the design of their kits regularly (Manchester United) change their kit far less frequently than we do.

As for the black away shirt being an Americanization, I dont get it. A black away kit has been a common thing in the Premier League since the referees stopped wearing black in 1992/93. We had a black away kit in 2000/2001, long before there was any American interest in our club.

Someone in the kit thread already proved that this "all away teams in baseball wear black" thing is a complete myth.

Edit: From Wikipedia

Traditionally, when playing at home, teams wore uniforms that were mostly white with trim in team colors and when playing away, they wore uniforms that were mostly gray with trim in team colors

There's a whole article there about baseball unifroms. Nowehere does it mention black away uniforms

I don't know where paulanddonya got this from but I really don't think it's true.

Hi General and welcome back.

Do you know what date we will be able to purchase the new shirts?

Also I heard something is planned for the Trinity Road stand to take it back to it's roots rather than the "giant Wal-mart" that Randy sees standing there. Is there any truth in is?

Hi General,

Hope you had a good break and you are now fully refreshed in time for the new season!

I am part of the Birmingham Eid Mela organising committee for this year - the Eid Mela if you haven't heard of it before is one of the largest annual multicultural festivals in Birmingham, organised in partnership with Birmingham City Council and local organisations and is this year being held in Cannon Hill Park on Sunday 26th September.

The committee have asked me to establish if there was any way the club would allow some of the players / backroom staff to record some goodwill messages in support of the event to be shown online and at various promotional events. If this is possible, who would I need to go through to make it happen? I have been through Duncan Riddle previously about another matter and also raised this but didn't get an answer back, so not sure if he is the right person to ask!

You are more than welcome to attend as our guest, should you be in the country and available to attend!

General, how can the club justify changing the shirt every season given that the shirt is not available to buy until mid September? That's not even a full season to wear it! Surely this means that we will keep this shirt for longer than just one season?

General, in my experience a lot of people buy football tops for their summer holidays, and in particular kids to wear non-stop in the summer school holiday.

as such i think it is fairly pathetic that the kit is not being released til after the summer holidays

general can i just expression my annoyance aswell at the late sales of the team shirts, i have 4 kids and 3 of which follow me and my obession with AVFC, and are wanting the new top, but seeing as it won't be on general sale till after the season has started i wont be bothering, i think its poor by the club to leave it so late especially when other teams sponsored by nike are already out.

either someone at the club needs to make sure we are launched the same time as others from the same brand our we look elsewhere as we seem to be back of the cue every year when it comes to nike.

sorry but its just not exceptable and no doubt you are going to be hounded with many other unsatisfied fans on this subject

also just checked and arsenal's it due to be launched on the 29th july, the manchester united kit is already on general sale, surely its not good business sense to start selling the new kit after the season has started.

surely this is not financally good, as no doubt that we will have a full house for the first game of the season just a shame the fans wont havew the new kit to wear. :cry:

Hi General,

I would just like to say how great it was to see Randy Lerner at the villa bohemians game over the weekend. Great to see that a busy man like Randy has not only time to come to preseason game in Dublin but also took the time to meet and greet the fans. The atmosphere both at the ground and the Villa bar (Murray's on O'connell street) was fantastic and it was great to see the mighty Villa back in the emerald isle. I would hope that the short trip over would become a regular occurance in preseason but I understand this may not be possible. Thanks for all the great work done by the Villa staff over the three days and of course the Irish Lions supporters club who did a great job too :D.

villa89

General,

I don't know whether this has been said before and I can't be bothered to search through pages and pages to see if it has, but can you please use everything in your power to enforce a vuvuzela ban at Villa Park. I am not sitting through games listening to that monotonous drone and it will drive fans away.

Thanks.

Hi General, posted this at the start of the summer but the thread got locked shortly after without a response, hoping you can answer this time around:

Hi Gen, question for the season ticket bars for next season:

For me this is one of the only bones of contention I have with Villa in general and that is having to pay to enter the season ticket holders bars before a match. Firstly, I don't personally believe that as ST holders we should then have to pay a further few quid to enter these bars before a match but I do appreciate that it's a good extra revenue stream for the club and as such my suggestion would be to introduce a sliding scale for entrance fees, for example 2 hours or more before a game - full price, less than 2 hours say half price, one hour or less should be free.

There are many occasions when I have reached the ground later than planned and rather than pay what is in essence around £7 or so for one pint (£3 actual cost of drink + entrance fee) I have instead chosen to simply mull around outside, this has then cost the club the money that I would have paid for a pint but refused to on the basis that I would have had to have spent more just to get in than the cost of the drink itself - which is lunacy!

Is this something you think could be implemented or at least something you could approach the appropriate people regarding?

I appreciate the club will hardly miss the odd £3 from me but I can imagine that there are quite a few other people this could/would relate to.

Thanks and welcome back.