General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way down the list of priorities General, but it's disappointing to see there's still no Mac compatibility with our official website. Can't even download the new screensavers and AVTV still a no-no. Apple is now officially the world's largest tech company - time to convert our IT professors from coal to electric I think.

;)

Hi General,

I just wanted to query what your opinions/thoughts were on the UEFA rule coming into effect forcing clubs to only spend the income in what they 'generate'? Personally I accept there is a need for some sort of regulation that prevents teams getting into a stupid amount of unsustainable debt like Portsmouth, but not such a regulation that will make it harder for clubs like ourselves who arent already in the Champions League to invest in a squad to do so.

Cheers

Scott

Hello General,

First time post to say a big thank you to everyone involved in turning around the club. We have made significant steps of progress in the last 4 years and will undoubtedly make more.

I would like to ask you as you are a military man, who would you rate as the best fighting force throughout history? P.S. don't be biased and say USMC.

General Krulak here:

1. Sorry I have been off the net for a short while...I have been busy on the non-football side of the club.

2. As I have said many times before, I cannot and should not talk about players and transfers. What I will say is that we should be very wary of rumors and comments made on the pages of the sports sections. There have been and will be a good deal of speculation but we should not get concerned about speculation. The Villa is NOT a feeder Club!! Obviously other Clubs will be looking at our players...just as we look at theirs. At the end of the day, Randy and MON know what the Club needs and knows the value of our players. They have been talking over the past months and both have the same goal for our Club. My recommendation is to "kick back" and enjoy the upcoming World Cup!

3. Following my own "guidance", I will be off this site and the others until after the World Cup. I am going to enjoy the football and do what all scouts will be doing...looking a players. Good luck to England and the USA.

• 1 month later...

Update from the General posted elsewhere on the site.

General Krulak here:

A few points:

1) Randy has NOT lost interest in the Club...he has been in the UK more over the past few months than ever...and has been working hard on several important issues. He loves the Villa and his ambitions for the Club have NOT diminished.

2) There are several good posts on this thread re. the "business" involved in running a Premiership Club. Unless you are unbelievably wealthy, you have to ensure that what you do is good for the long term health of the Club. I said before the World Cup that we would need to address some of the salary issues...divesting of some of our players to get the wage bill in synch with the overall business plan AND to allow us to do what we need to do this summer.

3) It is so easy to boil everything down to "sell to buy" but it is not that simple...selling may involve much more than just getting money to spend...it, first and foremost, has to do with ongoing wage bill.

4) As always, I am NOT going to get drawn into a discussion of transfers. What I will say is let the window continue...lets see what happens.

Finally, I have NOT abandoned the thread...I am IN this and have been in this for 4 years. Why would I give up now??? I will pass on my thoughts re. World Cup when things settle down a bit. Up the Villa!!!!

General Krulak here:

1. Regarding James Milner: No matter what happens re. Milner...and NOTHING has been decided...I promise!! James has conducted himself as a true professional. He has kept his head down and is watching what happens with interest. He has worked his socks off for us and I have a lot of respect for the man.

2. The following net spend data for the past couple of years is garnered from the financial records of the applicable Clubs:

a) ManCity: 230M

B) Chelsea: 112M

c) Aston Villa: 102M

d) L'pool: 95M

e. Spurs: 66M

f) Everton: 23M

g) Arsenal: have made 14M profit by selling players

I mention this as an indication that Randy has never given up on the Club and has proven that he is willing to spend. Right now the issue, as I mentioned, is getting a handle on the wage bill. Both MON and Randy understand the importance of this.

Gen

Welcome back, lets just say, given the expectations of the two nations. I think you lot had a better time in S.A. than us lot.

Can I ask a question.

Going back 4ish years, when we signed the deal with Nike, you stated the intention was to have shirts on a multi-year basis, as you said it was a fair thing.

Obviously, since this time it hasn't been possible, and I think that is understandable. We first had the Nike shirt, but had a year left with 32red. then we had the yearly agreement with Acorns.

However, now, with the 3yr partnership with FX Pro - it seems the perfect chance to bring this in. Personally, and I know there are different views on here, I would think a two-year shirt, alternating between a new home and away shirt each year - is fair.

Any thoughts ?.

On the same note, I like both new shirts. Although I must admit that I am not in favour of the "Americanisation" of our shirts. What I mean by this is that 10 clubs, including us (and not all of the clubs have announced new shirts this year) have announced a "Black" away kit.

What do all away teams in baseball wear ? = co-incidence - I don't think so. However, after saying that, it is nice :D

Paul

Welcome back General, hope you have had and continue to have a nice summer and are in good health.

1. Regarding James Milner: No matter what happens re. Milner...and NOTHING has been decided...I promise!! James has conducted himself as a true professional. He has kept his head down and is watching what happens with interest. He has worked his socks off for us and I have a lot of respect for the man.

General, I am not so sure that James has conducted himself that well if what Mon said regarding him stating, via his agent, that he is not interested in discussing a new contract, is true. I'd suggest that is basically saying to the club sell me this summer or my value will decline rapidly as my contract runs down. We have given this lad a platform to perform and in my opinion the manager has helped to turn him from a decent player to a very good player in two years. Hardly seems a way to thank the club by not being interested in showing some loyalty.

Out of interest General as a fan how do you feel about other clubs cherry picking our best players?

Also would you agree that it may be in our interests to tie down both Ashley and Gabby to longer contracts, than the two years they have remaining, before the vultures come a calling.

Good to have you back General.

Mark

Gen - hope you are well. Thanks for contributing to this site and others.

I bought my first ever season ticket last year (largely because my 6-yr old started to talk about Man U and that needed nipping in the bud), and have renewed this year. As tedious as it is to hear, I fully appreciate the needs to sort the wage bill and for Randy to feel like Villa isnt a complete drain of resources....if we ignore Man City's fantasy funds, the rest of the Premiership is living to their means.

So thanks to you and Randy and keep up the good work....I have one request....just one little one....please, please, please can we not have Carlos at RB next season....just have a little word for us all....

All the best

Joe

Hi General. First time poster on your thread, but I've had a season ticket at Villa Park since the age of thirteen and I'd like to think I speak on behalf of the vast majority of Villa fans (see voting thread on matter) when I say that I'd never like to see the singing-based atmosphere to change at Villa Park, and I think that with the possibility of these vuvuzelas being allowed into the ground, this could be spoilt.

What is the clubs stance on the issue of the potential banning of vuvuzelas? The Premier League have indicated that it is up to each individual club to act and Spurs have been the first to do so. I'd hate to see the Villa Park atmosphere tarnished by monotonous trumpets as I feel they had a negative impact on the atmosphere of the World Cup fixtures.

Thanks.

General Krulak here:

1. The racket made by those gross horns absolutely destroyed the World Cup!!!!! Other than that, I have no strong feelings about them!!

2. As a Fan....and I am a big Fan....I don't like seeing any of our great lads leaving us. Simple as that. At the same time, you can't force a lad to stay if he is dead set against staying. I know this will sound like a no-brainer but...the day will come when WE are consistently in the Champions League and pushing for the top spot in the Premiership...when that happens, no one will be cherry picking. The key is to make that happen sooner than later. That is what we have been trying to do.

3. James Milner is a good lad...not just my opinion but the opinion of many.

4. I am going to be off the site for a very short time. I am driving to Tennessee to pick up my grandchildren (5 of them...ages 3-14) and take care of them whilst their parents are moving to new locations in the US. I am NOT checking off the net...I will be back shortly.

This thread is for questions only not discussion.

Good to have you back General, really do think this is a great little thing you do for the fans.

Obviously you won't be able to go into too much detail on this but in terms of trimming the wage budget would the feeling be that the total number is too high, or that its too high for the current crop and with sales of players there'd be no problem sustaining the current figure with new additions in place of those moving on?