• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 21)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 87)

Frustrating game (made worse by the annoying comms we were served here Stateside - was that the comedian from Parklife doing color?).

Friedel - 10 - Saved everything and was under constant pressure.

Cuellar - 6 - Eh. Needed a lot of help from Young that limited our ability to attack.

Dunne - 9 - Beast. Some really timely challenges today.

Collins - 6 - Solid, but should really clear the ball more cleanly...

Young - 6 - No major mistakes, but never a threat coming up either.

Downing - 5 - Never beat his man all day. Has a great cross, could have done more to keep possession today. Weak deadball play - an area which should be our strength.

Petrov - 5 - Very very quiet day for the Bulgarian. Modric seemed to have oceans all day to play as he wished...

Milner - 8 - Immense. Plays everywhere on the pitch. Was let down by teammates on some counters he created.

Young - 4 - A non factor. We need Ashley to be effective to win these kinds of games. Poor finishing on two counters and a subpar free kick.

Gabby - 4 - Forced what I thought was a clear handball early on, but then didn't do much the rest of the way. Everything he hit was straight at Gomez, and on two or three occasions he tried to help the defense but ended up giving Spurs possession in very dangerous spots.

Carew - 4 - Doesn't look match fit. Had two opps in front of goal that a healthy Carew buries - instead he hit them with a bizarre nonchalance that was very dissappointing. Was put in a tough spot by the amount of route 1 we played today...

is that a joke? milner was anonymous for much of the game other than when handballing it when in good positions to launch a break

he has been excellent in many games since moving to CM, but it is not the first time he has looked decidedly average against good centre-mids

Spurs = boring long ball team

Villa = Ten men behind the ball, desperate not to lose team.

you were at home, you were meant to be the team trying to beat us, a point away from home against a top 6 side is a good result. But because your manager has no sense at all, he just lumped the ball in the box against a back line of Cuellar, Collins, Dunne and Young.. yeah, good luck with that. :lol:

You played the exact tactic when we met at Villa Park in November too. What's the excuse there?

We hardly ever play balls right upto our strikers, in fact we don't do it enough. The amount of times we're just so keen to play it out wide and hope Jimmy/Ash/Downing do something great is ridiculous.

You're just lucky Dawson is allowed to use his hands, otherwise we'd have taken 6 points off you. :winkold:

I think the problem with Downing is he's missing Warnock, he looks more assured on the ball with Warnock playing behind him and using the overlap. We are a better team when Warnock is playing.

you may have a point, or maybe its a case of warnock making downing look better than he really is.

he is starting to really annoy me to be honest - no fight, no commitment and whilst he does have ability on the ball, he also is guaranteed to make two or three really woeful passes per game which either cost us a good attacking position, or worse still allow the opposition to counter us.

Fluent? Is it fluent to hoof the ball up from their back four to Crouch all the time?

Or as the Bentley stats showed after first half: 0 completed passes but 6 or 8 (dont quite remember) crosses (all into the box toward Crouch).

Stoke is more fluent.

either way, after watching and tearing my hair out at VP when we displayed all the ambition of a non-league side deferring to our great opponents, watching us v Spurs is not a fixture I'll bother with. It's embarrassing and just provides more fuel to those suggesting spurs and more intent on taking 4th spot. So we defended extremely well - that is good - but it is just simply sad that it appears - and I do accept i may be wrong as I didn't watch it _ that we were acting small time Hull like in not wanting to lose. Pathetic IMO and long term will not get us where we need to be. But from a purely statistical point of view - it's a decent point. And if it's all about stats and points at the end of the day - then fair enough and let's go celebrate, but I can't enthuse about us being a good side when we put up showings like that. Why not play like we did against Fulham or even at Old Trafford where we combined stubborn defense with actual offense and look we were rewarded for bothering to try there and won! How valuable would 3 points have been today?

I'm Simply saying on the evidence of the manner of the game today you can't disagree when neutrals denigrate our top 4 aspirations and the media don't get excited in the same way they would about spurs or man city or even liverpool. It's like Everton in 05, people will bemoan that a negative side will be representing the country in the UK - and that dour stubborness is no long term viable means of establishing ourselves.

We do play good football at times, we have done it enough this season to back that up, but always - against Spurs, Man City, Everton we always look second rate and the struggling lower side. We need a massive improvement in these types of games imo, otherwise we're nothing more than pretenders.

they had 28 efforts to our 10 according to the beeb, and whilst the only one that matters may be slightly in our favour, it suggests that we're a spawny side who spawn results they barely deserve through one basic element of die hard defending. How nice it would be if we could win points in these fixtures with some flourishing football or heaven-forbid at least look to impose ourselves rather than bend over and spend our time running away from the cock, forgetting we wield our own cock to inflict some **** upon too.

But hey, it's all about stats now, so hooray a point!

Oddly I'm sure we'll play better against United on wednesday, but always, why must we be shit against sp*rs? it's annoying.

Utterly woeful attacking performance , just lucky Dunne was absolutely superb.

Since Heskey / Downing have come into our side we have beome route one boring Villa.

I cannot believe you have a midfield that includes Milner and Young , nd what do you do, hoof the ball over their heads.

It is no co-incidence that since the Man U game on Dec. 5th (which I think was Downings 2nd game, and Heskey played about 2 weeks before - we have become dull, hoofers.

We have lost to Arsenal, lost to Liverpool, drew to Arsneal, drew to West Ham, drew to Spurs and beat Fulham.

But yet again , MON has buggered around with a winning formula and is now to stubborn to admit it is wrong.

Only good thing, I thought we'd get pasted today - luckily Dunne and Cueller stopped that happening.

Those 2 goals last week for Gabby could be the worst thing that happened to us, because if MON was 50/50 whether we needed a forward before that, he made his decision that we didn't need one - and it will cost us.

Kevin Keegan just summed it up - that is our strongest side , the teams around is all have their big players to return.

Content with a point - yes, but the performance was attrocious - and its getting very regular now.

is that a joke? milner was anonymous for much of the game other than when handballing it when in good positions to launch a break

he has been excellent in many games since moving to CM, but it is not the first time he has looked decidedly average against good centre-mids

Not at all Slowandlow - I thought Milner was crucial in keeping the score sheet today, covering back for Luke Young on several occasions, and kicking off counter attacks. Looked to be the only member of our team not completely knackered at matches end.

But to each his own.

Utterly woeful attacking performance , just lucky Dunne was absolutely superb.

Since Heskey / Downing have come into our side we have beome route one boring Villa.

I cannot believe you have a midfield that includes Milner and Young , nd what do you do, hoof the ball over their heads.

It is no co-incidence that since the Man U game on Dec. 5th (which I think was Downings 2nd game, and Heskey played about 2 weeks before - we have become dull, hoofers.

We have lost to Arsenal, lost to Liverpool, drew to Arsneal, drew to West Ham, drew to Spurs and beat Fulham.

But yet again , MON has buggered around with a winning formula and is now to stubborn to admit it is wrong.

Only good thing, I thought we'd get pasted today - luckily Dunne and Cueller stopped that happening.

Those 2 goals last week for Gabby could be the worst thing that happened to us, because if MON was 50/50 whether we needed a forward before that, he made his decision that we didn't need one - and it will cost us.

Kevin Keegan just summed it up - that is our strongest side , the teams around is all have their big players to return.

Content with a point - yes, but the performance was attrocious - and its getting very regular now.

You can hardly blame Downing for us being direct. If anything we were just as direct before he came into the side. What was this winning formula you speak of?

We really miss Warnock's attacking threat down the left for me and Young back on the right, it allows our wingers to push in at times and find space in the holes without having to stay wide for 90 minutes because both aren't willing to over-lap.

I do think our midfield still goes missing alot of games.

Today it was basically

Defence:

Gabby.

Liverpool have Torres to return. We have Warnock.

Spurs have? City have? :?

Remembered Lennon actually!