Poll only for british people, please. The rest, discuss.

Pelle

Would you vote for an unmarried and single candidate for PM?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Would you vote for an unmarried and single candidate for PM?

• Yes, no problem.
    • Simply no

There's always one... :P Well, not a survey big enough to convince my brother, but the fact that you've already had one is good enough for me. Thanks for the answers, everybody. And remember that I thought you might so don't shoot me. :D

Even at the time pretty much everybody knew that Ted Heath was gay. Nobody really cared.

There's no evidence, AFAIK (which is to say thanks to a quick look at wikipedia), that Heath had sex with anyone ever...

Even at the time pretty much everybody knew that Ted Heath was gay. Nobody really cared.

There's no evidence, AFAIK (which is to say thanks to a quick look at wikipedia), that Heath had sex with anyone ever...

"The waxwork-quality of Heath, quite as much as his unmarried status, led to inevitable ribaldry whenever the question of his emotional or erotic preferences were discussed. Sub-editors no doubt deliberately introduced double-entendres into a headline for a story concerning the night-time predatory prowls of homosexual parliamentarians on Hampstead Heath: MPs USE HEATH FOR SEX. The image of the waxwork being involved in actual sexal encounters would have been comic even before he turned into the obese , seemingly immortal curmudgeon of his many years on the back benches of the House of Commons. Inevitably there was the suggestion that, at some earlier stage, he had been sexually active. Brian Coleman, a Conservative member of the London executive in the early 21st Century, and himself a homosexual, claimed, in an article in the New Statesman ofApril 2007, that it was 'well known' in gay circles that Heath 'managed to obtain the highest office of state after he was supposedly advised to cease his cottaging activities in the fifties when he bcame a Privy Counciller'".
(A. N. Wilson "Our Times", 2009)

so, Lev's right.

No evidence, just "suggestion" and "claimed" and "well known" and "supposedly".

Yes. No evidence. I wasn't denying Levi's staement, merely adding a footnote that MIGHT indicate otherwise.

I would say Heath was gay, whether he was sexually active or not. But, as I said, pretty irrelevant to his tenure as PM.

well, granted, he might have had homsexual leanings.

he also might have had hetero leanings.

if neither were acted upon, it's quite diffuclt to tell.

we're just left with conjecture, I guess.

But you are also correct, in that it's irrelevant to his skills as a PM.

I actaully quite liked Heath's policies and values. He was certainly to the left of the then tory party

He was certainly to the left of the then tory party

he was almost certainly gay as all lefties are :winkold:

what are the wooly liberals then?

apart from yoghurt knitters, obviously! :winkold:

• 6 months later...
Ted Heath was 40 years ago - neither him nor Jeremy Thorpe would be elected to lead their parties nowadays. Nowadays politicians will get married to avoid any awkward questions (*cough*ffion*cough*).
At this stage I would just like to make a complete and unreserved withdrawal of the above observation.

There are some really sad bones to be picked out of this Hague story.

Firstly, that it matters where his sexual preferences lie. I know the ‘angle’ will be deceit and trust and potentially exploitable secret life etc.. The reality is, it’s an attempt to out a gayer.

Secondly that he sees a need to open up his and his wife’s most intimate life story to the gutter press to pick through and interrogate.

Thirdly, that he could possibly possibly possibly believe that the defence of I’m trying for a baby with my missus is in any way proof he wouldn’t have an affair with a man. I don’t know if that smacks of naivety or desperation. Has he never watched Eastenders!

Either way it wouldn’t influence whether or not I would vote for the evil snivelling career tory politico.

Â