PL: Spurs a Match Thread 2010/02/06 17:30

limpid

Here's the usual pre-match team news update from the Spurs OS:

New arrivals Eidur Gudjohnsen, Younes Kaboul and Kyle Walker go straight into the squad for Saturday's big Premier League clash against Villa.

Neither were available for Wednesday's FA Cup replay at Leeds United, although Eidur can now play in the fifth round at his former club Bolton. Younes and Kyle are cup-tied.

Ledley King is fit again and both Luka Modric and Wilson Palacios come back into the frame after being on the bench for the 3-1 win at Elland Road.

Roman Pavlyuchenko remains a doubt with a groin problem and although Aaron Lennon is also out with his groin injury, there is encouraging news on his progress. "He's getting closer," said Harry. "He's working with the fitness coaches at the moment.

"He's not doing ball work yet but he's running again in straight lines and will soon be checking, twisting and turning again. He's on his way back."

Benoit Assou-Ekotto (hip), Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Carlo Cudicini (wrist, pelvis) remain sidelined.

Meanwhile, in terms of the role of captain following Robbie Keane's loan departure to Celtic, Harry added: "Michael Dawson has been captaining the side and Ledley King can as well, it's not a massive problem.

"They are both terrific characters and if it's not one of them, there are many other players who can do it.

"Whoever takes the armband I've got faith in them to be able to carry out what I want from them on the pitch."

I'd expect Spurs to line up with:

---------- Gomes ------

Corluka - Dawson - King - Bale

Bentley - Palacios - Huddlestone - Modric

------- Defoe - Crouch

If Petrov is injured then I'd prefer to either see Sidwell in a 4-4-2 or Delph in a 4-5-1 (I'll let Martin decide which)

I really hope that MON doesn't play Petrov if he is slightly suffering!

There's having faith in a player and then there's having too much faith.

Unfortunatly, MON seems to have the latter when it comes to Petrov.

I'll go for a 2-1 Villa if Petrov isn't injured or we play Sidders/ Delph.

If Petrov is played and not 100% then I'm going to regretfully say 2-0 to the COCKneys.

I do fancy Gabby's pace to trouble King (now he is a sporadic performer) and Dawson.

Interesting battle - pace and crossing ability against guile and technique? I would say we are much pacier and more direct whilst they are probably more composed footballers.

I do fancy Gabby's pace to trouble King (now he is a sporadic performer) and Dawson.

Interesting battle - pace and crossing ability against guile and technique? I would say we are much pacier and more direct whilst they are probably more composed footballers.

I agree with this fully.

I have no stats to back this up, but I think they have a tendancy to send a lot forward. Corluka, Bale, Bentley, Huddlestone, Crouch, Defoe and Modric all seem to get forward and have shots on goal at some point or another. I'd like to think that we can catch them on the counter a couple of times.

Another goal please Gabby!

unfortunately I can only see a defeat

I agree with you again.

Although saying that, it's been going very well for the club when you and I agree a win looks unlikely, so that might be a good omen.

I certainly hope so. I would love to be proven wrong

Reckon it'll be a draw myself, but this remains one of the few fixtures where I'd love us to absolutely tonk them. Most other games I'm happy just for the win, but as with Small Heath, theres a great desire in me to see this lot embarassed.

2 - 0 Defoe getting both (the bastard). Milner to pick up a knock which turns out to be a broken metatarsal and keeps him out for the rest of the season.

Feeling very pessimistic at the moment.

I hope im wrong.

For the record - I would take a defeat if it meant having Milner fit/a good shot at the cup.

... their back four are very suspect. Corluka is an absolute shambles of a player in my opinion and we should really exploit that fact.

Your assessment doesn't really square with the facts.

Spurs have the 5th best defence in the Prem so far in terms of goals conceded and have let in just 3 goals (all in away games) in the last 8 league games. And this is despite playing more attacking football than do many teams.

Only one team has scored more than 1 goal at WHL in a league game all season, and that was Manchester Utd.

Corluka was bobbins for the SHA goal last week. Decent player but does have his dozzy moments now and again defending.

I fear we'll lose this 3-1.

2 - 0 Defoe getting both (the bastard). Milner to pick up a knock which turns out to be a broken metatarsal and keeps him out for the rest of the season.

Feeling very pessimistic at the moment.

I hope im wrong.

For the record - I would take a defeat if it meant having Milner fit/a good shot at the cup.

:| So you'd take a defeat on the basis that you have had 'thoughts' that Milner may get injured? That's a weird train of thought you've just taken....!