PL: Spurs a Match Thread 2010/02/06 17:30

limpid

Be great if Lennon is out. I possibly worry about Collins with Defoe and Crouch. I think he's brilliant but I'm not sure whether he's been at his best since he's been back from injury, although thought he was pretty good against Fulham and Arse.

I think the midfield battle is there to be won but they have alot of creativity in their time which is worrying. Bale still defensively can be suspect so hopefully Young gets at him, while Downing has the pace and footballing brain to cause Corluka problems. Agbonlahor in behind Dawson could be good aswell, it should be a decent contest. I said 2-0 to Spurs earlier in the week, I possibly change my mind, a draw.

Exactly, their back four are very suspect. Corluka is an absolute shambles of a player in my opinion and we should really exploit that fact.

Although, I'm going to go for a sneaky 2-1 win to us. I think we may just be able to squeeze a win out of it.

Corluka a shambles of player? Seriously? I think he's a bit of a Cuellar at RB, i.e. not his natural position but he's a bloody good defender. Surprising opinion.

For a very suspect back 4 they have kept a lot of clean sheets lately ( think they had 5 in a row up to liverpool ) and then one more against Fulham a week ago. Would agree that bale is the weakest link in their backline but does offer a good deal goin forward so wingers will have to work hard tracking back ( as they do) and might find some space in behind him when going forward.

Would also agree with corluka been very similiar to carlos at right back.

Bale is a brillaint young defendr dont judge him on that record he had.

I disagree with this one like I disagree that Corluka is a bad player.

Bale is excellent going forward but is a poor defender.

However he is only 20 and has been getting a bad rep for about 2 years now.

But he will still be the same player on Saturday so let's go for him. 8)

... their back four are very suspect. Corluka is an absolute shambles of a player in my opinion and we should really exploit that fact.

Your assessment doesn't really square with the facts.

Spurs have the 5th best defence in the Prem so far in terms of goals conceded and have let in just 3 goals (all in away games) in the last 8 league games. And this is despite playing more attacking football than do many teams.

Only one team has scored more than 1 goal at WHL in a league game all season, and that was Manchester Utd.

Only one team has scored more than 1 goal at WHL in a league game all season, and that was Manchester Utd.

This does worry me.

It seems that both defences are quite tight - so it will probably be decided by the quality of the strikers - which if we're honest Spurs have the edge on us for - Defoe is something we're missing - a pure goalscorer. Their strike partnership is better suited together than our own. However, id say our midfiled perhaps offers more of a goal threat then theirs.

There isnt much between the two sides - but we need to asert ourselves more confidently then we did when we played them at our place.

Bale is a brillaint young defendr dont judge him on that record he had.

Bale is a brilliant young player, not defender. Defending is the worst part of his game, or rather his positional sense is. Which is kind of important for a defender. I like him and think he has a great future but at present his shortcomings are painfully obvious and need to be sorted before he'll progress in the Premier League.

We will have to be carefull to about giving away free-kicks in and around our box as spurs more than most teams have quality free kick takers. We gave a few away on Sat and were not punished so have to be a bit more mindfull this weekend

... their back four are very suspect. Corluka is an absolute shambles of a player in my opinion and we should really exploit that fact.

Your assessment doesn't really square with the facts.

Spurs have the 5th best defence in the Prem so far in terms of goals conceded and have let in just 3 goals (all in away games) in the last 8 league games. And this is despite playing more attacking football than do many teams.

Only one team has scored more than one goal at Villa Park in a league game all season, and villa have 1st best defence in the prem so far in terms of goals conceded!.. And your point is?..

Only one team has scored more than one goal at Villa Park in a league game all season, and villa have 1st best defence in the prem so far in terms of goals conceded!.. And your point is?..

My point was - and is - obviously in response to the silly earlier comment that the Spurs back four "are very suspect. Corluka is an absolute shambles of a player ..."

You must already know this, since you multi-quoted the posts concerned. So your question is entirely hollow.

My point was - and is - obviously in response to the silly earlier comment that the Spurs back four "are very suspect. Corluka is an absolute shambles of a player ..."

You must already know this, since you multi-quoted the posts concerned. So your question is entirely hollow.

Ive seen milk turn quicker than your back 4!.. Run that point past me again!..

To be fair I think Spurs defence is quite good and is nowhere near as bad as some Villa fans are making out

Corluka is a good right back who I've seen mark Ashley Young out of the game before, although other times he's been shocking against Young

Dawson gives away a lot of silly fouls. Concedes free kicks when he doesn't need to but is normally a good defender.

The one thing I agree with people on here is that Bale is a really bad defender. He's a great player but should not be a left back, more like a left winger or he could play as a LWB in a 5-3-2 formation

Oh and we need to watch out for Bentley, the amount of dives he commited today against Leeds was frustrating

I'd be happy with a draw from this game

Just watched Spurs play Leeds off the park. They created so many chances it is a joke. It is going to be a difficult game on Saturday, but no where near impossible. We also are a good team........just need to take our chances.

This match will really test our defence......COME ON THE VILLA!!!

My concern is this match is like a cup final to Spurs while we have ours at the end of the month!

We tend to raise our game against the big clubs which is why I'm worried going to Spurs. They're only London's 4th top club based on the last complete season so hopefully motivation won't be a problem.

Regardless of the result we'll still have won more top flight league titles than Huddersfield Town :)

I just polished up my crystal ball. Gabby with a header in the first half. Downing with a strike that's deflected in traffic in the second half. Bunker down and give up a late goal to Defoe who's first to pounce on a follow up shot. 2-1 to villa and everybody except glastonspur rejoices.

Spurs played some nice football against Leeds last night, they passed the ball well, moved into space and closed down Leeds whenever they were in possession. That said this was against a top 2nd Division side and not a top 7 premiership side. I think if we get the better of them in midfield then the game is there for the taking, it's going to require a very good performance though and a no surrender attitude from all 11 players on the pitch, which is what we're good at!

Good game to watch last night. Spuds played Leeds off the park but Leeds were playing a RM at left back and two defensive minded CM'ers as well as missing their main CB so difficult to draw any conclusions.

I think the Spurs back 4 is good but misses an inspitational leader without King or Woodgate - for me Dawson always looks better alongside 1 of these two, a bit like Curtis for us.

I think they will change their midfield for our game with Palacios and Modric replacing Jenas (really can't see what makes him a top half premiership player let alone an England international) and Krancjar. Bentley looked good again last night but he was against a right midfielder - I think Luke will sort him out. I think they are short of pace without Lennon but blessed with trickery, invention and passing from Huddlestone.

Crouch looked dominant but will not find it as easy against Collins. Defoe had so many chances but scored with a poor mishit and a close range effort that he couldn't miss. Hopefully, we won't give him that amount of space.

Really looking forward to this. I think Gabby could do well against Bassong and Dawson and draw some free kicks out of them. Ash and DJ should be able to give Bale a hard time but will also need to track his runs or work with Cuellar to cover that wing. I felt we were the marginally better side at VP in the first half but gave to much ground in the last 30 mins and MON did nothing tactically to prevent this. If the game followed that same pattern I would want to see Sidders replacing Heskey to close down the space in CM.

Fingers crossed for a draw at worst.