• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 57)

For me it is quite simply poor quality strikers which keep costing us. Good strikers have that composure in front of goal.. That is what makes the difference compared with an average one.

Composure means a cool head when given an opportunity. i.e. quickly weighing up the options, making the correct choice & executing what is normally a straightforward finish.

Well all i see from our strikers is hesitation when an opportunity arises, then an inability to make the correct choice followed by panicky shooting on realising that yet again they have fluffed the chance.

IN OTHER WORDS TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE TO WHAT A QUALITY STRIKER DOES!!!!

Result: LACK OF GOALS.

What said it all for me was when we won at the Emirates last season & Gabby had scored the second.. He stated..."I wasn't sure what to do so i just whacked it & fortunately it went in" ENOUGH SAID!!

Look at Rooneys finish against Burnley yesterday as proof of what you were saying.

Heskey - 5 - Didn't do much today.

Carew (sub) - 6 - Did better than Heskey in my opinion and gave us a little bit of life.

I know its your opinion and all but Carew was abysmal today he did less than **** all he really needs to start trying again cos hes taking the piss out of us now we give him so much adulation and in return he trots around.

Its a shame to see no subs after MoN really went for it against Liverpool at 0-0 maybe he was too worried after last time?

I see it's the usual VT reaction when we don't win 5-0.

Performance wasn't the best but we had the chances to win it. People have complained about tactics and not changing things but our tactics and not changing things gave our top scorer 3 superb chances and he should have scored and we should have won the game.

I see some have now said top 4 no chance, does that mean Liverpool drawing rules them out? Man city losing rules them out? Spurs drawing rules them out? Blues for champions league then

I see it's the usual VT reaction when we don't win 5-0.

Performance wasn't the best but we had the chances to win it. People have complained about tactics and not changing things but our tactics and not changing things gave our top scorer 3 superb chances and he should have scored and we should have won the game.

I see some have now said top 4 no chance, does that mean Liverpool drawing rules them out? Man city losing rules them out? Spurs drawing rules them out? Blues for champions league then

BOOOOOORED!!!

Mind numbingly dull football, worth a tenner of my money and no more.

All around the 6 mark apart from the following:

Downing: 3 - gave the ball away time and time again.

A Young: 5 - plays too wide and NEVER beats his man. Doesn't realise there's more to football than constantly whipping crosses in (often poor crosses at that).

Petrov: 4 - although fairly decent on the ball, we needed him to move the ball quickly and get about the pitch rather than hang around in front of defence.

Milner: 5 - wasteful at times but I feel sorry for him in these kind of games as he needs more help alongside him.

Gabby: 3.5 - no intelligent movement, no natural finishing ability. Fluffed 2 golden chances.

O'Neil: 2 - Why was Reo not on the bench (not necessairly having a go here - was he injured?)? In a game where the opposition sat deep and flooded the midfield, a central pairing including Stan had nowhere near enough energy to make things happen. The game was crying out for Reo or Delph to mix things up a little.

Without a new striker, we definitely will not get champions league football.

What drugs are you on please,?

Downing 3? Okay he gave the ball away a couple of times but I thought his play on the wing and when he came in was good.

Gabby no finishing ability? When he's on fire he won't miss, although he struggles when he's not in form.

Young didn't have his best game but I think with Milner pushing forward in the middle that Youngs job is to get out wide and play to his abilities... ie crossing. (Although as you rightly pointed out he didn't have that great a game.

Agree with you about Reo or Delph. It was a scrap in the middle. We need more grit and umph in the middle imo.

Edit: From my memory Gabby had one shot he skied but apart from that he forced a good save from Green second half and his first touch let him down with the 1 on 1 at the end.

We weren't that bad today I thought. It was just "one of them days". We could have easily been 2 or 3 up at halftime. Its not easy when teams turn up to park the bus and counter.

The main things that worried me were Petrov going completely missing in the second half, just a pure lack of fitness. Someone should have replaced him. We were crying out for some fresh legs in the second half, just to shake it. He made the same sub that he always does, Carew for Heskey. It never works, Carew isn't interested. And why take off Heskey when he was one of our better players on the pitch?

Downing was good today, he ran at defenders, which I haven't seen him do much since he has started playing.

Phew normal service has been resumed - the Villa tinted glasses of BJ are firmly in place.

But he didn't score those 3 (?) chance BJ, nor did we look to have alternatives. It was a very one dimensional Villa today and after the efforts of Thursday, the argument for use of the squad system are very much there to be asked? MON's tactics and team played to type today and there was no freshness about it. Despite what you say there are a lot of very valid comments in this thread, on the whole sensible frustrations that come from watching a case of 2 points dropped rather than 1 point gained.

Teams that typically qualify for the champs league have that strength in depth across al areas. For us it seems that the one are specifically where we lack that is up front. Maybe this transfer window should get interesting after all?

BOOOOOORED!!!

Mind numbingly dull football, worth a tenner of my money and no more.

All around the 6 mark apart from the following:

Downing: 3 - gave the ball away time and time again.

A Young: 5 - plays too wide and NEVER beats his man. Doesn't realise there's more to football than constantly whipping crosses in (often poor crosses at that).

Petrov: 4 - although fairly decent on the ball, we needed him to move the ball quickly and get about the pitch rather than hang around in front of defence.

Milner: 5 - wasteful at times but I feel sorry for him in these kind of games as he needs more help alongside him.

Gabby: 3.5 - no intelligent movement, no natural finishing ability. Fluffed 2 golden chances.

O'Neil: 2 - Why was Reo not on the bench (not necessairly having a go here - was he injured?)? In a game where the opposition sat deep and flooded the midfield, a central pairing including Stan had nowhere near enough energy to make things happen. The game was crying out for Reo or Delph to mix things up a little.

Without a new striker, we definitely will not get champions league football.

Not sure some on here even know anything about football, we played well up to putting the ball inn the net, I know its a game of opinions but try to find a bit about the game of football before you talk a load of crap.

Downing 3 you having a laugh

Big John I do admire your refusal to say anything negative about Villa, but when you watch a putrid performance like that with frustrating management, player favoritism and no inclination to at least try something different. People are going to be irritated. That is why this is a reaction thread.

Just as the reaction was positive after the 2 blackburn games, and the scores were 3-1 (with Delph and NRC) and 1-0. Not 5-0 as you suggest.

It seems you are happy with deliberately throwing away points because you are too stubborn to make a change because that is what you are paid to do.

It's frustrating, we have three main ways in which we can win a game.

i.) Crosses in to the box - and we put dozens of them into the mixer today. I'd love to know how many we put over and I don't think there will be a single Premiership game this season where one team will have put in as many crosses as we have today, they weren't perfect, some were downright bad but a number were decent. However, after the first half a dozen or so, it became pretty much apparent that West Ham could defend crosses pretty well, Green made a number of excellent takes and Upson and Tomkins looked comfortable. We didn't learn however and continued to try the same thing for the next 80 minutes to no real effect.

ii.) Failing that we sometimes score when Gabby spins a centre half and gets through, he managed this once today and then spoilt it with a heavy touch. If he has a day when he's not got his shooting boots on then this route isn't going to work.

iii.) Very occasionally Milner or Ashley produce a moments brilliance - I felt Young did alright today but never looked likely to get into a scoring position and I thought James Milner had his worst game in a Villa shirt, he was probably our worst player on the day. Thankfully that doesn't happen much.

And that's it.

We don't build through the middle, we don't play through balls, we don't keep possession and break teams down and if we can't beat you with crosses then 80% of our threat is gone.

West Ham deserve some credit, I thought Upson was excellent and I thought their midfield did very well. They benefited from a slightly card shy referee, but I don't think we can hold it against him.

We defended well and I think we look as solid as we have for a while, but until we produce another option to score goals, we'll have days like this.

It's an opportunity missed and one that makes Wednesday's game even more important, if we can beat Blackburn then 6th will almost definitely be a European place. On todays form, that might prove to be just as important as a trip to Wembley.

Who are all the muppetts just dismissing today as rubbish? Remember O'leary's reign in charge? We created today 13 chances of which 3-4 were good ones. On another day we would have won comfortably as had over 15 corners which we nomally have sucess from. Petrov man of the match by a mile. My only criticism is MON possibly did not change things up in the last 20 mins. I was thinking Sidwell for Carlos shifting Milner to RB as Carlos did alright but offers nothing going forward.

Who are all the muppetts just dismissing today as rubbish? Remember O'leary's reign in charge? We created today 13 chances of which 3-4 were good ones. On another day we would have won comfortably as had over 15 corners which we nomally have sucess from. Petrov man of the match by a mile. My only criticism is MON possibly did not change things up in the last 20 mins. I was thinking Sidwell for Carlos shifting Milner to RB as Carlos did alright but offers nothing going forward.

I am a muppet because today was rubbish.

Strange game, we seemed comfortable throughout and on occassions our approach play was good is a little tawdry. We really need to start playing more balls through the middle because it become svery obvious when we continually play down the wings. What stands out most from todays game is that we desperately need a goalscorer, a predatory striker, a Dean Saunders type of player whose gonna to move in the box. Gabby holds the ball up well and runs the chanells but we really need that "fox in the box" to actually fashion chances. Another misse dopportunity to capitalise on dropped points by the teams around us, it's shaping up to be another nearly season in the league.

So stupidly frustrating.

We still can`t break teams down at home, its not exactly a new thing is it? Why do we not use our subs just to try something different in these games?

Gabby was so obssessed today in holding the ball up and fighting their cb`s he forgot to run the channels and take shots a goal, why take another touch ta the end?

Why play a defensive rb who won`t go forward and support the attack against a team who weren`t interested in attackin us unless on the break? L.Young would have made a big difference in that game, overlapping which ever winger was on the right.

I thought the defence was ok although Collins isn`t as solid as he was when he first came in, the midfield kept the ball ok at time but didn`t use Milner anywhre near well enough. A. Young was pretty terrible, not sure what his outstanding sttribute is at themoment, he didn`t do anything Albrighton couldn`t have for 30 mins today. Heskey linked play up ok untill he went off, never a big goal threat. Gabby didn`t do enough and missed two very, very good chances. Carew in the main just looks disinterested.

I am a muppet because today was rubbish.

Yeah you are mate. On another day we score one of the chances, West Ham then have to attack us as they just packed midfield all game and we go on and score a hatfull. It just didnt quite happen today, one of those things. really bloody productive just dismissing it at rubbish aint it? Muppet!

Fair enough but I don't remember any clear chances apart from Gabby skewing horribly over and cocking up again in the 92nd minute. And if Petrov was man of the match by a mile, then I must have been watching another game.