• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 57)

We played the usual one dimensional football and were too predictable. The need for a quality creative midfielder and striker is even more apparent now.

We won't get it though and O'Neill will preside over another collaspe this season.

Im pretty sure we played one long one dimensional ball which resulted in Gabby getting a one on one. We tried to play through them, get the ball out to the wings, they defended very well with 10 men behind the ball. Credit where its due to them.

We played the usual one dimensional football and were too predictable. The need for a quality creative midfielder and striker is even more apparent now.

We won't get it though and O'Neill will preside over another collaspe this season.

Im pretty sure we played one long one dimensional ball which resulted in Gabby getting a one on one. We tried to play through them, get the ball out to the wings, they defended very well with 10 men behind the ball. Credit where its due to them.

That ball whihc was played to gabby to create his 90th minute chanced needed to have been played throughout the game. We just kept running into dead ends. two of Gabs chances were created from a simple turn of the last defender. The ball was hardly anywhere near Carew when he came on, i thought we would make the difference but the service to him was poor. No doubt MON must have put a rocket up their arse after the game.

I asked the General about whether we'd learnt lessons about previous seasons and not investing in January on his thread and his answer was basically that MON has the full backing of Randy and Randy has never turned down a request from MON for money for a particular player. Which leads me to think that MON must think we've got enough. Because if the money wasn't there, I'm sure he'd at least strongly hint that that was why he wasn't spending.

exactly.

we rarely if ever hear from MON, or the Gen or anyone at Villa that MON has asked for certain players or certain amounts of money and been refused.

What we do continually hear is that MON often cannot get the players he wants, be that becuase clubs won't sell, or becuase they don't want to come here etc.

We need to learn to be more riskier with the passing at times. I saw sometimes where Milner or Heskey finally found an opening of space or Gabby had pinned the defender. The ball needed to be zipped into them between a couple of defenders, a risky pass but could of been made but we didn't do it and were too reluctant to try that final pass I felt. In the end we got the ball wide and put a cross in or won a corner etc..

Not going to say he should of started but someone like Delph seems confident in his ability enough to try these passes, felt Petrov was too reluctant to try it. Yeah you need patience to break a team down like how West Ham set up yesterday but once there's just a little opening of getting the ball into a striker or advancing midfielder in a dangerous position, we need a sharp incisive pass. We rarely delivered.

Can I just add, after reflection after yesterday's game how pleased I am we have Stewart Downing. His passing was fantastic yesterday spraying it short-range long- range - you name it, brilliant. He was our only player who gave us that bit of creativity in midfield and genuinely looked like he could of split West Ham's defence apart and was very close to doing so on a couple of occasions. I think he's a great player and his movement in from the left-wing swifting into the middle with grace then going on run that will scare any defence is the creativity we've needed. He stood out for me yesterday then followed by Dunne (always great), A.Young and Warnock.

My problem with ash, was not his poor passing first half, as this can happen every now and then.

But was his movement, there were times when Carlos had the ball and moving forward and he came towards him to get the ball.

He should of been moving forward and playing off the shoulder for the ball in behind. He was either knackered or wanting to beat the man himself or not trusting the service.

My problem with ash, was not his poor passing first half, as this can happen every now and then.

But was his movement, there were times when Carlos had the ball and moving forward and he came towards him to get the ball.

He should of been moving forward and playing off the shoulder for the ball in behind. He was either knackered or wanting to beat the man himself or not trusting the service.

Agree'd, sitting the trinity it was all to clear that Ash was playing to deep and making life more uncomfortable for Cuellar by not pushing up field and giving carlos space to run into.

I think it's fun reading these pages. The consensus in the first dozen or so is that Villa is an utter shambles and may play in coca-cola next week. Gradually a few interject some positives, eventually a more balanced view comes to play.

I thought our midfield 4 bossed their midfield 5 for 90% of the game. Very impressive display of movement and possession passes. I believe the totals were something like 16 corners, 15 shots, 38% of the match in our attacking third.

Clearly we put too many crosses too close to Green and too many crosses were too short or too long, but there were at least 10 blocked shots that could have just as easily bounced into a corner of the net than anywhere else. Need to be more precise and ruthless in the final third, no question about it. But a thoroughly dominating performance overall.

Cuellar was too deep to start with. Luke Young should of started. Warnock never has a problem of over-lapping Young when he plays on the left. Yet Cuellar a CB at RB doesn't over-lap his man or produce good quality on the ball, that's a shock.

Yep, Young should have started. MON got that wrong, in my opinion but overall I don't think the result was down to him. The side he put out created enough chances for at least 4 goals, another day and we could have battered them.

Cuellar was too deep to start with. Luke Young should of started. Warnock never has a problem of over-lapping Young when he plays on the left. Yet Cuellar a CB at RB doesn't over-lap his man or produce good quality on the ball, that's a shock.

Yep, Young should have started. MON got that wrong, in my opinion but overall I don't think the result was down to him. The side he put out created enough chances for at least 4 goals, another day and we could have battered them.

Same team. More incisive passing though was needed and subsitutions!

As for Petrov being up there for MOTM, Why? although tbh there weren't many other options and he did move the ball from side to side and side to back pretty well.

I just hope this lacklustre performance came instead of this week in the semi. From all reports it sounds like the lads were shattered we didn't win on Sunday, so surely they will be looking to redeem themselves. Classic examples of this occuring are the games after the Wigan loss (against Liverpool) and the loss to Plop at home (LC semi leg 1) not counting the FA Cup which had a fair amount of 'reserves/youth' playing....

MON will have them fired up I'm sure/hopeful!!

I wonder how everyone would be reacting IF - milners shot is 6 cm closer to goal, IF - gabby puts in that last chance, IF - carew wasnt off side and we win 3 nil. I know none of those 3 things happend but its funny that if u get a bit of luck opposed to some ordinary luck that your thoughts on an entire game can change!