• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Sidwell (for Heskey 71)

Ref had a shocker?

I know he got the handball wrong, it was Chimbonda that handballed, not Heskey.

But the Gabby one was never a penner, and he was right to yellow Gabby in my opinion, he dived. He'd dived before he'd made contact with Samba, no where near enough momentum to carry him over either.

what the hell has momentum got to do with it. Are you really saying that the fouled player has to be running fast enough for the trip to make him fall over?

you could always link it back to that stevie g one where there was intent...

i thought gabby was getting up to speed, IMO he was certainly going fast enough to go over, there was contact, gabby made a meal of it, at worst they should cancel each other out, but the booking suggests that clattenburg saw no contact at all, which there blatantly was

Somebody, anybody, please start playing balls through the center for Gabby. We're very rarely utilizing his pace to get him behind anymore, just playing him into blind alleys out wide and/or trying to use him like Heskey, backing into his defenders.

Ya it saddens me seeing him out so wide!

gabbys problem is he runs from the middle out towards the wings whether he has the ball at his feet, is chasing it, or making a run in to space, which means that whenever he actually gets the thing under control he is stuck out wide. he needs to drift out wide a bit but then make runs at the heart of the defence so that milner can play him in into dangerous positions.

if you look at our goal tonight, gabby is running towards the corner flag when milner lays the ball to downing - thankfully milner chose to send the ball right rather than left.

gabby has his moments but he also has things to learn.

i was with you untill this bit. thats actually called making space. if he had of stayed central there wouldn't have been the gap for milner to run into

Somebody, anybody, please start playing balls through the center for Gabby. We're very rarely utilizing his pace to get him behind anymore, just playing him into blind alleys out wide and/or trying to use him like Heskey, backing into his defenders.

Ya it saddens me seeing him out so wide!

gabbys problem is he runs from the middle out towards the wings whether he has the ball at his feet, is chasing it, or making a run in to space, which means that whenever he actually gets the thing under control he is stuck out wide. he needs to drift out wide a bit but then make runs at the heart of the defence so that milner can play him in into dangerous positions.

if you look at our goal tonight, gabby is running towards the corner flag when milner lays the ball to downing - thankfully milner chose to send the ball right rather than left.

gabby has his moments but he also has things to learn.

i was with you untill this bit. thats actually called making space. if he had of stayed central there wouldn't have been the gap for milner to run into

agree, it was shit defending all round but blackburns RB could and should have read milners run he had a view of the whole play, but he was too busy watching gabby on the left to notice the run

A good solid performance, did the job at hand, I would have taken 1-0 before the game. Milner is a different class in centre mid and downing and young impressed. Dunne was impressive again at cb. Will be interesting to see how our defence lines up Sunday! One foot at Wembley, so so close! Can't wait for Wednesday now!!

after sundays game when no doubt the ticket office will be busy, you can do the scientific proven method of checking how many blocks are green, orange or red on the online ticket purchase :)

i think the upper wings might be a bit bare but its tsill game on so hopefully we will be over 40k

Excellent... this puts us in the driving seat going into the 2nd leg and it's for us to lose now. Annoyed how we reverted back to hoofball for a period in the 2nd half, but like I said earlier today, I knew Blackburn's negative tactics would work against them and we outclassed them... we also should have scored a couple more which is disappointing but the main thing is we've got the lead going into the 2nd leg and I'm quite confident now we're going to WEMBLEY (as long as we don't **** up!).

P.S. Ashley Young was great tonight... best performance for him this season. Milner was great as ever... but Heskey was shit as ever.

Fans were superb, heard constantly on telly.

Milner was MOTM by far, Richard Dunne was also superb again, he is the Premier League bargain buy of the season

Referee was a scabby cock - as if Gabby had the intelligence to cheat................definite penalty. As was the handball, that Cuntenberg deemed a handball by a Villa player

Guzan - 6 - Didn't have loads to do, couple of regulation saves, looked nervy and seemed not to have spectacular rapport with the defence. Got more confident as the game wore on but not his usual collussus.

Dunne - 7 - Towering.

Collins - 6 - Tad rusty, and thats before you get to the hair.

Cuellar - 7 - Don't like to see him out wide but did well defensively, couple of industrial challenges and some neat play nicking the ball of the toe of an attacker first half. Distribution lets him down but it's not as terrible as many would have you think.

Warnock - 6 - Fairly quiet from him but no great worries.

Petrov - 7 - Looked let off he leash more this match, some sublime passes and touches as always, unlucky not to score as well.

Milner - 8 - More or less eveything that went well involved him somewhere, full of running tracking back and wanted to make stuff happen. Class. What a finish too, to a goal he made. And he won me £50. What's not to like?

Downing - 7 - Showed his class. He's less robust than Milner but gets involved just the same attack wise. Awesome passing and vision, cracking technique, great stuff. Put in some first rate crosses.

Young - 7 - So much better than he has been, actually took on his fullback and seemed to relish it once morre, and some top crosses. Could have sealed it through on goal, seems still be just lacking that bit of spark.

Heskey - 7 - He'll never score goals. But in this lineup he works so well, his lay off and build up play is part of what makes this side click. Should have done better with the first half chance but I think his touch more than anything let him down, he almost seemed to be expecting to run onto the pass and Petrov put it just behind him. Glorious chance spurned still but so much of what we do well involves him.

Agbonlahor - 7 - Usual Gabby, should have gotten a pen, keen to run, etc etc.

Sidwell - 6- Came on, get on with it.

Clattenberg - I'm not sure he's rateable. Should be sacked on that showing, horrendous. I'll give him benefit of the doubt on the second pen, it's not the easiest to see, but the first? **** hell, he'd have needed to have shot him to make it more blatant.

Job done. We could, and should, have won by more. We could have had a cricket score, there were at least 6 gilt edge chances carved out, and that's being harsh on the definition of gilt edge. We let them come onto us, which is one of our failings, we wobble under the cosh, thankfully this new defence manages to give us more of a chance with this kind of thing but sometimes it needs the side to get their heads up, and slow it down. Still, it'll come. I'd also admit that there somewhat seems to be some idea of gameplan in this wobbling - we look to counter more readily when in the lead but we're not solid enough to manage this style long term imo.

Either way, we're the better side, and the second leg should be an interesting encounter, hopefully we'll make as many chances as tonight but take them instead.

apparently you get booked for getting tripped in the box but not for elbowing redheads in the face.

I hope this turd isn't the ref next week too?