• Collins
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Sidwell (for Heskey 71)

my observations: Im sorry but cuellar was f**king putrid tonight, turned it over every time he got the ball, blackburn look like giant cans of redbull, apparently you get booked for getting tripped in the box but not for elbowing redheads in the face. would have been nice to get a 2nd goal but will take a one goal lead!!!!

Regards,

Matty Burge

(representing villa Adelaide style)

Agree. Cuellar's distribution was awful, like having Mellberg back at right-back.

Can't understand why Young was bench, unless it was injury. His form doesn't warrant being dropped.

Cuellar is shit at right-back, it should be centre half or bench for him after tonights disply!

I'd imagine he was there to challenge Blackburn's height more effectively from a defensive point of view.

Great result, everyone played good, under a bit of pressure in the second half but that was to be expected. MOTM for me was ash looked a threat every time he got running down the wing. Still only half way though another good preformance needed next week and against west ham. Oh and the villa support was amazing great stuff lads.

my observations: Im sorry but cuellar was f**king putrid tonight, turned it over every time he got the ball, blackburn look like giant cans of redbull, apparently you get booked for getting tripped in the box but not for elbowing redheads in the face. would have been nice to get a 2nd goal but will take a one goal lead!!!!

Regards,

Matty Burge

Agree. Cuellar's distribution was awful, like having Mellberg back at right-back.

Can't understand why Young was bench, unless it was injury. His form doesn't warrant being dropped.

Cuellar is shit at right-back, it should be centre half or bench for him after tonights disply!

I'd imagine he was there to challenge Blackburn's height more effectively from a defensive point of view.

He kept giving the ball away or just hammering it aimlessly up field.

Regards,

Matty Burge

Yes but he's not there for his distribution skills is he?

Regards,

Matty Burge

Yes but he's not there for his distribution skills is he?

But whats the point of winning the ball if you're going to give it back all the time?

Luke Young would have been fine tonight.

Usual Villa performance ..sublime at times , awful at others

Be interesting to see what MON does on Sunday as for me his toughest choice this season was when Collins returned from injury and the CB partnership ..on today's evidence he bottled it and move Carlos to RB but that may have been as he felt Blackburn would lump high balls all game long .. so I'll await Sunday with anticipation

but back to the game .. Young was running at defenders again which is nice to see , still no CF in the box though so we still need to work on that ..Guzan gave me concerns for the first time in his Villa career but he's not let us down yet and is well in credit so todays shaky performance can be forgiven

ratings 6 all around but a 7 for Milner ,Young and Dunne (oh and of course 5 for Heskey :winkold:)

the rest of you are being far too generous

1st half great. some lovely movement and passing and a great goal.

2nd half we started well, heskey missed 2 great chances and then we seemed to fall apart. everytime we got it we couldnt wait to get rid of it, such a difference to the first half. MON really needs to get us playing well over 90 mins, because we let ourselves get into trouble sometimes.

guzan seemed to struggle on corners at first viewing, but then they showed the replay and he had 2 blackburn players fouling him everytime- just one of the things clattenberg messed up.

cuellar, dunne and warnock were excellent as usual. i was quite disappointed in collins though- looked way off the pace and got beaten in the air and turned too easily by kalinic. also lost his man a few times on set pieces which nearly resulted in goals. still he has been out a while so il put it down to lack of match sharpness

midfield was great first half, good in patches in the second. jimmy was the standout player and downing put in some nice balls. ash was brilliant in everything but final ball- messed up a few attacks with wrong decision, poor crosses and should have scored when gabby flicked it on for him. however, he looks back to best in terms of taking on players which is good- the goals and assists will come. petrov needs to calm us down when we start hoofing and get us passing it

heskey linked the play well but missed 2 real good chances- you have to take those. gabby didnt really provide much of a threat scoring wise, though also held it up well and was unlucky near the end when robinson made an excellent save. worked hard in the second half with all the shitty aimless hoofs to him

a good win, though it probably should have been more but for some poor finishing and refereeing. cant get complacent next week though, blackburn are gonna come out fighting and we have to match them

cant remember it coming up tonight but the attendance was 18,595, thats **** dire! what were their prices?

it was 15 quid for adults and 5 for kids, you'd of thought they'd have sold out seeing as they will have sod all else to get excited about for the ret of the season! mind you - they only just used to fill the ground when they won the league...

Ashley showed he is getting back to his best tonight, best I've seen from him in some time.

The break has done them well. Stewart is really starting to gel with Ash and Jim.

Still have no idea what Heskey brings to the team bar missing two absolute sitters.

He has some good hold up play and brings players into the game, he did that quite a few times in the first half. He has his uses and plays well! Come on!

He put Cuellar there because defensively he was scared by the ariel bombardment, which at times Blackburn did, for example when Guzan came out and missed the ball, Cuellar rose to get his head on the ball. Young isn't exactly brilliant on the ball, he's better than Cuellar gonig forward obviously but it was key to just get a clean sheet today beecause we knew we would score a goal. We always score.

We played very well tonight. Milner & Dunne were superb as ever, but I think Heskey was excellent, especially in the first half and Downing looked class throughout. But for a dodgy ref, they game would have been over after 45 minutes. They hit the post, but really the game was men against boys. I am disappointed we didnt come away with at least a three goal lead.

The second leg should be a formality, but this is Villa and this is football. We only have ourselves to blame if we dont reach the final though. We should have buried this lot tonight.

thrilled despite the very poor referring involved. was fully impressed with dunney milner and ash. ash looked to his old best and cut out the silly diving thank god. we certainly looked competitive but this game is no way near over yet.

all rovers need to do is score a goal and game on.

we have one foot at wembley but still alot of hard work. id rather rest the whole team against the spammers for next weeks game

I think that partnership between Downing and Milner was fantastic! It can only get better!

I thought Ashley did very good as well, but he missed a few passes that really woulda split the defense and put Gabby in!

Collins looked a little shaky a few times but he did pretty good overall. The rest of the back four were solid. Guzan looked a bit nervous at first but he settled well.

I think our players show so much work rate and grit that we can really beat any team these days.

And as for our striker department I think we are doing fine, we have some proper good strikers and they only need to start taking their chances more!

Great result, think we'll win in the 2nd leg by 2-0 or better.

VP is gunna be ROCKING!

UTV!

edit: Forgfot the penalty shouts and the poor decisions, but karma came about in the form of a metal post.

One thing Blackburn were particularly shit at was moving the ball out of defence - time and again they gave the ball away.

Which was nice. :D

And the constant going backwards from decent position only for Guzan to kick it out for a Bburn throw! Wrecks my head so much!

Great result, not many teams have gone there this season and won.

Excellent first half, indifferent second, although we still could have added another couple of goals.

Really can't see us losing this tie now.

Only gripe: We need to work on keeping the ball from throw ins. every time we throw it long down the line and lose possession!! So irritating.