Are our strikers that bad, really?

bannedfromHandV

Can we afford and attract the level of striker required to take us to the magical 'next level'?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Can we afford and attract the level of striker required to take us to the magical 'next level'?

• Yes
    • No

This is AVFC. The mighty AVFC. One of a handful clubs in the world who have won the European Cup. The club which started the whole league structure and founded the football league. Football today is only the way it is because of AVFC. The poll should be a rehtorical poll because of course we have the money, and of course we could attract a top class striker.

The question should really be will MON ever go out and put his reputation on the line and buy the big name player that AVFC is crying out for? Now I think MON is the best thing that has happened to us in my life time however, his biggest failing in my opinion is to get a striker in who will keep Gabby out of the team. I'm not the biggest fan of Gabby, but he has his uses. His use however, I do not believe is starting and finishing every single game. He would be an amazing super-sub. Bought on when defences are tired and rip them to shreds. He's not clinical enough to be playing every single game with the expectation of doing to Villa what Torres does to Liverpool. It will never happen, and we need a man that can. Until we get that striker we will continue to be the nearly team.

I think our strikers are ok.... each one has limitations, fortunately for different reasons.... but on their day, they are exciting, gabby at Arsenal, John Carew against Stoke( i think)

I am absolutely convinced the players we buy are Martins Choices, not Randy's and if Martin Wanted a technically gifted player, Randy would fund it for him.

Can we attract a technically gifted Player, like

Paul Merson

Benito Carbone

Luc Nilis

Dwight Yorke

Juan Pablo angel

Nobby Solano

David Ginola

Didier Six

Morley

some others I may have failed to mention

Previous Managers with far less funds, and far less charisma than Martin O'Neill have attracted players with Tech Ability( with modest funds) .... so no we have what we have by design, not the fact we can't attract them.

He may well have a plan do this next, we'll have to wait and see.

but don't blame it on money or attraction.

PS It would be interesting for the statisticians amongst us if we could tell where we were in the league when we signed some of the above magicians.

I seem to remember we were still in Birmingham too.lol

Bit unambitious but Kevin Prince Boateng of Portsmouth has looked good?

He's a central midfielder, isn't he?

Yeah on loan from Spurs, but could probably do a decent job on either flank too.

Well PompeyVillan, I see a certain amount of progress has now been made. All that's needed now is for you to make one more post on this matter. Before Risso comes and mauls him. :wink:

This is AVFC. The mighty AVFC. One of a handful clubs in the world who have won the European Cup. The club which started the whole league structure and founded the football league. Football today is only the way it is because of AVFC. The poll should be a rehtorical poll because of course we have the money, and of course we could attract a top class striker.

The question should really be will MON ever go out and put his reputation on the line and buy the big name player that AVFC is crying out for? Now I think MON is the best thing that has happened to us in my life time however, his biggest failing in my opinion is to get a striker in who will keep Gabby out of the team. I'm not the biggest fan of Gabby, but he has his uses. His use however, I do not believe is starting and finishing every single game. He would be an amazing super-sub. Bought on when defences are tired and rip them to shreds. He's not clinical enough to be playing every single game with the expectation of doing to Villa what Torres does to Liverpool. It will never happen, and we need a man that can. Until we get that striker we will continue to be the nearly team.

you make some poignant points, my biggest worry or concern with our forwards is footballing Nous

I most emphatically agree with your remarks towards attracting the talent.

not a doubt in my mind that Aston Villa football club within reason could attract top talent

some talent is slightly flawed, some talent is ageing, some have fallen out with their managers and are getable for non-exoribitant prices.

these players are also dreams on the training ground for all the kids to learn from.

go on Martin, get us a Henrik Larsson

I don't think MON signed Henrik Larsson, I might be wrong though TRO.

I also think we can attract a top striker if we stump up the money and the wages.

Pomp, he did'nt DICK ADVOCAAT did

but Martin Kinda developed his game there, just making the point of top quality and his association with it.

He definitely didn't.

Wim Jansen did, i reckon..

....you got me thinking now, you could be right.

someone will put us right soon.

He definitely didn't.

Wim Jansen did, i reckon..

you reckon correctly, my mistake

thanks for that.

but Henrik larsen did join us at one stage

I think our strikers are ok.... each one has limitations, fortunately for different reasons.... but on their day, they are exciting, gabby at Arsenal, John Carew against Stoke( i think)

I am absolutely convinced the players we buy are Martins Choices, not Randy's and if Martin Wanted a technically gifted player, Randy would fund it for him.

Can we attract a technically gifted Player, like

Paul Merson

Benito Carbone

Luc Nilis

Dwight Yorke

Juan Pablo angel

Nobby Solano

David Ginola

Didier Six

Morley

some others I may have failed to mention

Previous Managers with far less funds, and far less charisma than Martin O'Neill have attracted players with Tech Ability( with modest funds) .... so no we have what we have by design, not the fact we can't attract them.

He may well have a plan do this next, we'll have to wait and see.

Of course he does.

Also, one of the most creative midfielders playing under MON I can think of is Juninho at Celtic and MON totally froze him out. Then I would say Berger and he was injured but he didn't get much time on the field even when fit before Barrygate. We haven't had someone who could deliver through balls or create something as well as him since he left.

MON just doesn't do great creative midfielders at Celtic, at Leicester and probably won't with us. He has his blueprint and it's written in stone IMHO.

I've just read this thread - or bits of it - and I'm puzzled that the poll question bears little relation to the thread title.

The answer to the question: "Are our strikers that bad, really?" could be, "No, they're not that bad." I would argue that is the right answer. But the poll assumes they must be replaced. We struggled to score early on in the season but since November we have scored 22 goals in 12 games. Not all have come from our forwards but that doesn't matter as long as we are scoring regularly and winning games. The team seems to be functioning quite well and I doubt whether we will be able to find a top striker in January who would justify the disruption.

Are argued strongly that we should sign Bent when Sunderland was interested. He was Spurs top scorer last season while only spending 2/3rds the time on the pitch that Gabby did. Now he has as many league goals as Gabby has ever scored in a full season with almost half the season to go. Tuncay would also given us other options up front. Why MON didn't/doesn't see this I can't understand. He's always gone with Big man/Fast man up front and he's far too loyal to Gabby among others to the detriment of our chances.

The thread is already going round in circles, what with people suggesting we sign central midfielders from Pompey and play them up front and move for the likes of Robbie Keane, who's best days are clearly behind him.

It has been said on VT many times that we need a striker. We have five on the books, Gabby, who stretches sides and plays well in big games, but cant be asked to do everything, Carew who seems to have three modes, i) out of this world, ii) doesnt look interested or iii) injured. The latter two seem to be how he spends most of the season though. We have Heskey who does work hard for the team and brings people into play around him is never going to score very many goals and he turns 32 in a few days. We have the Fonz who still needs a couple of years, and we have Harewood who is shit. And out of contract in six months.

So of our five strikers we have three thirtysomethings and a kid. All of the clubs fighting for a top four place have more prolific strikers than we do. Its not whinging and whining to suggest that we might need to get a new striker in, is it?

would be nice to see the fonz get a bit more action, TBH.

would also be nice to see Carew put a bit more in.

would also be nice for us to sign a striker in the window.

I just don't think it will happen.

If needs be, we can always play asher further forwards behind the front man. I'm surprised we haven't tried that more. Sort of in the Tuncay role.

I don't think our strikers are too bad at all, but i do think we need to take some of the burden off gabby ....

Â