PL: Wigan a Match Thread 2009/03/16 19:45

limpid

Because we won at Anfield with Blues with it, it is all conquering

No. Because, for me, with the players we have at our disposal it is our best formation. I don't think we have a second striker that is worthy of a starting spot if everyone is fit. Even if we did, however, I think 4-5-1/4-3-3 is the best formation against certain teams like Arsenal and Liverpool - good sides who play three in the CM - otherwise your CM can get swamped as it did in the loss at Emirates over x-mas.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,

The snow's still lying, side roads not cleared so unless Mr. Whelan has sorted something to get the private ground around the stadium cleared we could still have problems.

If it wasn't the other side of town I'd go and have a look, if I get the chance I'll nip over tomorrow

I really hope this one isn't called off. If it does get postponed then we could start to get even more fixture congestion than we already have....

Anyway, if it goes ahead then I think we will get a hard fought win. I'm going for a close one, ending 2-1 to us. UTV!

From the Wigan Athletic Official Website:

Wigan Athletic have received numerous calls from supporters asking if the game with Aston Villa is on.

As of today (Wednesday 6th January), the Club fully expect the game with Aston Villa on Saturday 9th January to go ahead as scheduled.

Taking short and long term forecasts into consideration, the Club are doing everything in their power to ensure that the Stadium and immediate surroundings are accessible, and are confident that the Stadium will be ready in time for the Saturday.

If conditions were to deteriorate and the weather were to threaten the fixture, details will be posted on this website immediately and an email will be sent to everyone on the Wigan Athletic database.

Fingers crossed

Well,

The snow's still lying, side roads not cleared so unless Mr. Whelan has sorted something to get the private ground around the stadium cleared we could still have problems.

If it wasn't the other side of town I'd go and have a look, if I get the chance I'll nip over tomorrow

Take a shovel and help out ;)

Well,

Take a shovel and help out ;)

Sod off, it took an hour and a half to dig the car out of the drive yesterday

Wigan are a terrible side, people will point out their win against us and Chelsea, but thats 2 good results amongst loads of bad ones. They've been thrashed by pompey FFS, lost to Hull and Wolves, beaten by Man U 5-0 twice and then theres the spurs debacle.

I'd be disappointed with anything less then a comfy win.

They are a good championhip side at the minute , no better. Take out a couple of players who I can't spell and they aren't even that. They are going down I think, no excuses we had an extra rest than expected, we should go there and win.

Be great if this goes ahead and we win because I cant see all the fixtures going ahead this weekend so nice to be in a position where we have the points on the board.

Sounds positive from the links from their website so happy days

This game always seems to favour the away team. I'm pretty sure we've never beat Wigan at home, and they have never beat us at the DW either.

They beat us at the JJB (as it was then) the first season they were up. We've not lost there since though.

Really hope it goes ahead. Looking forward to it.

Weather could act as a bit of a leveler especially as they will be in front of their home support, however we should win this as they really are not a good team.

The motivation should be there to make up for the opening day of the season!

The motivation should be there to make up for the opening day of the season!

Hope so, the opening day was atrocious - we must atone for this. Im expecting nothing more than a very tough encounter - I dont think looking at their past results will mean much to how this game will go...or in fact any game. We were awful against Wolves, and got beat by teams such as West Ham and Blackburn away so we have no right to expect a win here. Despite Wigan having some shaky results they have also beaten Chelsea so can raise it on their day. We need to get back to winning ways in the league - hopefully our win in the cup last week will spur us on for a performance tomorrow.

The difference being this year is that every team can beat anyone - and this has shown - henc ewhy its so close at the top, middle and bottom of the league - It says something about this season when im now expecting Blues to take something from Man Utd tomorrow.

I expect to see the same side that faced Liverpool start tomorrow.