Carling Cup SF 1st Leg - Friedel or Guzan to start?

Villarocker

Friedel or Guzan to start in 1st Leg on Tuesday?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Friedel or Guzan to start in 1st Leg on Tuesday?

• Friedel
    • Guzan

I'm sure most of you know this, but for the one or two who don't...

In some European countries, even in the Premier League, managers have a verbal (or who knows, maybe even a written) agreement with their Number Two goalkeeper to play him in national cup competitions such as in England the FA Cup and the Carling Cup.

This is not normally the case when the Number Two keeper is some 19-year-old graduate of the Academy, but it is fairly common when the club has a really first-rate Number Two. It's a good system because without it when is the Number Two ever going to get match practice? He'll end up discontented ans soon want to move onwards and downwards if it means more opportunities.

I'm pretty sure this kind of agreement only applies to goalkeepers, not outfield players.

A number of posters to this thread have pointed out the thread is a waste of time because it is absolutely nailed-on that as long as we are the League Cup Guzan will play unless injured. And they are right.

You can say till you're blue in the face that as a Villa fan you want the best and the best is Friedel but it isn't going to change anything. It's obvious that Guzan is our Carling Cup keeper. Who knows, he may even be our FA Cup keeper as well.

And is Friedel the best in a competition in which ties can ultimately be settled by a penalty shootout?

I realise there have been precedents of managers suddenly going back on their word and bringing back Number One because oh joy, their club has reached the final; but these cases are relatively few and far between. Don't worry lads, Brad Friedel will continue to be our Number One in the League, but we're in safe hands with Guzan between the sticks in the Carling Cup.