Carling Cup SF 1st Leg - Friedel or Guzan to start?

Villarocker

Friedel or Guzan to start in 1st Leg on Tuesday?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Friedel or Guzan to start in 1st Leg on Tuesday?

• Friedel
    • Guzan

Yeah, no question Guzan should start every cup game for the rest of the season for experience sake. He is also more than capable of dealing with the pressure in Semi-Finals and, dare I say it, Finals and will stand him in good stead for us in the future.

Freidel will always start the league games until he either gets injured or retires IMO, if only to keep his incredible run of consecutive league games going. O'Neill will not drop Freidel because of form because you just will not see a run of poor form from him, he is just too consistent. Once Freidel does miss a game, bit it through injury or suspension - that's whe Guzan's moment will come and it'll be up to him to take it.

thread is retarded

you dont play a keeper in a competition for 2 years then shit yourself and drop him when you get to a semi final

guzan will be the keeper in the semis, and he'll be the keeper in the final should we get there. same with the fa cup

Guzan is the better keeper.

Don't agree with that, big fan of Friedel. Think this is another case of the man not being in the team being better - absence makes the heart grow fonder etc. Guzan has conceded some soft goals, not least yesterday.

However, he looks like he's going to be a very good goalkeeper - and our next first choice - so I would start him as he's played in the previous rounds and he deserves it for the Sunderland performance if nothing else! Same in the final, although I imagine if I was Friedel I'd be unhappy to miss out on probably my last chance to play in a cup final. But then Friedel has maybe one more season here, Guzan could have ten, so who is more important to keep happy?

Put simply if we get to the final, whichever of them plays, the other will be gutted. And if whoever plays makes a big mistake, we'll all say MON should have picked the other one ;)

It's both the best and worst sort of decision to have to make for a manager. Think MON will stick with Guzan though, as I would.

There is no need to change the system as both Brad is happy to accept this for now. Brad Guzan need games to keep his skills sharp so he will be ready is something happens to Brad Friedel ie an injury or suspension.

Guzan should be our cup goalkeeper. Friedel will accept this as he need to prolong his career as long possible to make sure he doesn't get injuries and get plenty of recovery time. If he can extend his career a season or two by doing that, he will be prepared to do this.

No one need to play every league and cup games these days.

Big Brad for me, nothing against Medium Sized Brad but we are not Arsenal just yet, the important fixtures still need our full attention.

No problems with Guzan if he does play, he is showing promise of a consistent performer at the very least.

That's a very confusing post. Surely Friedel is the 'medium sized' out of the pair of them, as he is a mere 6'2", whereas Guzan is 6'4".

Big Brad for me, nothing against Medium Sized Brad but we are not Arsenal just yet, the important fixtures still need our full attention.

No problems with Guzan if he does play, he is showing promise of a consistent performer at the very least.

That's a very confusing post. Surely Friedel is the 'medium sized' out of the pair of them, as he is a mere 6'2", whereas Guzan is 6'4".

either way, theyre both short arses :P

Guzan is the better keeper.

Don't agree with that, big fan of Friedel. Think this is another case of the man not being in the team being better - absence makes the heart grow fonder etc. Guzan has conceded some soft goals, not least yesterday. However, he looks like he's going to be a very good goalkeeper - and our next first choice - so I would start him as he's played in the previous rounds and he deserves it for the Sunderland performance if nothing else! Same in the final, although I imagine if I was Friedel I'd be unhappy to miss out on probably my last chance to play in a cup final. But then Friedel has maybe one more season here, Guzan could have ten, so who is more important to keep happy?

Put simply if we get to the final, whichever of them plays, the other will be gutted. And if whoever plays makes a big mistake, we'll all say MON should have picked the other one ;)

It's both the best and worst sort of decision to have to make for a manager. Think MON will stick with Guzan though, as I would.

Yesterday he let a soft one in but I'd love to know about these other ones that you mention.

either way, theyre both short arses :P

I was suprised that Guzan is actually taller, i think Friedel has a bigger frame.