LC: SF Blackburn a Match Thread 2010/01/14 20:00

limpid

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To combat how Blackburn play, especially at home, I'd actually drop Young for Collins and play

-------------------------GUZAN-------------------------

--CUELLAR-----COLLINS-----DUNNE-----WARNOCK-

-----------------PETROV------MILNER-----------------

----DOWNING---------------------------------YOUNG--

---------------------HESKEY---GABBY------------------

I'd agree Downing on the bench, but when I originally put Reo-Coker in the centre and Milner right, I realised there'd be zero ability to pass the ball in the centre as there was against Liverpool.

I think he'll play Friedel rather than Guzan on tues with Guzan in the second leg. Just to allow Friedel the adulation of his former fans. I don't think he should, but think he will.

Away goals only count after extra time, bloody ridiculous rule, hence why Burnley didn't get to the final last year.

Works both ways though, yes they have 120 mins to get an away goal but we only get 90. But we also have 30 mins extra at home in which to score should we be heading out on away goals.

Better to lose 4-3 then 1-0 so no 4 5 1 please

Away goals only count after extra time, bloody ridiculous rule, hence why Burnley didn't get to the final last year.

If that was the case in the UEFA Cup (or whatever its called) we might well still be in it...

Don't get this. We have played it 3 times this year and beat Plop away 3-1, Fulham and Blues away and this is without DJ allowing Jimmy to be one of the midfield three. As in the Blues game we always have the option of an impact sub, particularly with JC on the bench.

We have been to Blackburn in a 4-4-2, admittedly without Jimmy in the middle, and been very poor and got done by Dunne. NRC in there would neutralise him.

I don't see the 4-5-1 as being negative, particularly if you play two attacking midfielders in Jimmy and Delph? This allows Ash and DJ to play closer to Gab, our full backs to push further forward and masses of interchanging with Ash, DJ, Millie and Delph all slightly freed up with NRC behind them.

Works both ways though, yes they have 120 mins to get an away goal but we only get 90. But we also have 30 mins extra at home in which to score should we be heading out on away goals.

----------------------------------------------------

We've scored 8 in 7 away from home starting in a 4-4-2. I can see where you got that 4-4-2 will score more goals from.

Only time we've scored 3 away from home this season, oh 4-5-1 :winkold:

Having been at the game it was obvious to me Blackburn have made a clear decision that the League Cup semi final is the one they have targeted, without any doubt i think we will see a completely different side and mentality on Tues. This is still not a done deal and if we are over confident or complacent after Sat we will pay the price.

We've scored 8 in 7 away from home starting in a 4-4-2. I can see where you got that 4-4-2 will score more goals from.

Generally playing 2 up front is considered more attacking, 451 is suited to stifling and counter attacks. Those facts you pick out don't include our home thrashings of teams or enough recent games involving Downing. ie they're exceptions to the rule

Having been at the game it was obvious to me Blackburn have made a clear decision that the League Cup semi final is the one they have targeted, without any doubt i think we will see a completely different side and mentality on Tues. This is still not a done deal and if we are over confident or complacent after Sat we will pay the price.

Surely this applies to us as well though as we had a changed side out, its clear that the semi is more important to both clubs, we had a stronger squad to change it around though.

I think we should go with the mindset of not losing the game, and of course Stan will return, so I would play-

................Guzan

Young....Cuellar....Dunne...Warnock

..........NRC.............Petrov

.................Delph

Milner.......Gabby.......Young

Delph looked quality at the weekend, and NRC controlled the game, so they would both be in my side as they are proven against David Dunn who at Ewood outplayed Stan and Sidwell. This would give the wingers a good basis to attack. We have gone to Blackburn with a 442 this season and have been outpassed and outbattled against their ten men, so I just have a feeling it would be a bit naive to play what MON seems to think is our best 11 and look at the opposition first. The onus is on them in the first leg- so stop them and hit them on the break. Downing and Carew are there if something different needs to be tried.

Generally playing 2 up front is considered more attacking, 451 is suited to stifling and counter attacks. Those facts you pick out don't include our home thrashings of teams or enough recent games involving Downing. ie they're exceptions to the rule

Is it though, with our players, 4-5-1 is just as much a 4-3-3, especially if you play players like Coker, Delph, Milner, Downing, Young as a midfield. 4-5-1 is basically 4-3-3 on the attack, which is more attacking than 4-4-2 ;)