• Downing
    • A Young
    • Delph
    • Reo-Coker
    • Delfouneso
    • Heskey
    • Sidwell (for Delph 46)
    • Carew (for Delfouneso 74)

Blackburn's 'goal' should never have stood, looked a blatant push from where I was sat. We should have been out of sight really and it was a nervy half hour or so between their goal and our third during which time we lacked forward momentum, even against 10 men. The defence always looked solid enough although Beye had a couple of shakey moments (he looks so casual at times it's scary!). The Cuellar & Collins partnership could really hold water in the future.

Delph really does look a great prospect, every time he got the ball it was head up and looking for a forward pass and picking the pass out on most occasions, made a couple of tackles too, his time will come and will be the natural replacement for Petrov in due course. NRC was good as usual when breaking down their play but his distribution does (and always will) let him down unfortunatly. Young was at his best today, quality deliveries like today had their defence all over the place and looked like the player who caused teams so many problems just over a year ago. Downing probably had his quietest day in a Villa shirt today, I guess everyone is allowed one from time to time.

Up front, Heskey worked hard and showed no signs of his recent injury and brought others into play well, some heavy touches brought groans from the crowd but I'm sure he has heard those same groans for most of his career. The Fonz deserved his goal in the first half but woould agree with the poster above that the knock he took trying to win the ball back took a bit out of him and was replaced with Carew who dispached his penalty with confidence and apparent ease.

All in all a good game for Villa and confidence builder before Tuesday. Puts the Liverpool defeat behind us and we look to move on. I would add though that whilst this convincing win puts us into the fourth round I'm not sure if any of the fringe players staked a realistic claim to break into the regular starting eleven. I would guess that Delph will see a few games between now and the end of the season, Guzan is a more than capable deputy but the rest, whilst providing good cover do not particulary add anything new to the side.

Blackburn's 'goal' should never have stood, looked a blatant push from where I was sat. We should have been out of sight really and it was a nervy half hour or so between their goal and our third during which time we lacked forward momentum, even against 10 men. The defence always looked solid enough although Beye had a couple of shakey moments (he looks so casual at times it's scary!). The Cuellar & Collins partnership could really hold water in the future.

Delph really does look a great prospect, every time he got the ball it was head up and looking for a forward pass and picking the pass out on most occasions, made a couple of tackles too, his time will come and will be the natural replacement for Petrov in due course. NRC was good as usual when breaking down their play but his distribution does (and always will) let him down unfortunatly. Young was at his best today, quality deliveries like today had their defence all over the place and looked like the player who caused teams so many problems just over a year ago. Downing probably had his quietest day in a Villa shirt today, I guess everyone is allowed one from time to time.

Up front, Heskey worked hard and showed no signs of his recent injury and brought others into play well, some heavy touches brought groans from the crowd but I'm sure he has heard those same groans for most of his career. The Fonz deserved his goal in the first half but woould agree with the poster above that the knock he took trying to win the ball back took a bit out of him and was replaced with Carew who dispached his penalty with confidence and apparent ease.

All in all a good game for Villa and confidence builder before Tuesday. Puts the Liverpool defeat behind us and we look to move on. I would add though that whilst this convincing win puts us into the fourth round I'm not sure if any of the fringe players staked a realistic claim to break into the regular starting eleven. I would guess that Delph will see a few games between now and the end of the season, Guzan is a more than capable deputy but the rest, whilst providing good cover do not particulary add anything new to the side.

When you say the "rest", surely you don't mean Collins? I think he is outstanding. Also think NRC can add something different to the side.

1st half we played well in spells, but the sending off spoiled the game as Blackburn went on the defensive second-half and we are poor at breaking down teams that sit back, making for a shitty half of football. Reo and Delph looked good in the centre and Delfouneso showed promise, hopefully these two will play a big part in our future

Guest Ricardomeister

I was almost in line with the goal and their goal was totally down to Guzan dropping the corner....definitely no foul...and the linesman was flagging to confirm the ball had crossed the line, not for a foul. After saving the pen I think we can forgive Brad for his error.

Also, although I cannot stand Diouf, I had a perfect view of his foul on Beye and Webb got it totally wrong imo issuing a straight red...it was a stupid, unnecessary tackle but should have just been a yellow.

All in all a satisfactory performance though it would have been nice if we hadn't taken our foot off the pedal in the second half. If Delph cuts out the rash tackles then he has the makings of a top player. Good to see the Fonz score although he drifted out of the game for long spells. Now for the important one on Tuesday night and hoping we perform at the top of our game, which should be enough to see us to Wembley.

UTV SOTC

When you say the "rest", surely you don't mean Collins? I think he is outstanding. Also think NRC can add something different to the side.

I would agree that at the moment our defence would be safe with any 2 of the Cuellar/Dunne/Collins combinations. For me though, NRC's passing is not good enough for the level we want to be at, he may be able to come into the side and do a specific job on occasion but can't see what it adds to the side over what Petrov & Milner bring.

Big Johns penalty

You can see how the GK was expecting a shot in the middle of the goals like his previous ones.

Suprised about that, you don't expect a sub keeper to research our penalty taking sub and where he puts them, he's only taken 2 this season. Hardly a massive trend

There were a few hundred or so Blackburn fans. 25k attendance overall which is pretty poor, but expected. Bloke in the lower north made me chuckle, after Blackburn scored he shouted 'Ohhh, shut up you two!' and previously 'John, what you having for dinner?'. It was a quiet atmosphere.

As for the game itself, it was a very professional performance and the entire team deserve a great deal of credit. A good performance all around.

Delph stuck out for me, he was immense in the first half and in the second half it was obvious how much we missed his creativity. He was raking some fantastic cross field passes, get stuck in well. A significant highlight of his was when he harried David Dunn, caught him in possession and then slipped Young in beautifully for a one-on-one.

Ashley Young was class and worked very hard. Regardless of how some interpret his demeanor (there are many that say "it's gone to his head!") there was certainly no 'billy big bollucks' in the way he played today.

Great to see Delfouneso score, he looks a bit of a goalscorer to me. Let's hope he can develop the rest of his game as significantly as Gabby has done. Great talent.

Sidwell for all of his endeavor doesn't have the ability to be first choice in a 4-4-2 for us.

For me though, NRC's passing is not good enough for the level we want to be at, he may be able to come into the side and do a specific job on occasion but can't see what it adds to the side over what Petrov & Milner bring.

- NRC can last 90 mins in a 4-4-2. Petrov doesn't

- He's a good captain. Petrov just yells at players for not covering him when he's tired.

Delph stuck out for me, he was immense in the first half and in the second half it was obvious how much we missed his creativity. He was raking some fantastic cross field passes, get stuck in well. A significant highlight of his was when he harried David Dunn, caught him in possession and then slipped Young in beautifully for a one-on-one.

I read in another article that NRC did what you describe. So was it NRC or Delph?

I read in another article that NRC did what you describe. So was it NRC or Delph?

Pretty sure it was Delph at the time, but you have me questioning that now. Anyone else like to confirm?

If it was NRC I could understand the votes a bit more, as I thought he was good but not really the man of the match.

Pretty sure it was Delph at the time, but you have me questioning that now. Anyone else like to confirm?

If it was NRC I could understand the votes a bit more, as I thought he was good but not really the man of the match.

It was NRC. They do look pritty similar though lol. It also says it was on the bbc or soccernet report- can't remember which

Anyone know roughly how many fans Blackburn took to Villa? Was it another mini bus job?!

Very small away attendance, I reckon about 150-200

I thought NRC was superb today...and delph looked very good, if a little careless with his tackles.

Surprised people are saying A Young was brilliant...at times he worked hard and put in some great crosses, however there were times when he could've put the ball in first time (and the strikers were making runs accordingly) however, he didn't and had to take a man on at least once (often more) when the cross was eventually made the strikers were moving away from the goal rather than running towards it. Although there is no doubt about his ability, I think he does need to look at his decision making. Still think he is not on the form he was a couple of years ago.

Surprised that Albrighton didnt come on at some point. He did do a lot of warming up and probably would've come on if B'burn hadn't scored.

Overall a decent performance, first half we were very good but second as we have throughout the season we have taken our foot off the gas..

we been on itv yet?

Not yet. ITV in their widom decided to put the Reading V Liverpool game on first, the game that they showed Live about 4 hours previous. HONESTLY!!!

you sure we aint been on? cause burnley vs mk dons is next lol.

Anyone know roughly how many fans Blackburn took to Villa? Was it another mini bus job?!

Very small away attendance, I reckon about 150-200

Well thats a load of bollocks, there was just under 1000 I'd say.