• Downing
    • A Young
    • Delph
    • Reo-Coker
    • Delfouneso
    • Heskey
    • Sidwell (for Delph 46)
    • Carew (for Delfouneso 74)

we played great first half, Fonz could have scored within 3mins from a corner but it looked like he closed his eyed when heading the ball but then took his goal brilliantly. Young and Heskey had one-on-ones which they should have converted. Could have been 4-0 at HT.

Delphs passing was a pleasure who watch. Picking out 30yard passes for fun.

Second half we looked fine until they scored and then gave them 25mins of play. Sidwell didnt offer us anything going forward, he seemed to be wanting to play a strikers role. Fonz coming off and Carew on mixed things up and helped us gain the third goal and a well deserved win.

Negatives: Fonz's first touch, missing two one-on-ones and Sidwells Performance.

Positives: 3 goals, Ashley Youngs performance and crosssing, Heskeys work rate and ball retention, delphs passing, Guzans save and balti pies

UTV :D

Thought it was a good performance against a Blackburn who weren't up to much, and hopefully the performances of some of the 2nd string will have given MON food for thought, because really they should do.

Guzan 7-haven't seen the blackburn goal again but a good penalty save.

Beye 7

Collins 7

Cuellar 7.5 (for goal!)

Warnock 7

Young 7.5*-impressed with his willingness to go at the full back today, and his delivery brought about 2 goals

Reo Coker 7.5 saw a lot of the ball and I think we are better for it when his driving presence is in the side.

Delph 7.5 Everytime I have seen him he has looked class with the ball at his feet, today was no exception. Unfortunately injured at HT.

Downing 6- so so, could have done with a rest.

Fonz 7- pleased he scored and did enough to warrant another run out soon

Heskey 6.5- did the 'Heskey' things well, without much more.

Sidwell 6- ok but he was a little frustrating

Carew- MON probably did the right thing bringing the Fonz off as he did fade a little 2nd half. Carew finished it with a casual penalty

Anyone who was there have an opinion on whether Guzan was fouled on their goal?

It looked a foul from where I was sitting.

the lino flagged for a foul, but the ref appeared to overule him, as the lino quickly put it down and trundled off toward the half way line.

Nice win, job done really.

Why was Delph subbed early?

talking to Tom Ross on BRMB, Martin O'Neill said Delph was tiring, but said he was pleased with him as he was unwell, but wanted to play.

sounds like he was carrying a bit of lurgy to me.

Just got back, excellent first half but we should have been out of sight. Lost our way in second half but Blacburn rarely threatened and just stuck their 10 men behind the ball.

Cuellar looks immense these days doesn't he - really nice header for the goal too. Young was MOTM for me though despite the miss.

Cuellar looks immense these days doesn't he - really nice header for the goal too. Young was MOTM for me though despite the miss.

Yep and gets to the front post really well to direct those flick headers which is a difficult skill to do.

You know what I really enjoyed todays game, Delph and Fonz were great! As for Ashley welcome back son even though you should have buried that 1 on 1! All his deliveries were bang on the money and it could gave easily been 4 before half time! Delph was brilliant, always demanded the ball! 2nd half was rubbish, but NRC carried the team forward! Guzan equals Bosnich at penalties, so your allowed to push keepers over the line in football?

Watched the game on BBC text and seemed really dull. Hope we can improve for Tuesday. :P

Are you serious? I imagine any game watched through BBC text would be 'really dull'..

wow

just... wow

:lol:

Just what I thought.

Glad to hear NRC had another good game. Was he Captain also?

v. good first half, terrible second half should have been a lot easier

substitutions confused me, delph and delfonso are unlikely to play on tuesday so i dont understand why they were brought off unless they were injured

delph was playing really well as well, along NRC

downing should have been rested he looks like he is blowing

substitutions confused me, delph and delfonso are unlikely to play on tuesday so i dont understand why they were brought off unless they were injured

Yeah they both played well today. Delph came off as he was ill, I think Delfonso had a bit of a knock in the 1st half and started to tire in the 2nd.

Delph has been ill the last couple of days but wanted to play today. Delf got a knock in the first half so struggled after that, Mon gave him as much time as possible.

I though Albrighton should of played instead of Downing, he's played every game since he came back from injury, a rest would of done him good.

Guzan 7 - He was at fault for their goal, his enthusiasm got the better of him and he was coming for the cross before it was in the air, he was coming back towards his line to catch it by the time it came in and then lost it trying to keep his balance under pressure from the Blackburn player, I think it was a foul, but foul or not the best Premiership keepers don't concede that goal. His performance was redeemed by yet another penalty save.

Warnock 6 - Solid, I thought he might have got more involved going forward, but was often used as a decoy runner by Young and Downing.

Cuellar 7 - Untroubled and a good goal.

Collins 7 - I thought he dealt with Klasinic who is a big awkward customer very very well. (and obviously by awkward customer I mean dirty bastard.)

Beye 6 - At times he had so much of the ball that I almost felt sorry for him. He was decent at the back and supported our attacks well, but I doubt he'd want responsibility for being our creative force and at times in the second half it looked like we wanted that from him.

Young 7 - Two first half assists and with better finishing it could have been four, he showed that he's not quite on the top of his confidence with his one-on-one with the keeper, but he put in some great balls today and was always available.

Delph 7 - Best player on the pitch in the first half, he brought some much needed mobility to our midfield and some of the movement that he was involved in with Young, Heskey and Delfouneso was a joy to watch. Congratulations to him on finally leaving the field as a Villa player without a yellow card against his name, I'm guessing he was planning on picking one up in the second half.

Reo Coker 7 - Captains performance in the holding role, he managed the side very well and did the protection job more than adequately. In the second half, it was Reo Coker who tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck when Blackburn threatened.

Downing 6 - He didn't do anything wrong, but he didn't really find an impact moment. Solid enough I think.

Delfouneso 7 - I thought he looked a threat from the start, the ankle injury knocked him back a bit but I thought he made good runs, worked hard off the ball and showed good smarts in his linking with Heskey. Nice to see him score again.

Heskey 7 - In the first half there were glimpses of a Heskey not seen since his days at Leicester, the rampaging beast threatened to make an appearance. He ran out of steam in the second half, but he's given Blackburn plenty to think about.

subs

Sidwell 5 - Showed that he should surely now be considered as behind Delph in the central midfield pecking order, if rumours of a sale of Craig Gardner are true, perhaps this was a performance to inspire second thoughts. I'm afraid I've given up on Sidwell.

Carew 6 - He came, he saw, he conquered. Good cameo from the big man today, he looked in the mood and got his reward. I think we might see him off the bench a bit more in the coming weeks, but there will be work for him in the rest of the season.

Referee

Howard Webb - Had a bit of funny old time of it did Howard, I've not seen a replay, but I think most of Villa Park were surprised to see him award Blackburn's penalty while we were still laughing at the dive. I expected yellow for Diouf (although I laughed heartily at him chuntering away to himself all the way down the Trinity Road stand.) Webb missed a penalty for handball and a number of fouls then gave us one at the end. I'm feeling charitable so I think we can blame the cold.

As for Blackburn, well it's first blood to us, Diouf will hopefully be banned for the first leg of the semi final and we've given them plenty to think about. There was a touch of needle developing which leads me to thinking that there will be controversy in the games ahead, but I see nothing for us to be afraid of.

I thought Downing had a quiet game.

Ash should have buried that one on one, at this level, there is no excuse for missing one on ones, he could have put it anywhere. Saying that, after the miss he played very well, very direct - as he was doing last season.

Heskey was ok, toward the end he made a few sloppy passes as lost possession, but on the whole he had a good game.

The fonz's goal was very well taken, but he didnt do much with the ball afterwards, lost possession a couple of times but he always worked very hard. Made some good runs which weren't picked up.

Guzan was very good, I said to my brother he'd save it - and he did. Didnt see their goal but it looked a bit strange.

Nigel was good, he's got such a tight turning circle and found space everytime he got the ball, bery good game.

Collins was very good in the air again, and made a very good tackle around 70 mins to stop them going through for a one on one.

Beye gets out of position too much for my liking. He's a decent passer but not much else I dont think.

delph looked good when he was on. But i dont think he looked good against arsenal - so maybe hes a bit inconsistant, i dunno, but today he was very good.