The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Oh boy, that was a devastating knockout by Martinez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNou7HlKBw

Ouch!

I'm still curious as to why he threw a lead left hook with his right hand by his waist.... :)

I suspect he regrets it now though.

Because he has been using that goatee for a defence all his career. If it wasn't for that solid chin of his (although according to certain chin checkers he has a glass jaw now) it would have happened earlier.

I feel sorry for any Williams fans that went to it, although there aren't many, the undercard was atrocious and they got to see their man iced in 2. :lol:

Ouch!

I'm still curious as to why he threw a lead left hook with his right hand by his waist.... :)

Because he has been using that goatee for a defence all his career. If it wasn't for that solid chin of his (although according to certain chin checkers he has a glass jaw now) it would have happened earlier.

I feel sorry for any Williams fans that went to it, although there aren't many, the undercard was atrocious and they got to see their man iced in 2. :lol:

You're going to think I'm a berk but I only ever saw Williams once before, I've not followed him that closely. I watched him beat Margarito (I think) and comparisons to Hearns were made which just turned me off him as he out-jabbed Margo for 8 rounds then suddenly gassed and got beat up for the last part of the fight and scraped a decision. Correct me if I'm wrong here because I was pretty pissed when I watched the fight but remember thinking "Tommy Hearns he **** ain't" at the end of it and I've not paid much attention since.

I did notice that it seems that Martinez is also a southpaw and maybe that's why Williams thought it was OK to lead like that....dunno just seemed a strange shot to throw while leaving your chin hanging like that, reminded me of Lewis V McCall in a lot of ways.

Ouch!

You're going to think I'm a berk but I only ever saw Williams once before, I've not followed him that closely. I watched him beat Margarito (I think) and comparisons to Hearns were made which just turned me off him as he out-jabbed Margo for 8 rounds then suddenly gassed and got beat up for the last part of the fight and scraped a decision. Correct me if I'm wrong here because I was pretty pissed when I watched the fight but remember thinking "Tommy Hearns he **** ain't" at the end of it and I've not paid much attention since.

I did notice that it seems that Martinez is also a southpaw and maybe that's why Williams thought it was OK to lead like that....dunno just seemed a strange shot to throw while leaving your chin hanging like that, reminded me of Lewis V McCall in a lot of ways.

You're a berk. :winkold:

Williams is an exciting fighter in how he loves to go to war but he is certainly no Tommy Hearns. He did the same in the first fight and was on the end of some big hooks, just none as big as that shot last night. He desperately needs to change trainer after last night. He needs someone who is going to get him using all of his physical advantages, maybe Manny Steward? I'm sure Manny would be up for that after he was claiming that Paul was controlling the fight and was doing everything right last night. :lol:

Cracking night of fights tomorrow.

I wonder how many people are even aware there is a Briton fighting for a world title tomorrow, or are even aware of who Carl Froch is? Mick Henessey really is a shit promoter.

Looking forward to it actually, is it on telly?

Slightly worried here though, Froch just keeps having war after war and eventually it's going to catch up with him and that chin will finally shatter, no-one can take what he takes and have longevity. The Abraham fight is make or break time I reckon. Neither guy is big on technique and defence that's for sure but Abraham hits like a truck. I'm picking a mid rounds stoppage for Abraham, it pains me to do it though. TKO5 would be my guess.

On a different note, I'm just reading the ESB thread about Hagler V Calzaghe....**** hell :shock:

I wonder how many people are even aware there is a Briton fighting for a world title tomorrow, or are even aware of who Carl Froch is? Mick Henessey really is a shit promoter.

Slightly worried here though, Froch just keeps having war after war and eventually it's going to catch up with him and that chin will finally shatter, no-one can take what he takes and have longevity. The Abraham fight is make or break time I reckon. Neither guy is big on technique and defence that's for sure but Abraham hits like a truck. I'm picking a mid rounds stoppage for Abraham, it pains me to do it though. TKO5 would be my guess.

On a different note, I'm just reading the ESB thread about Hagler V Calzaghe....**** hell :shock:

Primetime £15 with Ward-Bika thrown in after. I can't say I'm excited about that one.

The two most obvious outcomes are AA T/KO or Froch on points. I'm leaning towards AA stoppage at the moment, although I've been changing my mind constantly. I'm not convinced Froch can fight to a game plan for 12 rounds without getting sucked into a war with AA. Also, even if he does stick to the plan, I don't think trying to emulate what Dirrell did is going to work for Carl. His footwork isn't good enough. So I can see AA cornering him in the later rounds and landing a big shot through Froch's leaky defence.

I'm not convinced Hagler could make 168 these days tbh. I'll still go with him though. :winkold:

Primetime £15 with Ward-Bika thrown in after. I can't say I'm excited about that one.

The two most obvious outcomes are AA T/KO or Froch on points. I'm leaning towards AA stoppage at the moment, although I've been changing my mind constantly. I'm not convinced Froch can fight to a game plan for 12 rounds without getting sucked into a war with AA. Also, even if he does stick to the plan, I don't think trying to emulate what Dirrell did is going to work for Carl. His footwork isn't good enough. So I can see AA cornering him in the later rounds and landing a big shot through Froch's leaky defence.

I'm not convinced Hagler could make 168 these days tbh. I'll still go with him though. :winkold:

No, I'm not paying £15 for that crap, will be a stream job again I reckon. I wouldn't pay to watch Froch fight to be honest, much as I like him he's not exactly a top quality operator. Same goes for Abraham, he might win but meh, who cares. Froch can't possibly use the same plan that Dirrell did for the reasons you stated and also because he doesn't use the jab nearly enough. This one will turn into a brawl way too quickly and I just get the feeling Froch is more shop-worn and doesn't hit hard enough in a brawl. I'll stick with my original pick of Abraham by mid rounds TKO.

As for the Hagler thing....**** hell I'm getting fed up of being accused of being old, and biased. I guess I'll just have to keep my trap shut and rely on the videos to prove my point. One has absolutely flawless technique, an iron chin and murderous intent for every minute of the fight (in his prime) and the other one made his name beating up 40 year olds with lousy technique and work-rate but got dropped in the process. I know who I fancy in this one.

Hagler would have beat Calzaghe. He was a great fighter in an era of great fighters alongside Duran, Hearns and Leonard. It always make me laugh when people compare the likes of Jones Jr and the **** joke that is Bernard Hopkins to Hagler.

Hagler would have beat Calzaghe. He was a great fighter in an era of great fighters alongside Duran, Hearns and Leonard. It always make me laugh when people compare the likes of Jones Jr and the **** joke that is Bernard Hopkins to Hagler.

I agree that Hagler would have beaten Slappy Joe....but Jones Jr in his prime was a completely different kettle of fish. I'd pick Jones in that one every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Hopkins V Hagler would have been a boring fight but Marvin would have prevailed I suspect via UD.

Shame you don't rate Jones Jr, he's the best fighter of my lifetime as far as I'm concerned, I have him above all the 80's crowd. He's had bad losses recently but no worse than Leonard had at the end of his career. Hagler was smart enough to get out when he was past his best, Jones wasn't....but he still has the wins in his prime for us to remember him by.

Maybe I'm doing Roy a disservice. Actually I definitely am mentioning him in the same bracket as B **** Hop.

Its obviously difficult comparing fighters of different eras. Arguably the advantage the likes of Duran, Leonard, Hagler and Hearns had over the likes of Jones is that they had each other around at the same time so you had a number of exceptional fighters to motivate you and push you to another level.

Roy was certainly the cream of the crop for a long time but I'd suggest the level of opposition wasn't that great compared to what had gone in the era just before. Not Roys fault of course as you can only beat what's in front of you and credit where its due he did a great job of that in his prime.

I don't think there's much point in comparing RJJ and the four kings head-to-head when you consider that RJJ only ever had 2 title fights at Middleweight.

Quite possibly. Had he have been around in that era though he'd have fought at the weight, within reason, that guaranteed the most money and therefore obviously the biggest fights.

IIRC Katsidis showed a lot of class in his interview after defeating Kevin Mitchell at Upton Park. For that I hope he does well against Marquez. Froch V Abraham should hopefully be the complete opposite of Haye V Fraudley.

Â