The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Fury is clearly the dominant boxer in the heavyweight division having seen off Wilder twice now.  To be that big and mobile is quite extraordinary. I am not sure what is end game is, perhaps finally the fight with Joshua but that could take a couple of years now and at present he would be the clear favourite so he may ask for a 60-40 purse which would complicate matters.

In regards to Ali yes he did hold questionable views sometimes and his behaviour to Frazier was a stain on his reputation but he was the greatest boxer at the heavyweight division for two generations. He helped make boxing what it is today as being a global sport based on trash talk, instead of being ruled by the mob. Its funny now he would probably look like a light heavy or cruiserweight when compared to the boxers now. Tyson was amazing until he met Don  King and basically peaked in his early twenties. Post Douglas he just fought for the money and lost all of the head movement from his early days.

I think if Cus lived another decade Tyson would have been even more dominant. He would have struggled in this era of super heavies, but so would the golden age of the 70's... they'd all be giving away in some cases 6-7 inches in height and 50+lb

11 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think if Cus lived another decade Tyson would have been even more dominant. He would have struggled in this era of super heavies, but so would the golden age of the 70's... they'd all be giving away in some cases 6-7 inches in height and 50+lb

I would recommend reading the life and crimes of Don King in which it goes into detail how he gatecrashed into getting Tyson to manage and promote and then did very little in supporting him when his life went off the rails.

45 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would recommend reading the life and crimes of Don King in which it goes into detail how he gatecrashed into getting Tyson to manage and promote and then did very little in supporting him when his life went off the rails.

Honestly how that guy is a free man i'll never known. He even murdered someone ffs!

And the best thing that came out of Ali's miserable last fight was the fact the promoter was kind of an even more shady character than King and when King tried to muscle in to get a last few quid from Ali apparently he got his arse kicked

On 10/10/2021 at 10:42, sheepyvillian said:

The man was born for this shit. You can't teach what he has and he has it in abundance. 

That was Fowler's downfall against Smith, a lack of real self - belief, and when that is your Achilles heel, you're not going to get very far in a  sport like boxing.

Incidentally, I thought the behaviour of the Smith brothers whilst Fowler was on the canvas was despicable. That kind of behaviour coming from ex boxers is a total insult to the sport of boxing. 

A bomb dropping on the whole arena would not have been a bad result 

• Confused 1

On 10/10/2021 at 18:18, foreveryoung said:

I would say so. Can't see Usyk beating Fury, he's just to big, Fury that is.

Put Fury in with Jake Paul, or let Wilder loose on him😂

The small heaths "Top Boy"  who tried to punch Jack Grealish at the pig pen would be my first choice.  

He can have a run up behind Wilder or something, start every round sneaking up behind him like a pantomime villain.

Tough enough to go on a pitch with 23 blokes on so 1 is easy right ?

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2021 at 17:18, foreveryoung said:

I would say so. Can't see Usyk beating Fury, he's just to big, Fury that is.

It may work that way but Usyk may  choose to go to the body, like wilder did in the 1st two rounds, to great effect. 

If I was Fury I would avoid Usyk, hes the best boxer,  other than Fury, in that divisiom and also has the insight to work Furys weaknesses.

Hope AJ can sort that problem out to line up a pay day with Fury. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Shakur Stevenson last night against Herring. He took the title from Herring in a phenomenal performance. This kid has a skill - set on a par with some of the very best. And, he ain't afraid to call anybody out. I can't see Oscar Valdez wanting any part of what was on offer last night, trust me. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Tommy Fury versus Jake Paul fight has intrigued me. Tommy Fury has the bloodline, and will have Tyson in his corner, but hasn’t looked particularly good in his pro fights against sub-standard fighters.

Jake Paul has no fighting pedigree and only fought bums, but has taken care of them with ease in fairness to him.

Fury loses and he’s finished in the sport already. I watched a short interview with John Fury and whilst he was saying he expects Tommy to win he didn’t come across very convincingly. He’s basically relying on Tyson to get him into the right state of mind.

Not sure it’ll happen, maybe Tommy will pick up a mysterious injury nearer the time if his corner think he’s going go embarrass them.

25 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Quite looking forward to the Canelo Plant fight. Got to love a unification bout.  

And me, will watch it in the morning. Can see Canelo winning, Plant is very open in defence, looks vulnerable to an uppercut to me. 

Watched an AJ interview on YouTube and the rematch has started to be intriguing, still feel like he will be to cage and try and out box him but maybe just maybe he will go into to put it all on the line. 

Boxing is great at the moment , love to see Joe Joyce get a shot at a title , maybe Wilder v Joyce or Whyte then the winner of AJ's fight fights the winner of that one. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tinker said:

And me, will watch it in the morning. Can see Canelo winning, Plant is very open in defence, looks vulnerable to an uppercut to me. 

Watched an AJ interview on YouTube and the rematch has started to be intriguing, still feel like he will be to cage and try and out box him but maybe just maybe he will go into to put it all on the line. 

Boxing is great at the moment , love to see Joe Joyce get a shot at a title , maybe Wilder v Joyce or Whyte then the winner of AJ's fight fights the winner of that one. 

Can't see AJ beating Usyk any way he approaches it, best bet for AJ is to all-in from the get go and try land a monster, still doesn't work for me. 've no allegiance to fighter nationalities, always support the best boxer and Usyk is in a different league to AJ.

Fury is a boxer, Fury Usyk is what I want to see. As good as Usyk is, I think Fury can live with his skills and his size will be the deciding factor. 

Just for giggles I'd like to see AJ Wilder. Joyce beats both of them for me.

• Like 3

As they say, a good biggun beats a good little ‘en. I think Fury’s size would be too much for Usyk. 

AJ has a punchers chance against Usyk in the rematch but I suspect it’ll go the same way as the last one.

AJ v Wilder would be interesting, I think AJ would lose that too. 

• Like 3

Â