The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Chances are an AJ / Fury fight will be in the UK. Eddie Hearn was saying yesterday that he's being offer "huge numbers" from around the world to host the fight but says that as its a once in a lifetime heavyweight unification fight between 2 Brits it needs to be here (Wembley).

With it being here it will pull less PPV from the US where Fury has grown his profile recently.

34 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

What? Mate you really are deluded LOL. If you think Fury brings more audience then AJ Worldwide then that is a joke. 

His win over Wilder has brought in viewers - but lets not get it twisted, Boxing isn't even one of the US' biggest sports. It's probably number 7 or 8 of their sports. Wilder isn't even that well known in the US. 

Personality wise, Fury wins by TKO. 

38 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Boxing isn't even one of the US' biggest sports. It's probably number 7 or 8 of their sports. Wilder isn't even that well known in the US. 

In my opinion, Boxing at this level isn't a 'sport' as we understand football, volleyball, hockey or tennis.

It's an entertainment event, a show, something that happens maybe once every year or every two years, depending on the profile of the fighters. 

I don't follow boxing, at all. I think that anything lesser than heavyweight is a bit silly. But when Fury, Wilder, Klitcshko or AJ fight for a heavyweight title of the world, it's something that will get people talking all across the world.

Fury is an amazing story - I know of many people who will watch him once a year because of the event and promotion that goes alongside of it, not because of his jabbing technique.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

What? Mate you really are deluded LOL. If you think Fury brings more audience then AJ Worldwide then that is a joke. 

His win over Wilder has brought in viewers - but lets not get it twisted, Boxing isn't even one of the US' biggest sports. It's probably number 7 or 8 of their sports. Wilder isn't even that well known in the US. 

I think your wrong there  mate. If your talking about the UK  then arguably AJ but globally Fury is a much bigger draw than AJ 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think your wrong there  mate. If your talking about the UK  then arguably AJ but globally Fury is a much bigger draw than AJ 

Sorry mate - but there are no facts that show Fury is a bigger draw in the world then AJ. Look at this fights against Otto Walin, Schwarz, and Pianeta just to see how much a draw he is. Poor viewing figures, even when some of them are on ESPN+. 

Even the first fight against Wilder did about 220k-250k buys, in the US. 

7 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Sorry mate - but there are no facts that show Fury is a bigger draw in the world then AJ. Look at this fights against Otto Walin, Schwarz, and Pianeta just to see how much a draw he is. Poor viewing figures, even when some of them are on ESPN+. 

UK PPV Records

1. Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz II – 1.6m

2. Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko (2017) – 1.5m

3. Anthony Joshua vs Joseph Parker (2018) – 1.45m

4. Floyd Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton (2007) – 1.15m

5. Wladimir Klitschko vs David Haye (2011) – 1.14m

6. Tony Bellew vs David Haye II (2018) – 890,000

7. Anthony Joshua vs Carlos Takam (2017) – 887,000

8. Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquaio (2015) – 876,000

9. Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor (2017) – 874,000

10. David Haye vs Tony Bellew (2017) – 775,000

If Fury can't do record numbers in his own country, how do you expect him to do it worldwide? 

3 hours ago, Jay.P.A said:

UK PPV Records

1. Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz II – 1.6m

2. Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko (2017) – 1.5m

3. Anthony Joshua vs Joseph Parker (2018) – 1.45m

4. Floyd Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton (2007) – 1.15m

5. Wladimir Klitschko vs David Haye (2011) – 1.14m

6. Tony Bellew vs David Haye II (2018) – 890,000

7. Anthony Joshua vs Carlos Takam (2017) – 887,000

8. Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquaio (2015) – 876,000

9. Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor (2017) – 874,000

10. David Haye vs Tony Bellew (2017) – 775,000

If Fury can't do record numbers in his own country, how do you expect him to do it worldwide? 

What was the numbers for wilder vs fury? Im supriser klits vs fury isnt on that list

3 hours ago, Jay.P.A said:

Lets not forget fury was out for 3 years that had a impact also

56 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What was the numbers for wilder vs fury? Im supriser klits vs fury isnt on that list

klits vs fury did 545,000 in the uk but over a million watched it live in the states (peaked at 1.7 mil) on HBO despite being on at lunchtime/early evening and being on at the same time as the Alabama v Auburn iron bowl football game.

It was also 2015, UK PPV numbers were generally lower then anyway due to a complete lack of availability unless you actually had sky/virgin. Now you can get it on a phone/tablet/laptop etc numbers for all PPV are getting much higher. It is only really over the past few years that Joshua has got people used to stumping up £20+ every fight as a regular occurance to the point where it is now seen as pretty much normal.

Fury is an awful lot more popular now than 5 years ago and very few even gave him a chance against Wlad so not sure how many already existing sky/vigin customers (about 13.5 million at the time) would have stumped up the £17 to watch it, As a quick comparison Joshua Whyte which took place 3 weeks later only did 420,000 despite sky absolutely hyping the shit out of it as some sort of london gangsta deathmatch

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

PPV costs in America are ridiculously expensive compared to the UK

Yeah but I think they are far more social creatures than us in the UK, they will get a house full of people round and split the cost, we don't tend to do that as much here.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

PPV costs in America are ridiculously expensive compared to the UK

yup, most are $80-$100 & if you throw in things like UFC & WWE that many boxing fans will also have an interest in that each have their own PPV shows every month it can soon get to be very expensive Although the WWE now have their own $10/month subscription service which is far better value than $50+ per month for invdividual shows. Strangely rather than going down this route with their own UFC fight pass subscription service UFC have decided to up their prices to $65+ for every PPV from this year

Edited by LakotaDakota

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Fury / AJ November or December I guess then.

It'll be one of those fights that never happens. 

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

20 June - Joshua Pulev at Spurs

I wonder if AJ will have a go like he did before Ruiz, or whether he's lost his confidence and will play the long game.

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder if AJ will have a go like he did before Ruiz, or whether he's lost his confidence and will play the long game.

I think we'll see him hiding behind that jab for the foreseeable.

He doesn't have the chin or the engine to go high energy for more than 6 rounds by the looks of things.

Â