The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I have warmed to Fury over the past year. Or I have forgotten that he a homophobic asshole. Regardless as it stands, he is the draw in any AJ Fury bout and it's him that should be demanding 60/40. He is the one that will attract PPV numbers. 

• Like 1

Wilders going to be ridiculed in the press for blaming his pre fight outfit for his poor performance. Can you imagine the shit Fury is going to give him in the 3rd fight press conferences over this bullshit, it will be brutal .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Wilders going to be ridiculed in the press for blaming his pre fight outfit for his poor performance. Can you imagine the shit Fury is going to give him in the 3rd fight press conferences over this bullshit, it will be brutal .

What a absolute idiot. That has to be lamest excuse ive seen 😂

He's actually said in the space of a couple of sentences that his fancy dress outfit was too heavy for him and that he is a warrior.  It is a laughable excuse.  I think Fury leaning on him for 7 rounds and some pretty brutal body shots may have done a little more to gas him out than his cosplay.

For the life of me I cannot fathom out how either him or his PR team thought that it sounds credible and to put out there. This guy is a heavyweight boxer who trained for 12 rounds but was gassed in 3 because he had to wear a bit of weight on his shoulders to the ring. The guy has lost any little credibility that he had left

I've been watching Cheer on Netflix (a documentary about a competitive cheer-leading team and a brilliant show), which might seem to be an odd thing to bring up on a boxing thread, but I do have a reason.  These cheerleaders train like pro gymnasts whilst getting their education at the same time.  They train through pain, injuries all in the name of a perfect performance at the one tournament they can compete in.  And if they win they get a trophy and a ring.  They pull down no salary there is no financial reward, they are not paid professionals.  You know what they do as part of their training for competition day?

They put on full costume and practice the walk from the warm up area to the competition arena.  They measure out the distance and walk the walk to make sure there is nothing they are not prepared for. 

These boys and girls are unpaid college students and they are better prepared for their event than the Heavyweight champion of the world who was pulling down millions for the one fight.  If Wilder was surprised about how heavy his costume was then all he is confessing is that he came into the ring under prepared.  It's worse than pathetic, it is rank amateur stuff.

Edited by Straggler
speling
  • Like 1

He's an appalling boxer, who due to the nature of the business was able to have his ego inflated through crushing cans. I'd be surprised if he has much common sense. Saying that, he did marginally miss Fury a couple of times and could get always lucky.

I’d be a bit worried about Fury if he has to fight Wilder again. 

Will it keep him motivated? After effectively beating him twice, will he retain the level of discipline and desire he’s shown over the past 18 months? 

If I were Frank Warren, I’d offer Wilder what he wants (within reason) to step aside and get the fight with AJ signed. 

On 24/02/2020 at 18:21, Seat68 said:

I have warmed to Fury over the past year. Or I have forgotten that he a homophobic asshole. Regardless as it stands, he is the draw in any AJ Fury bout and it's him that should be demanding 60/40. He is the one that will attract PPV numbers. 

He isn't though? 

AJ is the cash cow. In any fight between AJ and Fury, AJ will be the A-Side and will probably get more, although in this case it should just be 50/50 for the biggest boxing fight in British history.

AJ Made £65m for his last fight - Fury and Wilder made approx $20/25m each. in terms of PPV sales, I'm pretty sure AJ is the only British fighter to break the 1m PPV buys multiple times in the last 15 years or so. 

14 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I’d be a bit worried about Fury if he has to fight Wilder again. 

Will it keep him motivated? After effectively beating him twice, will he retain the level of discipline and desire he’s shown over the past 18 months? 

If I were Frank Warren, I’d offer Wilder what he wants (within reason) to step aside and get the fight with AJ signed. 

There is no way fury wont be motivated as his next fight will be aj if he wins. I dont see what wilder can do to win against fury. He cant box so how does he improve? Only thing he can hope is a lucky punch with that crazy right hand.

If wilder was smart he would step aside fight someone like whyte or usyk let aj and fury fight. Once fury wins he will retire id imagine then wilder has a great chance at getting his belts back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

He isn't though? 

AJ is the cash cow. In any fight between AJ and Fury, AJ will be the A-Side and will probably get more, although in this case it should just be 50/50 for the biggest boxing fight in British history.

AJ Made £65m for his last fight - Fury and Wilder made approx $20/25m each. in terms of PPV sales, I'm pretty sure AJ is the only British fighter to break the 1m PPV buys multiple times in the last 15 years or so. 

Worldwide to casual viewers AJ doesn't mean much. Fury is good telly and entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Worldwide to casual viewers AJ doesn't mean much. Fury is good telly and entertaining. 

What? Mate you really are deluded LOL. If you think Fury brings more audience then AJ Worldwide then that is a joke. 

His win over Wilder has brought in viewers - but lets not get it twisted, Boxing isn't even one of the US' biggest sports. It's probably number 7 or 8 of their sports. Wilder isn't even that well known in the US. 

Â