The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Josh Taylor has left McGuigan and signed a multi fight deal promotion with Top Rank. There has to be something pretty off key going on with Cyclone. Frampton left them and took them to court for unpaid monies. Lots of lower profile fighters have left them too. You can hardly blame Taylor. His star is shining pretty bright on the back of the WBSS sucess. Why would ya want to go back fighting on ch. 5. Plus, Top Rank have Ramirez, the guy with the other 2 belts. That's massive. Probably puts an end to the Taylor and Shane McGuigan trainer/fighter partnership, which is a shame. Frampton left Shane when it got messy with Barry. This isn't a smooth split either. Cyclone released a statement saying Taylor is under contract. 

Calzaghe has said many times that the biggest regret he had is that he didn't get the ottke fight. I think Joe knew that even if he took the short money and went to Germany he would have had to knock him out. German boxing was pretty dirty at the time. Beating Ottke and Markus Beyer was nigh on impossible in Germany. Ottke clearly lost 3 times, at least. Reid ( above ) beat him. Daylight robbery. Charles Brewer beat him. Mads Larsen i thought beat him too. Calzaghe would of wiped him all things been equal. 

Sven Ottke was absolutely awful. Also I genuinely do not think Calzaghe was that good. He thrived in a weak division and didn't really make any ambitious moves to fight against top fighters who were close in weight to him such as Jones near his prime (yes he fought Jones when Jones was shot to pieces) or James Toney. I still feel he was lucky to get beyond Hopkins, most of Calzaghe's offence in that fight was ineffective, not landing or just pity patter stuff.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sven Ottke was absolutely awful. Also I genuinely do not think Calzaghe was that good. He thrived in a weak division and didn't really make any ambitious moves to fight against top fighters who were close in weight to him such as Jones near his prime (yes he fought Jones when Jones was shot to pieces) or James Toney. I still feel he was lucky to get beyond Hopkins, most of Calzaghe's offence in that fight was ineffective, not landing or just pity patter stuff.

I'll respectfully disagree. You have to look at the facts. Apart from Virgil Hill ( quality fighter ) Jones played it pretty safe as a light heavyweight. Never fought Michalczewski nor showed any want to try and make it happen. He moved very tactically so you could easily say maybe he didn't want to fight Calzaghe either. Calzaghe beat everyone at SMW, wasn't his fault he was in a poor era. I'm not for a second knocking Jones btw. His legacy was pretty much borne out of some quality wins at SMW and winning a version of the HW title along with a dominant but unspectacular run of defences at LHW. Calzaghe found a way most times. His mental game was his big strength. Ward would of done him though. Bit too savvy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Just need to call him "Slappy Joe" and I'll think someone has returned from the grave!!

I remember Lacy said Calzaghe just slaps before their fight. Well he got slapped around the ring for the whole fight then, looked broken at the end and probably should of been pulled out in the 11th.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'll respectfully disagree. You have to look at the facts. Apart from Virgil Hill ( quality fighter ) Jones played it pretty safe as a light heavyweight. Never fought Michalczewski nor showed any want to try and make it happen. He moved very tactically so you could easily say maybe he didn't want to fight Calzaghe either. Calzaghe beat everyone at SMW, wasn't his fault he was in a poor era. I'm not for a second knocking Jones btw. His legacy was pretty much borne out of some quality wins at SMW and winning a version of the HW title along with a dominant but unspectacular run of defences at LHW. Calzaghe found a way most times. His mental game was his big strength. Ward would of done him though. Bit too savvy. 

Michalczewski was horrific and wouldn't for a second have left Germany to fight Jones. He actually went on to lose to Julio Cesar Gonzalez, someone Jones beat pretty easily, so that fight is one big moot point. Jones beat everyone at light heavy, there wasn't a huge amount of quality but Hill, Montel Griffin, Tarver and Eric Harding are better than most of Calzaghe's opponents.

The only fighters Jones was considered as 'ducking' during his light heavyweight reign were Hopkins and Toney, who he obviously had already beat, but both were considered different fighters for different reasons (Hopkins as he had become a very successful middleweight after losing to Jones and Toney as he was basically a cruiserweight at that stage). But those fights didn't happen and from Jones' POV, having already beaten both the incentive wasn't really there. 

For me Calzaghe never really dared to be great, could have easily stepped up to lightheavy a lot earlier. For me a prime Jones would have beaten him comfortably if not stop him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

38 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Michalczewski was horrific and wouldn't for a second have left Germany to fight Jones. He actually went on to lose to Julio Cesar Gonzalez, someone Jones beat pretty easily, so that fight is one big moot point. Jones beat everyone at light heavy, there wasn't a huge amount of quality but Hill, Montel Griffin, Tarver and Eric Harding are better than most of Calzaghe's opponents.

The only fighters Jones was considered as 'ducking' during his light heavyweight reign were Hopkins and Toney, who he obviously had already beat, but both were considered different fighters for different reasons (Hopkins as he had become a very successful middleweight after losing to Jones and Toney as he was basically a cruiserweight at that stage). But those fights didn't happen and from Jones' POV, having already beaten both the incentive wasn't really there. 

For me Calzaghe never really dared to be great, could have easily stepped up to lightheavy a lot earlier. For me a prime Jones would have beaten him comfortably if not stop him.

Your right, Jones did beat everyone at LHW. Fair point about Michalczewski although i did think he was past his prime when Gonzalez beat him and retired after been beaten in his next fight also. Calzaghe also beat everyone at SMW. He was actually dead at the weight when he beat Kessler which is a testament to him but for most his career, Reid, Sheika, Woodhall, Lacy he made SMW pretty comfortably. Wasn't a huge puncher. It's just theory and conjecture really to think he would of got Jones to fight him had he moved up. Collins was unbelievably vocal trying to get Jones to fight him. He didn't budge. He really did his own thing.

On 09/01/2020 at 16:34, Johnnyp said:

Josh Taylor has left McGuigan and signed a multi fight deal promotion with Top Rank. There has to be something pretty off key going on with Cyclone. Frampton left them and took them to court for unpaid monies. Lots of lower profile fighters have left them too. You can hardly blame Taylor. His star is shining pretty bright on the back of the WBSS sucess. Why would ya want to go back fighting on ch. 5. Plus, Top Rank have Ramirez, the guy with the other 2 belts. That's massive. Probably puts an end to the Taylor and Shane McGuigan trainer/fighter partnership, which is a shame. Frampton left Shane when it got messy with Barry. This isn't a smooth split either. Cyclone released a statement saying Taylor is under contract. 

MTK bag of cash was probably enough this time.

The McGuigans must be shady as ****. End up in court with lots of fighters that leave them. What screws them up is ultimately they can take a fighter so far but haven't the money or the key component to keeping any fighter - a lucrative tv deal. Having 3 or 4 nights booked woth CH 5 every year is not really a tv deal.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The big one sunday morning fury vs Wilder II. Whats everyones predictions?

I hope fury does it but i have a feeking wilder will open up that cut again from his last fight and stops him 7th or 8th. If fury gets to the leevl he was against Klitschko fury wins easy on points. 

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The big one sunday morning fury vs Wilder II. Whats everyones predictions?

I hope fury does it but i have a feeking wilder will open up that cut again from his last fight and stops him 7th or 8th. If fury gets to the leevl he was against Klitschko fury wins easy on points. 

Did you enjoy your hibernation?

I don't see Fury winning by KO or Wilder winning on points.

That leaves Fury on points or Wilder knockout. You have to assume Fury will be fitter and less rusty this time around which gives him a better chance, on the other hand I don't see him evading Wilders power for the entire 12 rounds either, an absolute coin toss match which makes it so exciting.

If I had to decide I would say Fury on points but wouldn't like to commit either way.

Edited by AVFCDAN

I'm saying Wilder KO, for Fury to win on points he has to be 100% switched on for 100% of the fight, if he takes his eye off the ball for a second Wilder will be there with that equalizer, he has dropped him twice already and Fury has got up which most people don't manage but you have gotta expect that sooner or later if Wilder hits you then you will stay hit.

We all know Wilder isn't concerned about losing 11 rounds so long as he gets that one chance to land a KO punch in the 12th, and Fury's problem is that for a giant of a man he is feather fisted which means Wilder won't really be concerned about what is coming back at him making him all the more content to sit back and wait for that one shot.

It isn't out of the realms of possibility for Fury to win on points but he just needs complete and utter focus at all times and that is difficult to keep up for 36 minutes solid.

Â