The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

There's a Brummie on the undercard...Macklin...

I know him through a mutual friend. Decent lad and a good boxer.

Speaking of good boxers, Canelo Alvarez is quality. 42 fights, he's won 41 and drew one. He's only 22! I've seen him fight 5 or 6 times now and he's impressive. Good victory tonight too.

Martinez dominated against Chavez for 11 rounds then in the last round Chavez put Martinez down but he managed to survive. Great end to the fight. It would have been funny to see Chavez win that! Can you imagine dominating a fight for 11 rounds but getting knocked out in the last round! Soul destroying.

Martinez dominated a slow Chavez Jr. through 11 rounds until Chavez came blasting back and knocked him down in the 12th. If he had another 50 seconds, he probably could have knocked him out. Epic last round.

But Martinez is the better boxer, smarter, faster...there will be a rematch cuz this broke all kinds of money records, but I'd rather see Martinez-Pacqiao, and let the winner fight Mayweather. Yeah, I'm dreaming, I know...

I saw the Canelo fight, seemed pretty routine as he had far too much power for Lopez. Understandable I guess, Lopez has gone up two divisions in two fights and I think this was just him cashing in on his upset victory over Ortiz. Lopez will probably go back down to 147 and a rematch with Ortiz (which means the last year has been pretty good for him financially) but Canelo needs to prove himself at the highest level now. Golden Boy seem very good at matching him with much smaller men or people who are over the hill and he has risen to the top of the rankings despite avoiding everybody of note much like Lucian Bute did.

Canelo vs Mayweather or Cotto please.

Lopez was an awfully matched opponent. I can't give Canelo any credit for the win really. What makes it worse is that Lopez only got $212k, compared to Alvarez's $2m.

I would have loved to have seen him in against Williams. What a shame.

Buster Douglas netted $48K for KO Mike Tyson, and Tyson made something like $8M for getting knocked out...sad.

Lopez was an awfully matched opponent. I can't give Canelo any credit for the win really. What makes it worse is that Lopez only got $212k, compared to Alvarez's $2m.

Buster Douglas netted $48K for KO Mike Tyson, and Tyson made something like $8M for getting knocked out...sad.

You don't get what you deserve in boxing, you get what you negotiate.

You don't get what you deserve in boxing, you get what you negotiate.

6644251_std.jpg

Canelo like Chavez is a bit of a fraud. I`ll personally respect Canelo as soon as he fights proper quality JMW competition rather than naturally smaller opponents or tomato cans. As pointed out, Lopez is a career light welterweight, and has had what? one or two fights at welter? It was a complete size mismatch and frankly an absolute joke.

Chavez thankfully got destroyed by Martinez, although my jaw hit the floor in the 12th. Given Chavez came in the ring essentially as big as a Cruiserweight (according to Roy Jones on the commentary), it wasn´t a huge surpirse that he could take the punch of a man much smaller. Martinez got silly in the 12th, he left his chin out there and got tagged and very nearly stopped. For me, it somewhat took the gloss off an otherwise master class performance. The reason I say this is because there are already calls for a rematch based on the last round, ignoring the fact that Chavez lost 1-11.

Also of interest was that Martinez´s reported purse for the fight was quoted as $1.5m whereas Chavez made $3m.

Macklin did well, although Alcine has had better days and could never take a punch whenever he stepped upto to middleweight, was a very solid JMW in his prime though. My only surprise in that was that he was stopped in the 1st round, I thought it go to the mid rounds. HBO seem to be looking to make Macklin a minor player in the division. I think they´re bringing Danny Geale over, it wouldn´t surprise me much they give him Macklin in his first fight on American soil. OR, if they throw Macklin in there with Golovkin in another profile raising fight for GGG.

A final thing that caught my eye was the Maidana fight. This was the best I´ve ever seen Maidana, he actually showed a jab! and a willingness to feint and throw decent combinations. It´s a change from his previously crude approach.

Overall, excellent weekend for boxing that, pity I was away in Spain lol.

The reason I say this is because there are already calls for a rematch based on the last round, ignoring the fact that Chavez lost 1-11.

The fight sold well, that's why both sides were talking it up. Although that's looking less likely now with Junior testing positive for Marijuana. Another example of his lack of professionalism.

A good night ahead of us tomorrow with Burns vs Mitchell and Frampton vs Molitor.

I think Burns will win a fairly comfortable decision. I think Mitchell will have a lot of problems closing the gap. I don't like Molitor's chances against Frampton. He looked very faded last time out, and got a bit of a gift really. He should stick around for the final bell though.

Selby vs Lindsay and McCloskey vs Perez aren't bad fights either!

The reason I say this is because there are already calls for a rematch based on the last round, ignoring the fact that Chavez lost 1-11.

The fight sold well, that's why both sides were talking it up. Although that's looking less likely now with Junior testing positive for Marijuana. Another example of his lack of professionalism.

A good night ahead of us tomorrow with Burns vs Mitchell and Frampton vs Molitor.

I think Burns will win a fairly comfortable decision. I think Mitchell will have a lot of problems closing the gap. I don't like Molitor's chances against Frampton. He looked very faded last time out, and got a bit of a gift really. He should stick around for the final bell though.

Selby vs Lindsay and McCloskey vs Perez aren't bad fights either!

I think Mitchell will beat Burns

If I had to bet, I'd say Burns. It's consistency (Burns) vs potential (Mitchell) though, Burns does everything well all of the time whereas Mitchell is a bit more of a maverick, capable of something more spectacular than Burns but less likely to be able to pull it off. Difficult to call, and I dont think their respective performances against Michael Katsidis is an effective barometer. But Burns on points.

Kimbo Slice vs Roy Jones jr in Jamaica at some point later this year. CguHc.gif

Roy was one of the greatest of all time, imagine what his legacy would have been like if he retired after winning the heavyweight title? Now he will just be remembered as a freak show who went on far too long.

Â