The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

This fight escaped me but 'our' Tony Bellew will be fighting Edison Miranda on the 8th of September.

Big fight for Tony, it's a nice step up for him. Miranda, is of course washed up and past his best. He was once tipped to be a big star but lost all of his big fights including two to Arthur Abraham, and fights with Kelly Pavlik, Andre Ward and Lucian Bute. He also recently loss to Isaac Chilemba.

Miranda has a habit of getting knocked out, Bellew is a good puncher so he can stop Miranda. However, the reason Miranda was widely touted in his early days is because he's a massive puncher, if he catches Bellew Bellew will be sleeping.

Tony needs to box smart, work the jab and not do anything silly, that way he'll cruise to a UD. If he tries to 'go to war' and trade he'll most likely visit the canvas. I'm betting Bellew on points straddled with Miranda via KO.

Incidentally, September 8th is an incredible day for boxing:

Tony Bellew vs Edison Miranda

Darren Barker vs Simone Rotolo

Andre Ward vs Chad Dawson

Antonio DeMarco vs John Molina

Bowie Tupou vs Malik Scott

Tomasz Adamek vs Travis Walker

Bryant Jennings vs Chris Koval

Steve Cunningham vs Jason Gavern

Devon Alexander vs Randall Bailey

Lucas Martin Matthysse vs Ajose Olusegun

Peter Quillin vs TBA

Vitali Klitschko vs Manuel Charr

Magomed Abdusalamov vs Jameel McCline

Plenty of good action there, I think my entire Sunday will be taken up watching boxing on youtube.

Incidentally, September 8th is an incredible day for boxing:

Tony Bellew vs Edison Miranda

Darren Barker vs Simone Rotolo

Andre Ward vs Chad Dawson

Antonio DeMarco vs John Molina

Bowie Tupou vs Malik Scott

Tomasz Adamek vs Travis Walker

Bryant Jennings vs Chris Koval

Steve Cunningham vs Jason Gavern

Devon Alexander vs Randall Bailey

Lucas Martin Matthysse vs Ajose OlusegunPeter Quillin vs TBA

Vitali Klitschko vs Manuel Charr

Magomed Abdusalamov vs Jameel McCline

Plenty of good action there, I think my entire Sunday will be taken up watching boxing on youtube.

Be good to see ajose back in action after he keeps being 'screwed' out of title shots. Personally think Ward will beat dawson with ease. Cant see any upsets happening in any of those fights and Bellew should beat a past it Miranda, although still think Bellew's chin is suspect although his heart is undeniable

Ajose Olusegun has definitely been screwed over, he's a good boxer, but I expect Matthysse to beat him by knock out, Matthysse is pound for pound one of the biggest punchers in boxing. I'm looking forward to the fight though, it will be very competitive. But I'd say that if Olusegun beats Matthysse that it would be an upset as Matthysse has the better record and goes into the fight the betting favourite.

Antonio DeMarco vs John Molina is a tough fight to call, DeMacro is the favourite in that but Molina has been on a very good run and has good power.

Alexander should shut out Randall Bailey but Bailey has immense power and has a punchers chance so could be an upset there. In his fight with Mike Jones, Jones was boxing his ears off until he got caught with a massive upper cut.

Bit of action this weekend: Robert Stieglitz vs. Arthur Abraham for the WBO Super Middleweight strap.

Stieglitz is rated highly, ring magazine put him at number 2, he was going to fight George Groves a few months back but one of them got injured. I have no idea why Stieglitz is rated so highly. He is unbeaten over the last 4 years but hasn't beaten anyone of serious note, Karoly Balzsay is the only name that stands out and he was hardly a great boxer. On top of that Stieglitz was KO'd by Liberado Andrade and Alejandro Berrio.

Stieglitz doesn't have much power but does have foot speed and movement, he's not a bad boxer.

Abraham is IMO not the fighter he was but is still one of the biggest punchers in the sport pound for pound. He can KO Stieglitz so Stieglitz needs to be on his bike most of the fight, work behind the jab and try to out box AA.

That said my money will be on Abraham by KO, I get the feeling the KO will come around the 8th or 9th round.

Stieglitz vs Abraham starting now on boxnation.

Should be a good fight, still going for Abraham KO but did at the last minute hedge somewhat with Steiglitz UD.

Joe 'firm but fair' Cortez is ref, can't believe that idiot still has a job in boxing.

Carl Froch to face Yusaf Mack on November 17 in Nottingham.

An easy one, but he's earned it.

Yep Mack was a B level at best SMW and is a B level at best LHW. Froch should win this by stoppage. Mack has been stopped before by the likes of Liberado Andrade and Glen Johnson.

Cloud also stopped him last year in a title fight I seem to remember.

Looks like the Bute rematch will be early(ish) next year. Mack is a decent tune up considering Bute is fighting someone with more professional kickboxing bouts than actual boxing ones LOL.

Your knowledge of boxing is too great for this site Dr Pangloss lol but good to have a real boxing fan on here, keep up the posts there good reads!

What do you think of Bellew chances against Miranda?! Last time i seen Miranda he looked shot to shit, but i really dont rate Bellew. Think he is european at best, massive heart but his chin has been exposed by a journey man in mckenzie, he struggle with bob ajisafe and he really hasnt fought anyone of note other then an over hyped Cleverley, who if you didnt know has a Maths Degree lol

Really beleive Chavez Jnr will pull off the upset against Martinez...Martinez is living off his williams wins and against ordinary fighters like Darren Baker, and Matt Macklin he really looked nothing special. Gonna have a big bet on this as I beleive Chavez will pull it off against the odds with an ageing Martinez

Your knowledge of boxing is too great for this site Dr Pangloss lol but good to have a real boxing fan on here, keep up the posts there good reads!

What do you think of Bellew chances against Miranda?! Last time i seen Miranda he looked shot to shit, but i really dont rate Bellew. Think he is european at best, massive heart but his chin has been exposed by a journey man in mckenzie, he struggle with bob ajisafe and he really hasnt fought anyone of note other then an over hyped Cleverley, who if you didnt know has a Maths Degree lol

lol cheers, I did make a post on the Bellew fight but happy to drop some further thoughts.

Bellew I'm not so sure about to be honest. I think he can crack, throws a good left hook and has power in the right.

He does have a decent boxing brain as he showed against McKenzie in the second fight and against the very overrated Cleverly (I felt Bellew could have won that, very close fight).

I'm not sure he has a particularly great chin, I don't think his boxing skills are that great, and he can often get dragged into a war. As he did in the first fight with McKenzie and he got dropped and almost stopped in that one.

The light-heavy division is pretty weak the way I see it. Chad Dawson, Jean Pascal, the over-the-hill Hopkins and Tavoris Cloud are the only legitimate quality fighters in there, and I still have question marks over Cloud and Pascal can be beaten by any smart boxer.

Basically, because L/W is weak I think he could be a contender, I do think he's better than Euro level, it wouldn't be impossible for him to hold a title as I think he's capable of taking Cleverly's paper belt off of him. I can't stand Cleverly and I can't believe he has a degree in Maths as he sounds as thick as pig shit, he must have barely passed his degree.

Anyway, Edison Miranda is a massive puncher, he's over the hill but can still hit hard. If Bellew somehow gets dragged into a war like the first McKenzie fight, make no mistake about it, Bellew is getting knocked out cold. If Bellew is smart, works behind the jab and doesn't engage much, he'll take the fight on points. Miranda also doesn't have a great chin and has been stopped before by some big hitters, so I wouldn't completely rule out Bellew in a late-ish stoppage, but I go for him on points at this point.

Yep Mack was a B level at best SMW and is a B level at best LHW. Froch should win this by stoppage. Mack has been stopped before by the likes of Liberado Andrade and Glen Johnson.

Looks like the Bute rematch will be early(ish) next year. Mack is a decent tune up considering Bute is fighting someone with more professional kickboxing bouts than actual boxing ones LOL.

Grachev is a better opponent than what I was expecting for Bute. He's coming off a brilliant upset win over Sillakh, who a lot of people (myself included) were tipping for the top. Saying that I think providing Bute head is right following the Froch fight, he shouldn't have any problems and look great in the process. Grachev's built slightly in the Glen Johnson mould, yet not quite on his level.

I was interested to hear that Froch was saying the rematch could take place at a catchweight. That's a bit of a strange one really, and if it happens makes the fight an even harder sell.

On Bellew, I think you're being a bit harsh on his chin. Look at the powers of recovery he shown against McKenzie, particularly the second knockdown. I don't think it's going to be an issue for him. Especially with his much improved defence since leaving Arnie.

Ovill McKenzie really doesn't warrant the journeyman label, btw.

good to have a real boxing fan on here

:?

Watching Sky Sports News last night, Brook effectively called out Khan in a round and about way. Also had a dig saying that he might need to re-build his career a little after getting beat by Garcia before facing him! :lol:

Shit's about to get good y'all!!

As i said a couple of pages ago, money would be on Brook.

Grachev is a better opponent than what I was expecting for Bute. He's coming off a brilliant upset win over Sillakh, who a lot of people (myself included) were tipping for the top. Saying that I think providing Bute head is right following the Froch fight, he shouldn't have any problems and look great in the process. Grachev's built slightly in the Glen Johnson mould, yet not quite on his level.

I was interested to hear that Froch was saying the rematch could take place at a catchweight. That's a bit of a strange one really, and if it happens makes the fight an even harder sell.

On Bellew, I think you're being a bit harsh on his chin. Look at the powers of recovery he shown against McKenzie, particularly the second knockdown. I don't think it's going to be an issue for him. Especially with his much improved defence since leaving Arnie.

Yeah I'm not saying he has a glass jaw or anything just that I'm not really sure how his chin actually is, McKenzie isn't exactly a big puncher but hurt Bellew, but we will see. The fact is if Miranda connects on anyone flush they're going to be in trouble, I just hope Bellew boxes smart and doesn't try to go to war.

Sillakh was certainly a very good win for Grachev but I really don't expect him to trouble Bute much. I'm not sure how much of a good tune up fight this would be for Bute given the fight after will most likely be Froch.

Some rumours that Amir Khan's 'comeback' fight will be against Joan Guzman.

Now Joan Guzman is probably past his best at 36 years old but I can tell you that the man still has good speed, a lot of technique and can still punch with power from either hand.

If this fight comes off we could be witnessing the end of Khan's career. I must admit, if this rumor is true Khan must have one hell of a stupid team around him as Guzman represents enormous risk and hardly any reward. Not many have heard of Guzman and he doesn't have any serious Belt at Light Welter. If Khan does win, because Guzman is pretty unknown to the public he won't be getting much in the way of credit.

But yeah, this has the seconding coming of Bredis Prescott written all over it.

Some rumours that Amir Khan's 'comeback' fight will be against Joan Guzman.

Now Joan Guzman is probably past his best at 36 years old but I can tell you that the man still has good speed, a lot of technique and can still punch with power from either hand.

If this fight comes off we could be witnessing the end of Khan's career. I must admit, if this rumor is true Khan must have one hell of a stupid team around him as Guzman represents enormous risk and hardly any reward. Not many have heard of Guzman and he doesn't have any serious Belt at Light Welter. If Khan does win, because Guzman is pretty unknown to the public he won't be getting much in the way of credit.

But yeah, this has the seconding coming of Bredis Prescott written all over it.

I think the only hope for Khan now is it to leave Roach and move to a more defensive minded coach like Nazim Richardson who would be perfect for khan.

It was obvious from Ringside that Khan was second best to pacman and having to fly to the phillipines to train for his fight then back to the wildcard without roach couldnt have helped.

Nazim Richardson will defo improve his defense, as although he has improved greatly under roach he is still too easy to hit and willl focus more of his time on Khan then roach can.

I trained in the wildcard when I was in LA 3 years ago (when I say train I did 3 minutes of padwork with freddies brother, pepper) anyone can go down and pay a small fee, its amazing how tiny the gym actually is. Unfortunetly freddie, pacman, and khan wernt there to laugh at my attempts on the pads

Â