The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

khan v brook sometime in the future maybe?

Kell Brook would beat Khan in my opinion. Both very similar fighters but i think Brook would beat him.

Interesting. Khan was being very arrogant when Brook was calling him out earlier this year, saying Brook is not in his league. Now it may well be Khan the one looking for Brook.

Brook has great timing and is slick, but also easy to hit, and I'm not sure Brook really has a huge amount of power, he's a crisp puncher but not a big puncher. Although that may be enough against Khan's weak chin.

Would be a very interesting fight, I'd struggle to pick a winner as things stand, but would be rooting for Brook.

In boxing news:

The IBF have 'assessed' Lamont Peterson and have concluded that his testosterone enhancement was for 'therapeutic' use only. Thus, they retain Lamont as their light-welter champion.

On top of that he's expected to defend his strap against the washed up Zab Judah later this year or early next year. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I don't see Jab doing that to be honest, he has a chance of winning on points, but this Judah is completely washed up so I think Lamont will beat him handily on points, at least that's where my money would go.

Price would demolish Audley inside 5 rounds, Audley is about as quick as the Eifle tower on his feet, he won't be able to land on Price, Price will box him at range, use his superior hand speed and then, when confident Fraudley has nothing, will proceed to knock him out.

Price also has a fight with Michael Grant (KO'd by Lennox Lewis over a decade ago) lined up in South Africa in February, VERY strange fight, Price will needs to step up his level of competition at his age, he's 30 this year. He needs to go after a Ruslan Chagaev, Arreola, Adamek, Bystrov or Pulev, all winnable fights and will do great things in raising his profile. Beating up tomato cans ain't gonna do anything for his development.

Broner's an idiot but an incredible talent. Before we get too carried away though it's worth watching his fight against Ponce de León again, he really struggled and IMO got a robbery decision.

His robbery over Quintero a couple of years earlier was even worse.

True, I think Teddy Atlas went mad over that if I remember correctly.

Although that fight was very much early days, Broner couldn't have been more than 10 fights into his career and it was only like an 8 round fight.

Ponce de León was more revealing for me as it was quite recent and on a much bigger stage.

Broner's ego is incredible for someone of his (in)experience. I'd love him to put his money where his mouth is and fight someone like Juan Manuel Marquez at 135lbs.

Broner's an idiot but an incredible talent. Before we get too carried away though it's worth watching his fight against Ponce de León again, he really struggled and IMO got a robbery decision.

Although that fight was very much early days, Broner couldn't have been more than 10 fights into his career and it was only like an 8 round fight.

Ponce de León was more revealing for me as it was quite recent and on a much bigger stage.

Broner's ego is incredible for someone of his (in)experience. I'd love him to put his money where his mouth is and fight someone like Juan Manuel Marquez at 135lbs.

Absolutely yeah, but it's a fight Quintero took at 3 days notice and Broner was very much expected to win. He seems to have got a free pass for it by most though.

I don't rate him as much as most people seem to. He's improved a lot and is still young, but I don't like this Mayweather impression of his. He's nowhere near as slick as he thinks he is, and I think he would be better off fighter more as a boxer-puncher.

Him and Marquez would be a cracking fight. I'd still like to see him fight Burns. I think Burns could potentially give him real problems.

Absolutely yeah, but it's a fight Quintero took at 3 days notice and Broner was very much expected to win. He seems to have got a free pass for it by most though.

I don't rate him as much as most people seem to. He's improved a lot and is still young, but I don't like this Mayweather impression of his. He's nowhere near as slick as he thinks he is, and I think he would be better off fighter more as a boxer-puncher.

Him and Marquez would be a cracking fight. I'd still like to see him fight Burns. I think Burns could potentially give him real problems.

I hate him but I do think he'll go all the way and be a force in boxing, I think he'll be able to go up as far as welterweight and still be a success.

I like what you say about him being a boxer-puncher, he could pull that off well. Still early days though, he really needs a step up in competition.

Burns would be a good test, although Burns would not be able to hurt Broner as his punching is powder puff, so he'd have to rely on work rate and volume, I could actually see Broner stopping Burns later on, but would still be a good fight.

What do you guys think on this one? Is it a 50/50?

It's a good fight but the fact that it's at 168 instead of 175 puts a bit of a downer on it.

I think you've got to make Ward a clear favourite for it. I think he'll make Dawson look completely clueless, even if Dawson can do the weight well. I wasn't impressed by him in the Hopkins fight, and he's up against a much greater talent here. If Hopkins still had the tank to throw a half-decent amount of shots he would have beaten Chad.

We all know how mentally weak Dawson can be, I think he's going to start to crumble after a couple of rounds when he can't lay a glove on Ward.

After this, assuming Ward wins, I'm not really sure what's next for him. Perhaps the winner of Pascal-Cloud, but beyond that I can't really see anything left for him of note.

Dawson is overrated, he's talented but not as good as HBO like to make out.

Ward IMO is the real deal, much more intelligent than Dawson and more consistent. Ward will win this fight and I think by a surprisingly wide points margin.

Being at 168 definitely doesn't help Dawson as at 175 he's ripped and he's known to walk around at touching 190 with a low body fat. But it's admirable that Dawson chose to take the fight at 168 and fight for Ward's belts, rather than having this at some silly catchweight.

When Ward wins this, I think he could move up to light-heavy, depending how the fight goes there could be a possible rematch with Dawson at 175 but this time for Dawson's WBC and lineal L/H straps.

Other than that there is, as said above, the winner of the Pascal-Cloud fight, but Ward would absolutely school both of them and make them look like amateurs. There's no one else at Light heavy worth Ward's time.

At Super middle Ward could fight Froch in a rematch, he schooled Froch in the first fight but Froch will put up a better effort second time round, plus Ward expressed a desire to fight in England so, could happen. Other than that he could fight the very talented Andre Dirrell who also schooled Froch.

Ward IMO is that good and has the right physique and lifestyle that suggests that he could probably fight at both L/H and Super-middle for the next few years.

IMO he's the pound for pound best in boxing right now.

Ward's a hell of a fighter but I could do without all the "Son Of God" crap.

I'd like to see a Froch rematch too, will be different from the first fight. Think Ward wins again but if Froch fights like he did against Bute then who knows?

Yeah he has some talent, staying at amateur is perhaps smart given he apparently has only been boxing for 3 years, it'll give him chance to learn and improve without the serious danger of getting knocked out. He's defence is poor so he really needs to improve that.

He has the height and weapons to do well at h/w, by the time he goes pro the Klitschko's will have retired so who knows what the h/w will look like in the future.

lol well if he does go pro, given his inexperience he'll have to fight bums for a few years, if they step him up too fast he'll get his career ended before it started.

Also, I'm really excited for the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Sergio Martinez fight this time next month. Going to be really interesting and I hope to see Martinez knock Junior the F out.

Â