The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Pacquiao V Mosley would be something to behold....but Pac doesn't like fighting fast guys.

Funny how everyone claims Floyd avoids punchers but no-one lays this accusation at Pac, Mosley is the obvious fight for him if you ask me but it hasn't happened. I think Mosley has a better than 50% chance of beating both Pac and Mayweather right now.

You think he'd be favourite? :shock:

Of course I don't....what the bookies say and what I say are 2 different things, and they often get it badly wrong in boxing. Hence my nice little 66-1 odds for Mayweather to KO Hatton 8)

I still kick myself for not taking the 200-1 on Khan getting knocked out in the first by Prescott by the way....that's how wrong the bookies can be.

I'd give Mayweather a better chance against Mosley by the way, having a good defence or being physically bigger than Mosley are pretty much essential - Pac has neither advantage in this case.

I don't care about betting favourite, I mean you think Mosley would beat both? :?

Hence my nice little 66-1 odds for Mayweather to KO Hatton 8)

:shock:

That's craaaazy.

To be fair it was a 'round' pick.....Mayweather was 66-1 to KO Hatton from rounds 7-12, I bet on 8, 9 and 10 as I figured Hatton would have had enough by then....I was right, it was one of my best ever picks to be honest. Watch the fight again, people only remember the KO but they forget the brutalising Hatton got in the 3 rounds previous.

Pacquiao V Mosley would be something to behold....but Pac doesn't like fighting fast guys.

Funny how everyone claims Floyd avoids punchers but no-one lays this accusation at Pac, Mosley is the obvious fight for him if you ask me but it hasn't happened. I think Mosley has a better than 50% chance of beating both Pac and Mayweather right now.

You think he'd be favourite? :shock:

Of course I don't....what the bookies say and what I say are 2 different things, and they often get it badly wrong in boxing. Hence my nice little 66-1 odds for Mayweather to KO Hatton 8)

I still kick myself for not taking the 200-1 on Khan getting knocked out in the first by Prescott by the way....that's how wrong the bookies can be.

I'd give Mayweather a better chance against Mosley by the way, having a good defence or being physically bigger than Mosley are pretty much essential - Pac has neither advantage in this case.

I don't care about betting favourite, I mean you think Mosley would beat both? :?

Based on the Mosley that fought Margarito, yes I do. Mosley is getting old now though, think he's 37/38. If the fight doesn't happen soon then he'll slip and become easier meat, both Pac and Floyd know this, hence they're steering clear.

Take a look at Pacs recent opposition, same with Floyd. There isn't a fighter on either of their record that is as good as the Mosley that beat Margarito. A lot has been made of the Cotto win for Pac but he was coming off a bad loss to Margarito - Mosley was given no chance against Margarito because he dropped a decision to Cotto in a fight many people thought he'd won.

Mosley is mega, mega dangerous for BOTH Pac and Floyd, make no mistake about it. Why do you think Pac has headed straight for Joshua **** Clottey now he can't get the Mayweather fight? I have no idea who Mayweather will face now, but I bet it won't be Shane Mosley.

Mayweather should insist on blood tests for whoever he fights as well, then they can parade around being all "Look this guy had nothing to hide, why won't pac take them?"

I seriously can't believe that what would have been one of the richest fights in boxing history isn't going down because Pacquiao is scared of giving a little blood. You don't turn down a 8 figure purse on the basis of a losing a tiny amount of blood unless you're hiding something.

Manny Pacquiao to Fight Joshua Clottey at 144 Catchweight

One of the first things that seven-division champion, Manny Pacquiao, says that he will do long before stepping into the ring against challenger, Joshua Clottey, on March 13 will be to attempt to get a good feel and to acclimate himself to the expansive venue that is the Dallas Cowboys' Stadium.

"We're scheduled to come in either Saturday or Sunday to America, and on Jan. 18, there is a press tour, and I'm sure that we'll go look at the stadium when we're in Dallas," said Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser.

"Manny's heard that it's just out of this world, that's it's a high-tech, top-notch stadium with some plasma screen that goes around half of the field," said Koncz. "We've heard that it holds more than 100,000 people, and that's a spectacular place."

That story was relayed on Sunday night by Koncz, from the Philippines, where he is with Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 knockouts) as the fighter spends time with his children and his wife, who will celebrate a birthday on Jan. 13.

Pacquiao is expected to be in Los Angeles to begin preparing for the 32-year-old Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs) at the nearby Wild Card Boxing Club of his trainer, Freddie Roach, in Hollywood by Jan. 17. Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank CEO, Bob Arum, plans to hold a press conference to announce the fight on Jan. 18 at the Dallas Stadium, followed by another on Jan. 19 in New York.

Arum and his stepson, Top Rank president, Todd duBoef, completed the deal in Arlington, Texas, with Dallas Stadium during Sunday's face-to-face with owner, Jerry Jones, who allowed them to watch his Cowboys rout their NFL rival, the Philadelphia Eagles, 34-14, from his luxurious box suite on Saturday night.

"Manny defending his title against Joshua Clottey is not just a great event, it's a great fight, and one we can showcase to the fullest in Cowboys Stadium," Jones told FanHouse. "We're going to promote this like it was the Super Bowl."

The $1.2 billion domed stadium seats 80,000, but is expandable enough to accomodate up to 111,000 beneath a retractable roof that protects against rain. The stadium also features more than 3,000 Sony LCD displays throughout the luxury suites, concourses, concession areas, and Jones said that all, if not most, of the displays will be operating on fight night.

A southpaw, Pacquiao is 11-0, with eight knockouts since losing by unanimous decision to Erik Morales in March of 2005, having contested all but two of those bouts in Las Vegas. Pacquiao last fought in Texas at San Antonio's Alamo Dome, where he stopped Jorge Solis in eight rounds in April of 2007.

Pacquiao is coming off of November's 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto, from whom he lifted the WBO welterweight (147 pounds) crown -- one that will be on the line against Clottey.

Like Cotto, who was contracted to come in at a catch weight of 145 pounds, Clottey will be required to weigh-in at no more than 144 pounds, said Koncz.

That could be a huge advantage for Pacquiao, since Clottey is listed to have not been at that size since March of 1997, when he decisioned Mark Ramsey -- a fighter with a record of 13-11-2 -- over eight rounds.

Known to be a big welterweight who has been troubled, at times, with making weight, Clottey has weighed more than 147 pounds for bouts 11 times during his career, twice, at 154.

Pacquiao-Clottey replaced a previously scheduled, highly-lucrative matchup between Pacquiao and 32-year-old, five-time king, Floyd Mayweather (40-0,25 KOs), that was scheduled for March 13 at Las Vegas' MGM Grand before a drug-testing controversy led to a negotiations impasse.

Mayweather's adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, also his CEO of Mayweather Promotions, said that undefeated fighter will face an opponent to be determined at The MGM Grand also on March 13.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO, Richard Schaefer, who has been negotiating on behalf of Mayweather, could not be reached for comment.

But Schaefer told Boxing Scene's Rick Reeno that the winner of a Jan. 30 bout between 26-year-old WBC welterweight champ, Andre Berto (25-0, 19 knockouts), and 38-year-old WBC super champ, Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), could be a future opponent for Mayweather.

"Shane is considered by most as the best 147-pounder out there. He has a tough fight on January 30 against an undefeated champion, Andre Berto," said Schaefer. "I'm very excited about that fight, and there is a lot at stake -- including a possible fight with Mayweather."

Mayweather and Pacquiao had agreed to face each other at 147 pounds even, while Oscar De La Hoya and Cotto each fought Pacquiao after having weighed in at 145 pounds. De La Hoya, who was knocked out in the eighth round, said that dropping the pounds drained him, while Cotto's contracted weight was 145.

Pacquiao, who stopped De La Hoya in eight rounds, weighed, 142, and, 144, respectively, against De La Hoya and Cotto.

Pacquiao reviewed video of WBA and WBO lightweight (135 pounds) titlist Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5-1, 37 KOs), New York's junior welterweight (140 pounds) star, Paulie Malignaggi (27-3, five KOs), and, WBA junior middleweight king Yuri Foreman (28-0, eight KOs) of New York before settling on Clottey.

Malignaggi "would have been very boring," said Pacquiao, and "the size of Yuri Foreman" would have forced Pacquiao to be "more of a boxer, and the fans wouldn't have appreciated that."

Pacquiao felt that he had nothing to prove against Marquez, whom he has battled to a draw and beaten by decision, respectively.

So the pick was Clottey.

"We didn't see any video on Clottey, but because Manny is a consumate performer, he wanted to give his fans the best that he could give them. Manny felt that this was the right opponent to do that," said Koncz. "The size, the styles, and the marketability -- that's why he chose Clottey. Out of the selections that were available, Manny felt that this would provide the most entertaining fight for the fans."

Pacquiao was, however, at ringside when Clottey lost June's disputed, 12-round decision to Cotto, who scored a flash knock-down against the native Ghanian in the first round.

"Our mutual thoughts were that we thought Clottey won the fight against Cotto. It was a very close fight, but we thought that he won it. Truthfully, we were focusing on Cotto, because that's who we were focused on. But I think that the styles are going to make for a spectacular fight, and Manny feels the same way," said Koncz.

"In some aspects, he's tougher than Cotto. He throws a lot more punches than Cotto, he's more muscularly-built than Cotto, and he probably takes a few better shots than Cotto can to the body," said Koncz.

"Those are the two advantages that Clottey had over Cotto," said Koncz. "Plus, Clottey's a little tighter in his defense, and we'll have to penetrate that. Cotto had a tendancy to drop his hands, but Clottey didn't do that when he fought Cotto."

Shocker, he wants a catchweight.

word removed :lol:

Schafer of GBP has said Floyd will be back at the MGM on March 13th. Malignaggi, Cintron, Cambell or Bradley are considered. Also scotched the Matt Hatton rumours

He's going to go head to head with Pac for PPV buys? Seems like cutting off his nose to spite his face to me. Dana will have a field day with that.

AT LEAST he's not fighting Matt Hatton.

Schafer of GBP has said Floyd will be back at the MGM on March 13th. Malignaggi, Cintron, Cambell or Bradley are considered. Also scotched the Matt Hatton rumours

He's going to go head to head with Pac for PPV buys? Seems like cutting off his nose to spite his face to me. Dana will have a field day with that.

I'd rather watch Mayweather fight Hatton than watch Pac against a hideously weight drained Clottey. What a wankerish move that is - especially coming from the guy that wanted Floyd to pay up $10 million if he dared come in a pound overweight.

He's actually putting Clottteys health at risk with this move in my opinion and Clottey should be smart enough to tell him to go **** himself.

I'd rather watch Mayweather fight Hatton than watch Pac against a hideously weight drained Clottey. What a wankerish move that is - especially coming from the guy that wanted Floyd to pay up $10 million if he dared come in a pound overweight.

He's actually putting Clottteys health at risk with this move in my opinion and Clottey should be smart enough to tell him to go **** himself.

Akon is too much of a warrior to tell him to **** off, he'll fight anyone for a good payday. War Akon!

Tyson is guest hosting WWE Raw tonight btw :D

Audley Harrison will challenge Brentford-based Pole Albert Sosnowski for the European heavyweight title. The fight will take place on a Matchroom Sport promoted show in London in March (date TBC).

Harrison his earned his opportunity on the back of winning October’s Prizefighter tournament which has breathed fresh life into a career which looked over following his losses to Michael Sprott and Martin Rogan.

2010 is very much make or break for the much maligned former Olympic gold medallist. Victory over Sosnowski would likely gain Harrison a top ten ranking with the WBC and keep alive his slender hopes of still challenging for the world heavyweight title. Defeat however would all but end the 38-year-old’s pretensions.

The 30-year-old Sosnowski impressed when outscoring Italy’s Paolo Vidoz to capture the vacant European crown at York Hall in Bethnal Green in December. The Pole has only two defeats from his 48 contests and also holds an eighth round stoppage victory over Harrison’s long-time nemesis Danny Williams.

WAR AUDLEY!!!!!!!

Based on the Mosley that fought Margarito, yes I do. Mosley is getting old now though, think he's 37/38. If the fight doesn't happen soon then he'll slip and become easier meat, both Pac and Floyd know this, hence they're steering clear.

Take a look at Pacs recent opposition, same with Floyd. There isn't a fighter on either of their record that is as good as the Mosley that beat Margarito. A lot has been made of the Cotto win for Pac but he was coming off a bad loss to Margarito - Mosley was given no chance against Margarito because he dropped a decision to Cotto in a fight many people thought he'd won.

Mosley is mega, mega dangerous for BOTH Pac and Floyd, make no mistake about it. Why do you think Pac has headed straight for Joshua **** Clottey now he can't get the Mayweather fight? I have no idea who Mayweather will face now, but I bet it won't be Shane Mosley.

Margarito was gift wrapped for Mosley. A static target.

Everybody that has beat Mosley has beat him with a sharp jab, Margarito ain't got that. Mayweather has a world class jab and the best right cross in the business. Pacquiao has the best straight left in the business. They'd both beat Mosley.

Everybody that has beat Mosley has beat him with a sharp jab, Margarito ain't got that. Mayweather has a world class jab and the best right cross in the business. Pacquiao has the best straight left in the business. They'd both beat Mosley.

Berto/Mosley, who takes it?

Mosley.

Mosley.

Agree. Be interesting to see how good he looks if he does win. I think Mosley will take it but alot of people are straight up writing Berto off which is a mistake against a hungry, undefeated champion.

De La Hoya had a great jab, and Mosley beat him twice. It takes more than just that to beat him - size helps as I said before, Forrest was the only guy I ever saw easily beat Shane and he was 6 ft tall with a massive reach for the weight. He lost twice to Winky Wright who was far bigger than him and awkward as anything, I never saw anyone look good against that guy. The other loss came to Cotto as I said, and that was close - it seems to me that Mosley has re-dedicated himself since that one, think he was going through crap with his wife at the time and lacked belief.

We'll see what happens against Berto I guess, Mosley has always been one of my favourites though so I'm biased.

Â