The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Can I be honest? I don't really think these fights, in which a middle-aged man with a history of violence against women batters men who have never competed in his sport before, for a massive payment, is actually the proudest moment in the sport's history. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can I be honest? I don't really think these fights, in which a middle-aged man with a history of violence against women batters men who have never competed in his sport before, for a massive payment, is actually the proudest moment in the sport's history. 

Meh. Is what it is. The casuals will get their knickers in a twist over it. That was the market this fight was aimed at. You'll hear all sort of nonsense spouted in the next day about how it's a black mark for boxing. Like **** it is. Boxing is unbelievably healthy at the minute. The ufc brigade will jump all over this and what it was. Leave em at it.

It was a ridiculous spectacle.  Fair play if Floyd can get $9m for that kind of gig, it's in the same ballpark as Tyson Fury got for Wilder.  I'd' presume Tenshin got paid very well too, I can't see any other reason he'd  fight a man twice his size with every concession made to the bigger man except for agreeing to have one arm tied behind his back unless the cheque was good.  Floyd almost had a pot belly compared to his usual standards, he must have gone in at his walking round weight. 

4 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It was a ridiculous spectacle.  Fair play if Floyd can get $9m for that kind of gig, it's in the same ballpark as Tyson Fury got for Wilder.  I'd' presume Tenshin got paid very well too, I can't see any other reason he'd  fight a man twice his size with every concession made to the bigger man except for agreeing to have one arm tied behind his back unless the cheque was good.  Floyd almost had a pot belly compared to his usual standards, he must have gone in at his walking round weight. 

I be5 if this was in MMA fight he would have still killed msyweather

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I be5 if this was in MMA fight he would have still killed msyweather

If it was essentially a kickboxing matchup i think the result would still have been the same as he clearly couldn't take Mayweathers power despite him not being particualrly heavy handed at all. If it was full on MMA with ju-jitsu/wrestling involved it would be nigh on impossibe for any boxer as learning to defend against hundreds of potential throws & holds isn't just something you can pick up without hundreds/thousands of hours of practice. The first takedown would be game over.

43 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

If it was essentially a kickboxing matchup i think the result would still have been the same as he clearly couldn't take Mayweathers power despite him not being particualrly heavy handed at all. If it was full on MMA with ju-jitsu/wrestling involved it would be nigh on impossibe for any boxer as learning to defend against hundreds of potential throws & holds isn't just something you can pick up without hundreds/thousands of hours of practice. The first takedown would be game over.

Yep. Exactly why mayweather wont face anyone in mma in a mma match. He knows he would be obliterated. I would have loved do have seen Spence vs mayweather of a few years ago. That would have been a intereating fight. 

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 01:27, Demitri_C said:

The most pathetic fight ever. Mayaeather should be completely embarrassed. I still think this kid will kill mayweathe4 in a MMA fight though.

Why? I bet he's laughing his nuts off (as would I).

Agent: I've had a call, offering €9m for a 1 off 3 round exhibition match against someone you'll wiper the floor with in seconds without even trying".

FM: Nah, not interested as it sounds like it'll be too comfortable for me

:lol: 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why? I bet he's laughing his nuts off (as would I).

Agent: I've had a call, offering €9m for a 1 off 3 round exhibition match against someone you'll wiper the floor with in seconds without even trying".

FM: Nah, not interested as it sounds like it'll be too comfortable for me

:lol: 

True he is about the money. But for me tarnished his career fighting non boxers and bums in his last few fights.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

True he is about the money. But for me tarnished his career fighting non boxers and bums in his last few fights.

He’s made it very clear he’s retired and he’s rightly considered one of the best of all time. This is just marketing/promo work.

Even at 41 he obliterated a 20 year old unbeaten world champion. I don’t personally think it’s done him any harm in any respect. It’s not like someone like Tyson who went on far too long and looked awful but had to because he was broke.

Its actually not a bad fight but has no right being PPV.

I think these 2 will be a good match for each other. De Gale clearly the better boxer but often lazy during his fights. Eubank has a good engine but is pretty brainless and was shown up against Groves who isn't exactly elite level himself. 

Close one that DeGale wins for me.

Â