The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Like I said before easy fight for spence. Garcia is too small against a normal welterweight let alone a big one in spence. Spence wins pretty comfortably and I think it will be a stoppage.

Garcia though is elite and arguably the best opponent in terms of pure talent ( weight aside) that Spence will have faced. I agree with you though that Spence will win but won't be lopsided.

I have rediscovered my enthusiasm for boxing of late - so much so me and my lads went to the Amir Khan fight in Birmingham in September.  (Great Night) - I wonder if anyone could answer the following about that night.

The big screens flashed up a close up on someone in the crowd - and everyone started booing - who was he and why were people booing ? 

10 hours ago, hippo said:

I have rediscovered my enthusiasm for boxing of late - so much so me and my lads went to the Amir Khan fight in Birmingham in September.  (Great Night) - I wonder if anyone could answer the following about that night.

The big screens flashed up a close up on someone in the crowd - and everyone started booing - who was he and why were people booing ? 

Eddie Hearn most likely.  They also boo him when he's been interviewed in the ring after fights.

On 15/11/2018 at 22:44, Johnnyp said:

Garcia though is elite and arguably the best opponent in terms of pure talent ( weight aside) that Spence will have faced. I agree with you though that Spence will win but won't be lopsided.

I think it will be tense early but ultimate Garcia does not have the power to keep Spence particularly honest, Spence will break him down and stop him, Garcia is just too small and Garcia IMO is overrated talent wise anyway. Spence is the better boxer. 

31 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it will be tense early but ultimate Garcia does not have the power to keep Spence particularly honest, Spence will break him down and stop him, Garcia is just too small and Garcia IMO is overrated talent wise anyway. Spence is the better boxer. 

Can't agree mate . Mikey Garcia is a class boxer. He loses this fight because he's not big enough.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Can't agree mate . Mikey Garcia is a class boxer. He loses this fight because he's not big enough.

He has never beaten anyone of particularly high calibre, when you adjust for size, Kell Brook is a superior boxer to anyone Garcia has faced. I think Garcia is good, but overrated ultimately.

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has never beaten anyone of particularly high calibre, when you adjust for size, Kell Brook is a superior boxer to anyone Garcia has faced. I think Garcia is good, but overrated ultimately.

I'll give u that one but take brook out of it and Spence has a cv that's pretty average to be honest. Garcia has a solid if unspectacular cv. Certainly has a few decent names like Easter and Broner. I don't care how small Garcia is in this fight, if Spence bores in without good fundamentals he could get clipped. Garcia got skills.

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Overrated is a bit harsh. I think he's rated just about right. If Garcia stayed at LW and fought lomachenko he would probably be lomachenko's toughest opponent to date. I think Spence beats Garcia but Garcia wins rounds i think. 

It will probably be the winner of Whyte - Chisora if Eddie Hearn has anything to do with it. 😅

Anyone been to the local boxing exhibition in the Museum & Art Gallery? I went earlier, it's quite a small display but they've got some cool photos and Bunny Johnson's Lonsdale Belt. Worth a visit if you are in town. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 21:59, hippo said:

No it was a guy of Asian appearance

Was it Chabuddy G?

I'm actually not taking the piss. I saw he posted on twitter of him being spotted at a boxing match but I can't recall which match it was.

17 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It will probably be the winner of Whyte - Chisora if Eddie Hearn has anything to do with it. 😅

Anyone been to the local boxing exhibition in the Museum & Art Gallery? I went earlier, it's quite a small display but they've got some cool photos and Bunny Johnson's Lonsdale Belt. Worth a visit if you are in town. 

It will be Whyte if he wins but no way Chisora will jump to the top of the queue if he wins

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

It will be Whyte if he wins but no way Chisora will jump to the top of the queue if he wins

I think it will be wilder next. I expect he will ko fury and end his career.

If not I still think andre ward might be a suprise name. That fight would sell big although I would expect AJ to obliterate him.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it will be wilder next. I expect he will ko fury and end his career.

If not I still think andre ward might be a suprise name. That fight would sell big although I would expect AJ to obliterate him.

Not a chance it's Ward. Ok people will say look at Roy Jones, he done it going from light heavyweight to heavyweight but he relied on great hand speed and reflexes to win that fight. Ward fights nothing like Jones. Inside fighting is a big part of Ward's game. He can't fight a HW on the inside as good as he is and i think Andre Ward is the greatest inside fighter I've seen in my lifetime. He'd get beaten up.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Not a chance it's Ward. Ok people will say look at Roy Jones, he done it going from light heavyweight to heavyweight but he relied on great hand speed and reflexes to win that fight. Ward fights nothing like Jones. Inside fighting is a big part of Ward's game. He can't fight a HW on the inside as good as he is and i think Andre Ward is the greatest inside fighter I've seen in my lifetime. He'd get beaten up.

... also as good as Ward was/is, he's no Roy Jones. That said, there's a reason Jones went after the smallest/ weakest heavyweight around, no way would he have ever stepped in with Lewis. Incidentally prior to the Tarver fight it was strongly rumoured he was going to fight Tyson, with the fight pretty much agreed.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

... also as good as Ward was/is, he's no Roy Jones. That said, there's a reason Jones went after the smallest/ weakest heavyweight around, no way would he have ever stepped in with Lewis. Incidentally prior to the Tarver fight it was strongly rumoured he was going to fight Tyson, with the fight pretty much agreed.

Was that pre or post prison? Tyson wpuld have murdered him.

Â