The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Made a statement with that knockout. Took the piss asking the crowd to thank Hearn, liked that, he did that on purpose made Hearn look the knobber he is. In reality I doubt Josh really likes him.

Lol the two get on very well if you watch their interviews on iFL TV on YouTube. AJ was merely playing on the fact the crowd perceive Eddie as some kind of pantomime villain. 

5 minutes ago, Si. said:

On this showing I have no doubt Fury would beat AJ, he would simply outbox him. Poor defence and movement. 

One connection on Fury's chin and it will be lights out. The guy has powder puff punches and AJ would simply walk through him. Povetkin actually could hurt AJ which is why he couldn't just be on the front foot all the time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, West said:

Lol the two get on very well if you watch their interviews on iFL TV on YouTube. AJ was merely playing on the fact the crowd perceive Eddie as some kind of pantomime villain. 

Hmm? He pays his wages, like any manager sometimes you have to blag it.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Hmm? He pays his wages, like any manager sometimes you have to blag it.

His contract with Matchroom is up. He is a big enough star to probably promote himself now if he really thought Eddie was a complete tool. The reality is he has made his career and he'll stick with him for some time yet. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I doubt that chap. Fury is a spoiler, AJ wouldn't put up with that with his power. 

I'm still not sure how I rate AJ's power.  At world heavyweight level he's somewhere above respectable but below phenomenal, right?  He's got an excellent KO percentage but there's still something there which doesn't quite convince me.  I'm not sure there's the ability to end a fight with one punch, it's usually a case of him pouncing on somebody he's rocked and ending it with a combo.  It's proved effective so far, but I do wonder if he'll get caught by the big desperate haymaker when he comes in for the kill at some point.    I think I'd give him the edge in both the Fury and Wilder matchups but  not by much. A prime Fury would give him the runaround, but there's no guarantee we ever see a prime Fury again and Wilder just has that ridiculous punching power. AJ can't go toe to toe with Wilder and win the fight and it seems to me he's somewhat susceptible to an overhand right which is a punch Wilder really does know how to throw.  

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I'm still not sure how I rate AJ's power.  At world heavyweight level he's somewhere above respectable but below phenomenal, right?  He's got an excellent KO percentage but there's still something there which doesn't quite convince me.  I'm not sure there's the ability to end a fight with one punch, it's usually a case of him pouncing on somebody he's rocked and ending it with a combo.  It's proved effective so far, but I do wonder if he'll get caught by the big desperate haymaker when he comes in for the kill at some point.    I think I'd give him the edge in both the Fury and Wilder matchups but  not by much. A prime Fury would give him the runaround, but there's no guarantee we ever see a prime Fury again and Wilder just has that ridiculous punching power. AJ can't go toe to toe with Wilder and win the fight and it seems to me he's somewhat susceptible to an overhand right which is a punch Wilder really does know how to throw.  

Of course he can. Wilders a terrible boxer  with unbelievable power and barring Ortiz has thought no body. Joshua has fought them all. Whyte, breazale, povetkin, klitschiko.  Even Molina who hurt wilder got destroyed by aj. Therefore I do think aj has the power to hurt wilder.

If wilder don't hit an he will lose as an will completely outbox him. Wilders body frame isn't the best either. If aj concentrate on the body shots he will hurt wilder.

Wilder hasn't been down aj experience could be the difference.

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

You're right, he's a hard puncher, but not as hard as Wilder who can wipe you out in one shot. I'd also put Joshua behind Wladimir Klitschko in terms of recent heavyweights. Klitschko could also spark you with one shot but his cautious style minimised that somewhat.

I also expect Wilder to beat him, I've long held the view that Joshua cannot defend the right hand well, especially if it follows a jab or left hook.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

aj looked very ordinary .. i think the fight with klitchko has scared aj..

when aj tried to put klit away he gassed & had nothing left, he nearly got koed as he was just gone, since then aj has fought very plain,i think its played alot on his mind & his team are making the most of his assets so aj wont be gassed again

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Joshua was losing at the time of the stoppage, he looked confused for most of that fight and his power bailed him out. 

Not according to the judges, Glad it didn't go to points as it would have been a disgrace.

All 3 had Joshua well ahead after 6 rounds. 58-56, 58-56 and a frankly rediculous 59-55. Looks like they were all on a nice Christmas bonus from Eddie Hearn

37 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not according to the judges, Glad it didn't go to points as it would have been a disgrace.

All 3 had Joshua well ahead after 6 rounds. 58-56, 58-56 and a frankly rediculous 59-55. Looks like they were all on a nice Christmas bonus from Eddie Hearn

This is another reason I hate Joshua. Strikingly similar to Canelo that sense.

Not sure about Joshua/Wilder. Wilder struggled against Ortiz and nearly got taken out by Molina. 

Joshua has fought much better opponents than Wilder. 

I'm not even sure Wilder beats Fury especially if Fury is southpaw. He had a terrible time against Ortiz.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Not sure about Joshua/Wilder. Wilder struggled against Ortiz and nearly got taken out by Molina. 

Joshua has fought much better opponents than Wilder. 

I'm not even sure Wilder beats Fury especially if Fury is southpaw. He had a terrible time against Ortiz.

Exactly. Wilder has great power thats it. If he comes up against another heavy hitter he will get flattened because his defence is non existent. Molina isn't a powerful punches yet he hurt wilder.  Ortiz is over 40 and he gave wilder massive problems.

If Tyson was around these days he would have murdered wilder inside three. I am not saying Joshua isn't u beatable as we have seen he has been rocked but I think people are rating wilder alot more than he actually is. Fury will be the most intelligent boxer wilders ever faced. 

!I've said before, and I stand by it, a fit and focused Tyson Fury would beat Wilder and I wouldn't count him out ( pun unintended ) against Joshua. He's the most naturally talented and certainly doesn't lack in confidence.

As for last night's fight, I thought it was a decent performance and he showed that one vital asset that all good fighters have, composure. 

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

!I've said before, and I stand by it, a fit and focused Tyson Fury would beat Wilder and I wouldn't count him out ( pun unintended ) against Joshua. He's the most naturally talented and certainly doesn't lack in confidence.

As for last night's fight, I thought it was a decent performance and he showed that one vital asset that all good fighters have, composure. 

I was a little concerned how easily and often Povetkin got through early on

Â