The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree with most of this. I was surprised by the fact triple g was not using body punches. This is something canelo used massively to his advantage. Triple g used the jab effectively but had non existent body shots in this fight. 

I do think triple g is on the end of his career, was hoping he may have win anY then gone on to fight Saunders. I think it’s all setup for a third fight and more money.

canelois lookin* great now. I would much rather watch a rematch with Mayweather than these two going again.

I was with you until this point. Sorry but just no, Mayweather is an old man and would get beaten up, pointless.

Think 115-113 was fair enough. Had Canelo 4-2 up after 6 and then although GGG came strong second half, it was never going to be enough with pro Canelo judges. 

GGG had to demolish him to get the result but Canelo is a tough son of a gun and kept coming forward. 

If there is to be a third I think by the time it happens it will be too late in the day for GGG and we will see a conclusive Canelo victory to put this rivalry to bed.

Edited by West
  • Like 1

Canelo is a cheat and a fraud. I didn't watch this fight last night. Have no interest in him. He is not a legitimate champion.

File him away with the likes of Povetkin. He shouldn't be allowed in the ring after failing two drug tests. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KHV said:

Canelo is a cheat and a fraud. I didn't watch this fight last night. Have no interest in him. He is not a legitimate champion.

File him away with the likes of Povetkin. He shouldn't be allowed in the ring after failing two drug tests. 

Kind of on board with the sentiment, I do think he's extremely good (but not better than a slightly past his prime Golovkin), but beyond the failed drugs tests I hate the sort of 'untouchables' that emerge every now and then in boxing, fighters who appear to be protected in so far as they clearly have judges on their side. Canelo definitely falls into that bracket. There's always 'darker forces' at play whenever Canelo steps into a boxing ring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Kind of on board with the sentiment, I do think he's extremely good (but not better than a slightly past his prime Golovkin), but beyond the failed drugs tests I hate the sort of 'untouchables' that emerge every now and then in boxing, fighters who appear to be protected in so far as they clearly have judges on their side. Canelo definitely falls into that bracket. There's always 'darker forces' at play whenever Canelo steps into a boxing ring. 

Yes this is incredibly annoying and undermines an otherwise great sport. You always felt GGG would have to knock him spark out to win the fight even before a bell had been rung. That's not the way sport should be contested. 

Edited by West

brilliant fight and I scored it 115-113 to GGG, people are screaming that its a fix but I don't agree the fight was extremely close and I can't argue with it going to Canelo, it isn't that it is a blatant robbery (like the first one) just more that it is frustrating because it was blatantly obvious that Canelo was going to get the result.

a few people have mentioned a fight with Mayweather which is absolutely ludicrous, Floyd has never fought at 160, the heaviest he has fought at is 154lbs, add into the fact that Floyd is 40 and Canelo is 28 and in his prime you just can't seriously expect that fight to ever take place and I wouldn't want to see it if it did happen.

Completely agree with the sentiments that Canelo isn't a worthy champion, in my opinion he has lost twice to GGG, add to that the blatant delaying tactics whilst they avoided him and waited around for him to get old, and mainly add to that the whole PEDS situation and the ludicrous (backdated) 6 month ban and all credibility goes out of the window.

• Like 1

It was a tremendous fight. Hats off to both fighters. You couldn't say anyone was a clear cut winner, I just had triple G edging it but wasn't surprised the decision went the other way. I had a feeling if it was close, it would go Canelo's way, especially with the fight being in Las Vegas.

2 hours ago, West said:

Anyone seen the latest BJ Saunders video doing the rounds? What a pathetic human being this guy is. Really do hope he gets in the ring with Golovkin and gets badly hurt. 

Yeah I saw that this morning. WTF?

• Like 1

On 17/09/2018 at 01:11, sheepyvillian said:

I agree , ridiculous comment.

Mayweather won’t get beat up if canelo dropped down @ weight. Mayweather has never been beaten up in a boxing ring. He really gets hit and when he dies it don’t hurt him

Edited by Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Mayweather won’t get beat up if canelo dropped down @ weight. Mayweather has never been beaten up in a boxing ring. He really gets hit and when he dies it don’t hurt him

He's a 41 year old man who has been on the shelf for a long and would be fighting against a 28/29 year old in the absolute prime of his career who is a lot bigger than him, Mayweather would get beaten badly. 

Povetkin looks made for AJ unless he can sit on his chest the entire fight i seriously doubt he will trouble him.

AJ will just pick him apart with the jab and i don't see Povetkin having the agility to close the distance well enough.

Â