The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just can't see Canelo losing on points in Vegas on Mexican independence weekend. GGG needs to annihilate Canelo to win and I'm not sure he has it in him. I'd love to be proven wrong btw. 

39 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I'm looking at the clock thinking it is another 5 hours away & not sure i can be bothered. Might just watch it in the morning.

I'm interested in the undercard as well though, Chocalatito, Spike v Lemmy and Munguia, gunna be a long old night of fighting

Fantastic KO from Roman, the fella he hit just crumpled, unusual to see a KO like that at that weight, pleased for Chocolatito, he doesn't deserve to be fighting on undercards in empty arenas, regardless of the KO I think everyone agrees that he looked better at the lower weight, just a shame that the money isn't there

Spike was in trouble as soon as the bell rang, I messaged my mate and said that Spike will need to stay on his bike from the start, Lemmy just looked huge in comparison to him, Lemmy has a massive dig on him though and he sent Spike to queer street, no complaints from him when the referee stopped it

Munguia fight was a massive mismatch, Cook did well to last as long as he did, ref was close to stopping it at the end of the first round, Munguia is definitely one to watch, looks massive at the weight as well

Hands not even taped yet, Still going to be a while despite the early finishes on the undercard.

By the time they actually start after the ringwalks & anthems it will have been nearly 2 hours since the last fight on the card, Can't believe they have no floaters ready for something like this. Shit organisation.

Edited by LakotaDakota

DnMEl--W4AwP13X.jpg:large

2 Judges scoring the final round for Canelo clinched it or it would have been 114-114 all round.

Interesting that they all had identical scores for rounds 1-6 and the totals ended up the same after 10 rounds despite some big variances in scoring in rounds 7-9

Edited by LakotaDakota

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

'CompuBox is just a couple of guys pressing keys, not that reliable. Golovkin landed more power shots than that.

I disagree golovkin was not the clear winner. I had it as a draw or triple g just edging. But canelo was excellent last night. It really could havw gone either way it was that close 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree golovkin was not the clear winner. I had it as a draw or triple g just edging. But canelo was excellent last night. It really could havw gone either way it was that close 

I thought Golovkin outlanded Canelo in the vast majority of the rounds, controlling with his jab and matching him for quality in terms of power shots. Canelo did box very well though but didn't do enough and especially didn't do enough in terms of taking belts from a long reigning champion. Clear to me that Canelo is a marked man who will always get the benefit of the doubt on the cards, we've seen this in the Trout, Lara and two Golovkin fights now.

Admittedly, where Golovkin didn't help himself is in at least two areas, one boxing off the back foot too much, he's A class at cutting the ring off but barely displayed that, as though by strategy rather than anything Canelo did. Second is not investing to the body, curiously something he didn't do in the first fight and fight with Jacobs. He's an excellent body puncher so why not deploy it against Canelo, someone who has had issues with his gas tank in the past. It's dumb on Golovkin and Abel Sanchez' behalf.

This is close to the end of the road for Golovkin regardless, he's 37 soon and is starting to look old. His physique isn't the same and he did look tired down the stretch. Golden Boy's strategy of delaying the first two fights has arguably paid off, they waited for Golovkin to move out of his prime and Canelo to move into his. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Admittedly, where Golovkin didn't help himself is in at least two areas, one boxing off the back foot too much, he's A class at cutting the ring off but barely displayed that, as though by strategy rather than anything Canelo did. Second is not investing to the body, curiously something he didn't do in the first fight and fight with Jacobs. He's an excellent body puncher so why not deploy it against Canelo, someone who has had issues with his gas tank in the past. It's dumb on Golovkin and Abel Sanchez' behalf.

This is close to the end of the road for Golovkin regardless, he's 37 soon and is starting to look old. His physique isn't the same and he did look tired down the stretch. Golden Boy's strategy of delaying the first two fights has arguably paid off, they waited for Golovkin to move out of his prime and Canelo to move into his. 

I agree with most of this. I was surprised by the fact triple g was not using body punches. This is something canelo used massively to his advantage. Triple g used the jab effectively but had non existent body shots in this fight. 

I do think triple g is on the end of his career, was hoping he may have win anY then gone on to fight Saunders. I think it’s all setup for a third fight and more money.

canelois lookin* great now. I would much rather watch a rematch with Mayweather than these two going again.

Â