The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

On 18/08/2018 at 21:24, mikeyp102 said:

The entourage of Fury is ridiculous. 

Fury will win this I think. Looks a lot fitter than he has for a long time

For such a big man Tyson has weedy legs.

It will be interesting to see the entourage when he fights in the states, Not to stereotype but there are quite a few convictions in that family that may well prevent them gaining entry 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Based on what? He's been dropped twice by very light punchers (Nevan Pajkic and Steve Cunningham). I honestly don't think he has that much of a chin to be honest. If the fight goes the distance it would be because Wilder has not been effective with his power punches and means he'd most likely lose. 

He’s a man mountain, and they don’t go down that often in my (fairly limited) experience.

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes but he is in it for the money. If he was serious about this fight he would have fought either whyte-chisora-bellew

He wants one final pay day. Joshua would beat him and wilder will beat him. But i think he stands a better chance of beating wilder on points as he is a terrible boxer.

If wilder doesn't land and its a big if fury can totally out box him. For a big guy its surprising how weak fury is at punching 

If Fury is in the zone, then IMO , he will box the head off Wilder. Who has Wilder really fought ? Ortiz, who gave him all sorts of problems, and he ain't nothing special. Too many too quick to write Fury off, he won't fear Wilder one bit, the big man oozes confidence, trust me, DC, it's no formality.

23 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If Fury is in the zone, then IMO , he will box the head off Wilder. Who has Wilder really fought ? Ortiz, who gave him all sorts of problems, and he ain't nothing special. Too many too quick to write Fury off, he won't fear Wilder one bit, the big man oozes confidence, trust me, DC, it's no formality.

Wilder's right hand is too fast, too sharp and too powerful for him, it's not a matter if it's a matter of 'when' it connects and when it does it's over. Fury's tools simply aren't sharp enough right now and even if they were I don't fancy him to have a good defence against the Wilder right, it's a punch that has dropped him before and wasn't delivered with the speed or power Wilder can muster.

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wilder's right hand is too fast, too sharp and too powerful for him, it's not a matter if it's a matter of 'when' it connects and when it does it's over. Fury's tools simply aren't sharp enough right now and even if they were I don't fancy him to have a good defence against the Wilder right, it's a punch that has dropped him before and wasn't delivered with the speed or power Wilder can muster.

Was a long time ago though those fights. Fury has come a long way since then. I don't think it's going to be easy for wilder as he thinks.

If fury had a more powerful punch he would win this comfortably. But that's why i think he will lose

53 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Who has Fury fought? His résumé is diabolical minus Vlad. 

Edited by West
  • Like 1

Fury beat Chisora twice ,with ease, may I add. I think Wilder has been hyped to bits, he hasn't the boxing IQ of Fury, and whilst he may Carry a bomb of a right hand, I'm quite confident Fury has the skill set to negate that weapon. He's savvy and can be very, very elusive, there's always the possibility he gets careless, but like I said, if he's  focused , I can see him bewildering Wilder. I'm in the Brits corner for this one. I'm not always enamoured with the way Fury conducts himself out of the ring, but it's hard to fault his conduct inside those ropes.

I may end up with egg on my chin, won't be the first time, but we'll see.

10 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

It will be interesting to see the entourage when he fights in the states, Not to stereotype but there are quite a few convictions in that family that may well prevent them gaining entry 

That's not a stereotype, it's s fact. If Max McCracken can't get a visa, then , trust me, Peter and John Fury haven't got a Charles Dance.

21 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's not a stereotype, it's s fact. If Max McCracken can't get a visa, then , trust me, Peter and John Fury haven't got a Charles Dance.

Yep, If you have industrial scale drug trafficker & Ripping out someones eye with your bare hands on your CV it's kinda hard to take the kids to disneyland. Ricky Hatton has also previously been refused entry and that was before he was breaking peoples jaws during pissed up bar fights in tenerife. Doubt they will take Fury himself telling everyone he's done loads of cocaine too lightly either and he may get a rather friendly search as a result although he does genuinely seem to be pretty normal & mostly law-abiding (bar recreational drug use) outside of the ring when the cameras are off.

Edited by LakotaDakota

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yep, If you have industrial scale drug trafficker & Ripping out someones eye with your bare hands on your CV it's kinda hard to take the kids to disneyland. Ricky Hatton has also previously been refused entry and that was before he was breaking peoples jaws during pissed up bar fights in tenerife. Doubt they will take Fury himself telling everyone he's done loads of cocaine too lightly either and he may get a rather too friendly search as a result although he does genuinely seem to be pretty normal outside of the ring.

I gotta say, there seems to be a really nasty side to John Fury, just his nature in general. His reaction to Hughie Fury's failed World title bid was shocking.

• Like 1

Not sure Fury in Vegas without his friends & family is a good idea. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he pulls out injured sometime in October and Wilder ends up fighting Ortiz again or Dillian Whyte.

If Whyte won obviously that would set up the Joshua rematch for all the belts in May but if he loses i think Hearn would actually fancy giving Fury that slot as without serious KO power it should be a relatively safe fight for Joshua.  Fury could probably even squeeze in a quick warm-up in Jan if he wanted another few rounds.

AJ has looked very wary of getting hit since the klitschko fight after seeing his future legacy/earnings flash before his eyes when he was getting battered in the 6th/7th and i genuinely think that for all the bravado he & Hearn are sat there hoping someone can beat Wilder so he doesn't have to fight him. Not really sure they would want that someone to be Dillian Whyte but hey ho i guess.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

If the fight goes 12 rounds providing Fury hasn't been knocked down he has a good chance of winning on points.

However, I just can't see Fury evading Wilder's best shots for 12 rounds and eventually Wilder will KO Fury IMO.

Certainly one to look forward to.

ClumsyMaleHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.

8 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

If the fight goes 12 rounds providing Fury hasn't been knocked down he has a good chance of winning on points.

However, I just can't see Fury evading Wilder's best shots for 12 rounds and eventually Wilder will KO Fury IMO.

Certainly one to look forward to.

ClumsyMaleHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.

I love how people talk about how Wilder only 'windmills' his punches but here's a beautiful short right hand!

• Like 1

I would argue wilder doesn't havw a great chin either. Ortiz hurt him. Hell even Molina hurt wilder. I dint think fury will but AJ certainly has the power to.

The winner of the fury wilder fight will fight an if he gets past povetkin next year for huge money.

I thought this was interesting.  I'm no boxologist (as evidenced by my reticence in this thread), but I am a fan from afar, and who doesn't like a list?

Click for full list.

With the 'season' over, we have asked The Panel to rank their pound-for-pound favourites. There is no Floyd Mayweather or Andre Ward to turn to, so who is the new No 1 and who is in the new chasing pack? Johnny Nelson is the first under the spotlight...

1 - Gennady Golovkin (38-0-1-KO34)

skysports-boxing-gennady-golovkin_430217

He might not be on the way up like some fighters on this list but he deserves to be No 1. He is unbeatable, he just keeps fighting, stays active - unlike some of the others - and against a very good 'Canelo', just showed his ring awareness and smartness.

Â