The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

19 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Wilder will KO fury IMO. There is only so long he can run for and it only needs one of those wild windmills to connect and it is all over!

Fury has only been down once in his career against Cunningham at cruiserweight. No one has knocked him down at heavyweight.

Wilder has to hit him and he has is a terrible boxer. Fury is a much smarter boxer than wilder.

As I recall the fight with Cunningham was at heavyweight and Fury got knocked down by Cunningham despite being about 3 stone heavier than him.

I admire Fury's boxing abilty and hope he wins the fight and yes he is the better boxer however I just don't think he will be able to take the bombs that Wilder throws. It just needs one to land and it is all over!

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

As I recall the fight with Cunningham was at heavyweight and Fury got knocked down by Cunningham despite being about 3 stone heavier than him.

I admire Fury's boxing abilty and hope he wins the fight and yes he is the better boxer however I just don't think he will be able to take the bombs that Wilder throws. It just needs one to land and it is all over!

yep it was at heavyweight but Cunningham only weighed in at 210 (15 stone), 10lbs more than the cruiserweight limit. Fury weighed in over 3 stone heavier at 254 (18 stone 1)

Pajkic was also nearly 2 stone lighter than Fury when he knocked him on his arse (232 Vs 257 lbs)

Fury is better at getting out of the way now but both times he has been down were as a result of an almost identical big overhand right. Wilder is quite good at those...

Edited by LakotaDakota

On 05/08/2018 at 11:59, sheepyvillian said:

What an enjoyment it was, seeing Kovolov getting destroyed by Alvarez. Just when it looked like Kovolov was taking over the fight. Clinical finish.

Kovalev is very good, but has always been fragile, it wasn't Ward who exposed this, but Darnell Boone in their first fight. He doesn't absorb punishment that well, whether to the body or head and doesn't like to be attacked. We can just about stick a fork in him at this stage and age.

On 06/08/2018 at 21:45, Brumstopdogs said:

Wilder will KO fury IMO. There is only so long he can run for and it only needs one of those wild windmills to connect and it is all over!

Wilder executes short straight right hands and uppercuts with lots of power, not just windmills. I agree he knocks Fury out, Fury has a poor chin and Wilder will find the one opportunity he needs to land.

On 07/08/2018 at 17:23, Demitri_C said:

Fury has only been down once in his career against Cunningham at cruiserweight. No one has knocked him down at heavyweight.

Wilder has to hit him and he has is a terrible boxer. Fury is a much smarter boxer than wilder.

I'll go with that opinion.

On 07/08/2018 at 17:23, Demitri_C said:

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried mate.

Firstly, the Fury vs Cunningham fight was at heavyweight. Go and check the info on boxrec and logically, do you really think someone of Fury's height and dimensions can boil himself down to 200lbs or (slightly) less LOL. Cunningham is a total nonpuncher at cruiserweight so that knockdown sends alarm bells rining.

Secondly Fury was dropped by a journey man called Nevan Pajkic and it was a very clean and pretty damn heavy knockdown.  Pajkic again a non puncher, so again another insight into the Fury chin.

Both of these knockdowns were from looping right hands, so it indicates that there's a bit of a weakness to that punch. Fury is definitely a better boxer than Wilder but Wilder will stop him as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

Looks like Wilder Fury is definitely on presuming Fury wins this weekend. Shelly Finkel has confirmed it is agreed for Nov/Dec but they haven't settled on NY/Vegas yet.

I'm in the states for half of November so if it's around the same time & in New York i might make a detour for the weekend

Lots of shouting & screaming but it is all a bit panto, Expect a staredown & some shoving in the ring after the fight.

Edited by LakotaDakota

The altercation between Wilder and John Fury at the weigh in seemed a staged to me, they clearly were seen shacking hands before that nonsense.

I don't know if anyone seen the lovely gesture from Wilder who went out of his way to speak to some young kid in a wheelchair, obviously it won't get spoken about because it doesn't fit the narrative, whatever, he's certainly gone up in my estimation.

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The altercation between Wilder and John Fury at the weigh in seemed a staged to me, they clearly were seen shacking hands before that nonsense.

I don't know if anyone seen the lovely gesture from Wilder who went out of his way to speak to some young kid in a wheelchair, obviously it won't get spoken about because it doesn't fit the narrative, whatever, he's certainly gone up in my estimation.

Definite freakshow mate. It was so poorly done it was embarassing. Yoyr shaking hands then two seconds later they screaming over nothing. 

Fury should beat this nobody tonight. Surely he will have one more fight though before wilder? He needs to fight a real fighter before he gets in there with wilder.

Like whyte/chisora/bellew

Â