The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Inoue is one of the best pound for pound boxers in the world. Forgot this was on.

So did I. Certainly exposed McDonnell's limits.

Something frighteningly clinical about some of these Japanese boxers.

Managed to catch all 2 minutes of it on You Tube.

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Never heard of this Inoue but he did seem to carry some serious power for his size though.

I think he's now a 3 weight world champ (for what's that worth given there's 4 titles per division). He first came to my attention in 2014 when he destroyed a very good flyweight called Omar Navaez. His career hasn't necessarily moved as fast as I'd wanted, he was earmarked to fight Roman Gonzalez but ultimately grew out of super flyweight. Some absolutely great fights out there for him at bantamweight, such as Ryan Burnett and Zoltan Tete, I'd fully expect him to beat both but Tete's dimensions would cause him a lot of issues.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2018 at 22:12, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

MTK Global formerly MGM Marbella, founded by formerly popular middleweight Matthew Macklin and Daniel Kinahan, who along with his father allegedly runs one of the largest drug operations in Europe. The Kinahans have been involved in a particularly bloody feud in Dublin with the Hutch family.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–18_Irish_gangland_feud

One shooting occurred at an MTK weigh in and there has been attempts at other boxing events so it is no longer safe to have any professional boxing promotions in Ireland when MTK are involved.

MTK have recently been bought out by MTK trainer Danny Vaughan's (himself a convicted fraudster) wife Sandra Vaughan. Daniel Kinahan is still manager to a lot of the boxers.

They have decided to boycott the Irish media despite the Irish media going very easy on them all things considering:

https://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/boxing-management-company-with-29-irish-fighters-announces-boycott-of-irish-media-149590

All MTK boxers have stupid MTK fairnews# logos on their twitter profiles now.

An innocent 50 year old man shot dead yesterday morning in Bray at a boxercise class. Pete Taylor, trainer of 4 MTK fighters and father of Katie Taylor was the apparent target and was also shot along with another innocent man who was shot in the legs. Not one MTK fighter has wished Pete Taylor well in his recovery.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/pete-taylor-was-target-of-gun-attack-in-bray-gym-say-gardaí-1.3520590

Boxing trainer Pete Taylor was the target of the gunman who walked into his gym wounding three people, one fatally, gardaí believe.

Married father of three Bobby Messett was killed when he was working out in Bray Boxing Club, Co Wicklow, where the gunman opened fire early on Tuesday.

Mr Messett (50), who was shot in the head, was a sports fanatic. He was at a boot camp-style class at the gym when the shooting occurred. He was a member of Bray Wheelers Cycling Club; his last competitive race took place last week. He was also a boxer and took part in adventure racing.

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That's a intersting one for me. I think Parker will win that.

It's a real pick 'em fight. Fair play to both for taking it - much easier fights around. Both very durable so would expect it to go the distance. Parker has the speed and footwork to frustrate Whyte if he can't get the big shots off but I hope Whyte wins as he is a good character and has the potential to make some good fights with the big boys in the division. 

41 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I really do not rate Whyte. Parker will beat him.

I am the other way around, Think Whyte may actually stop him too & if he fights AJ again i think he would beat him this time around going in a bit calmer than last time. The original loss & subsequent was with Chisora seems to have done Whyte the world of good, especially with the public as most people seem to actually like him now rather than thinking he was a complete cock a couple of years back.

20 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I am the other way around, Think Whyte may actually stop him too & if he fights AJ again i think he would beat him this time around going in a bit calmer than last time. The original loss & subsequent was with Chisora seems to have done Whyte the world of good, especially with the public as most people seem to actually like him now rather than thinking he was a complete cock a couple of years back.

I just don't see it, that Chisora fight was a massive red flag as well as the Helenius fight, didn't impress and failed to put him away. He has sloppy technique and not a lot of power for the weight. An impressive KO over an ancient and obese Lucas Brown is clouding a lot of peoples judgement IMO.

You have to remember Whyte has little to no amateur pedigree so if he overturns someone like Parker who has that background, you will have to take your hat off to him and say he deserves to be moving up the ranks. 

42 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The Fury (Tyson) fight looks a joke, nearly 5 stone heavier and a foot taller

It's a good job Fury isn't massively heavy handed or i would fear for Seferi, Terrible fight really but i guess he has to fight someone after a long lay off although it is not like he has ever really been prolific. Since Christmas 2012 he has only had 5 fights but 2 1/2 years out and living the "Ricky Hatton Just how fat is it possible to get between fights" lifestyle isn't going to do him any good in the long run.

He looks in great shape to be fair but if this fight isn't over inside 4 rounds it will not bode well for the bigger fights possibly to come.

As much as he appears to be a giant bellend i bumped into him at a show last year and he was very pleasant and spent ages taking photos & signing stuff for people when he really didn't have to. I am a big bloke at 6'3 and about 17 stone but jesus he made me look like Mo Farah stood next to him so perhaps seferi isn't quite as small as he appears in the photos, Just Fury being bloody gigantic emphasizes the size difference even more.

wouldn't be surprised to see him out again in July/August and maybe try for 3/4 fights in total before xmas and have a proper fight against a good heavyweight early next year. Remember Foreman coming back years ago and cramming in 10 bumfights in a year before stepping things up a level.

• Like 2

What time is the Fury fight due to start? I’m gonna flick over for it but don’t want to miss it. I can’t see it going much further than round 2.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

What time is the Fury fight due to start? I’m gonna flick over for it but don’t want to miss it. I can’t see it going much further than round 2.

Should be somewhere between 10-10.30. It is actually on after the "main event" of Flanagan/Hooker

• Like 1

Â