The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

5 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Well yeah, if Fury jumped in the ring right now he could lose to anyone but if he gets a couple of tuneups under his belt I would still back him to beat anyone in the division. Time is still very much on his side.

I'm not so sure. Permanent damage may have been done. Time will tell, but I would be surprised if he's the same fighter. I expect his speed and reflexes to have declined.

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not so sure. Permanent damage may have been done. Time will tell, but I would be surprised if he's the same fighter. I expect his speed and reflexes to have declined.

Maybe but if it hasn't he can cause wilder and Joshua problems if he can get back to his best.

I still maintain though wilder vs Joshua is too tough to call. One of the most "it could go either way" fights.

I think AJ should have one fight in the states before wilder. Maybe against pulev get his name out there before he fights ovee there.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One of those defeats Lewis was clearly unwell you could see it.  But rematch Lewis humilated him.

Fury has no chin though wilder would absolutely knock him out with that right hand. Fury is a smarter boxer than wilder though.

Id love to see that fight 

Wilder would struggle to hit Fury in a phone box . As for Fury being chinny, I've only ever seen on the floor once, and he seemed more embarrassed than dazed. When Fury is in the zone, he's a nightmare for any heavyweight

On 03/03/2018 at 19:25, Xela said:

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Can't think of anyone in the division that beats Fury to be honest.

The look of disgust you get from people when you casually mention that Fury would school Joshua is priceless.

It's like the whole Frank Bruno thing again. Joshua has become the darling of the nation, and no one will have a bad word about him. That's why Lennox didn't get the recognition he deserved, in this country. They thought he was trying to steal Frank's thunder. Incidentally, I thought Bruno's best ever performance was in his defeat to Lewis, his jab was a thing of beauty that night, just a shame his punch resistance didn't match.

49 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Wilder would struggle to hit Fury in a phone box . As for Fury being chinny, I've only ever seen on the floor once, and he seemed more embarrassed than dazed. When Fury is in the zone, he's a nightmare for any heavyweight

As much as I’m not a fan of wilder I don’t see how you can say that when he has hit every opponent he has faced and ko ed them all. Even a skilful fighter like Ortiz couldn’t avoid that swing.

i think fury could beat him on points by his unorthodox style and clearly a more intelligent boxer than wilder 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

As much as I’m not a fan of wilder I don’t see how you can say that when he has hit every opponent he has faced and ko ed them all. Even a skilful fighter like Ortiz couldn’t avoid that swing.

i think fury could beat him on points by his unorthodox style and clearly a more intelligent boxer than wilder 

Mike Tyson was knocking everyone out until he met James Tillis, who nullified his power with his defensive boxing skills. Same with Ali, when he beat Foreman, no matter how hard the punch, if it doesn't land cleanly it's not going to have the desired effect. At the very top, you need more than just a big punch. I think Parker could turn out to be more effective than Wilder when it comes to giving Joshua problems. We'll have to wait and see.

Edited by sheepyvillian

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's like the whole Frank Bruno thing again. Joshua has become the darling of the nation, and no one will have a bad word about him. That's why Lennox didn't get the recognition he deserved, in this country. They thought he was trying to steal Frank's thunder. 

I think Lennox really suffered from boxing disappearing from terrestrial TV screens at a time where Sky wasn't a big thing - Bruno vs Tyson I think was on the BBC, but shortly afterwards, boxing pretty much disappeared for a decade - there were no streams, no youtube, you either had Sky or you didn't and at that time, most people didn't. Boxing was particularly badly affected and Lennox was one of those who suffered most.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Lennox really suffered from boxing disappearing from terrestrial TV screens at a time where Sky wasn't a big thing - Bruno vs Tyson I think was on the BBC, but shortly afterwards, boxing pretty much disappeared for a decade - there were no streams, no youtube, you either had Sky or you didn't and at that time, most people didn't. Boxing was particularly badly affected and Lennox was one of those who suffered most.

My point with Lennox was that he never really endeared himself to the British public in the way Bruno did. Exposure, or lack of it probably played some part also the trans - Atlantic accent coupled with the fact he represented Canada at the Olympic games, you know how touchy the  British can be in regard to such things. For all the talent Lewis possessed, and their was plenty, he at times could come across as quite dull, especially in comparison to dear old Frank, hence the Uncle Tom insult he fired at Bruno in the build up to their fight, which I thought was a very spiteful insult, it certainly fired Frank up as it would any self - respecting black man. I think Lewis was quite envious of the love Frank got, understandably so, IMO .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Rahman fight was on BBC though, worked out well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Physical damage or mental ?

Physical, his lifestyle, which included heavy alcohol abuse, cocaine abuse and blowing himself up to the point of obesity will most likely diminish things like his reflexes and speed. I fully expect a slower Fury.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

My point with Lennox was that he never really endeared himself to the British public in the way Bruno did. Exposure, or lack of it probably played some part also the trans - Atlantic accent coupled with the fact he represented Canada at the Olympic games, you know how touchy the  British can be in regard to such things.

I think you're right in that the accent and the partly Canadian feeling didn't play well with the British public, but I think when boxing largely disappeared from our screens, it had a huge impact. I like boxing, I've always liked boxing - I never saw a Lennox Lewis fight live - most of the Lewis fights I've seen have been since he retired on youtube. I think Sky taking boxing away from the British public made a massive impact.

30 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Physical, his lifestyle, which included heavy alcohol abuse, cocaine abuse and blowing himself up to the point of obesity will most likely diminish things like his reflexes and speed. I fully expect a slower Fury.

Without those assets, he may as well call it a day, his comeback fight Will be interesting. I think he'll be good enough to beat most heavyweights, whether he can climb to the very top is another thing entirely. I'm not a great fan of his style tbh, but it gets the job done, as Klitschko found to his cost, but as a spectacle that fight was ugly. The one thing he does have, in abundance, is character ,which can be a great asset in a sport like boxing. He can certainly sell a fight, hence the demand for him to fight Joshua, who,  I think he beats .

I hope the fire is still burning. Time will tell.

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you're right in that the accent and the partly Canadian feeling didn't play well with the British public, but I think when boxing largely disappeared from our screens, it had a huge impact. I like boxing, I've always liked boxing - I never saw a Lennox Lewis fight live - most of the Lewis fights I've seen have been since he retired on youtube. I think Sky taking boxing away from the British public made a massive impact.

It didn't deter Nas or restrict his popularity.

Â