The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Wilder comes in light at 214lbs, he's usually 216lbs-220lbs, so clearly going for speed and movement. Amazing that he's so light for a heavyweight in general given that he's also extremely tall and long limbed, his body fat is low but he doesn't exactly have a lot of muscle mass in comparison with other heavyweights. Such a strange athlete. 

Totally forgot that Kovalev was fighting later as well, not so bothered about that fight but really interested in the Bivol vs Barrera fight on the undercard. Bivol looks a like a potential star at the weight and we will find out since Barrera is a very solid contender level light-heavy.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Is this a straight forward Wilder win?

I would imagine so, the old man is better than any of Wilders other opponents but I can't see an upset.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Totally forgot that Kovalev was fighting later as well, not so bothered about that fight but really interested in the Bivol vs Barrera fight on the undercard. Bivol looks a like a potential star at the weight and we will find out since Barrera is a very solid contender level light-heavy.

Yeah Kovs fight is just part of his rebuilding process but Barrera will be a good test for Bivol, I've had a bet on that one going the distance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Is this a straight forward Wilder win?

I think Ortiz is being massively overrated, he's very old and he looks badly out of shape, no coincidence now he's no longer on the PEDs, having been caught twice in the past couple of years. I think those rating Ortiz better watch his fight with David Allen, he looked really bad. Ortiz can only fight off the back foot where he can admittedly counter very well, however Wilder's weight suggests he's looking for speed, he's a great athlete with a good jab, he will move around the outside and pot shot with that right hand of his, Ortiz's lack of headmovement and slow upper body movement means he'll get clipped with it fairly regularly IMO.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I would imagine so, the old man is better than any of Wilders other opponents but I can't see an upset.

Yeah Kovs fight is just part of his rebuilding process but Barrera will be a good test for Bivol, I've had a bet on that one going the distance.

It's good call, Barrera defends well and has a very good jab, he's also probably physically stronger than Bivol. Bivol as a lot better offensively, he's very fluid and very light on his feet, reminds a bit of Pirog. 

If Ortiz has any hope of winning this he has to go body shots and stay close and wait for wilder to do one of his crazy swings and then hit him as his defence is non existent.

this is why I think Joshua will beat him because wilders defence is terrible. He just has incredible power

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If Ortiz has any hope of winning this he has to go body shots and stay close and wait for wilder to do one of his crazy swings and then hit him as his defence is non existent.

this is why I think Joshua will beat him because wilders defence is terrible. He just has incredible power

Yes but Wilder isn't stupid, he has considerable footspeed advantages over Joshua so Joshua will have to get in on him for him to do that damage. Wilder is perfectly comfortable moving on the outside and popping a jab, and his jab is pretty good, he uses this punch to set up the right hand as well, which he throws from range. I honestly think the styles clash between Joshua and Wilder favours Wilder slightly.

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes but Wilder isn't stupid, he has considerable footspeed advantages over Joshua so Joshua will have to get in on him for him to do that damage. Wilder is perfectly comfortable moving on the outside and popping a jab, and his jab is pretty good, he uses this punch to set up the right hand as well, which he throws from range. I honestly think the styles clash between Joshua and Wilder favours Wilder slightly.

Along with the jab he also has the slight reach advantage as well, it doesn't sound a lot but Wilder seems to have a very long jab.

I felt really bad for the White Rhino earlier, 1st round and his eye was split wide open from a clash of heads, he looked in better shape than I've ever seen him as well, real shame that was

Yeah, it was just a tune up fight. Rabchenko was blocking shots with his face, it was never going to last long. I still think Brook gets another run at the top of the division, he's still a contender. No disgrace in losing to GGG or Spence. 

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I think he gets destroyed by any of the top players in the super welterweight division.

Charlo would tear him a new one.

We'll know how good Charlo really is when he fight's someone like Brook, because , aside from the two losses, there's no denying Brook is a very good boxer,and he ain't the sort of fighter who gets quickly blown away.

Gamal Yafai found out there are levels to boxing. I thought Gavin McDonnell was class tonight. Some beautiful, subtle, boxing, the jab,  at times, was so dominant, and everything came behind it, especially the subtle work to the body, which became the undoing of Yafai, who seemed, at times,  a little overwhelmed by the ring craft of McDonnell. Hopefully he'll come again, those kind of fights either make or break you, time will tell.

• Like 1

Wilder was totally unimpressive for me. Got a lucky punch in my opinion. Ortiz was very impressive and made a mistake in the 10th should have not left him self open like that

Edited by Demitri_C

Have only seen the seconds leading up to the knockout and admittedly no boxing aficionado but Wilder looked to have no 'style' and relied on clubbing Ortiz like in a school playground fight. 

They weren't the type of punches I was expecting to see coming from a world belt holder.

I'd still be worried about him actually beating Joshua though as he certainly has a rage (but looks uncontrolled) 

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Have only seen the seconds leading up to the knockout and admittedly no boxing aficionado but Wilder looked to have no 'style' and relied on clubbing Ortiz like in a school playground fight. 

They weren't the type of punches I was expecting to see coming from a world belt holder.

I'd still be worried about him actually beating Joshua though as he certainly has a rage (but looks uncontrolled) 

After watching again he did what he does rely on his brutal strength. It was a good punch on the inside but ortiz although he rocked  wilder didnt have the power to hurt wilder. He should have just been abit more negative instead of leaving himself open in the tenth as he was winning with ease.

For me Joshua can ko him without question. But i think wilder can hurt Joshua too. Joshua arms are gigantic. It won't be easy for wilder to swing like he does if joshua gets his defence right.

I noticed the body shots were hurting wilder and I think with Joshua power he can hurt him and turn that in his favour.

Joshua if he gets past Parker needs to fight wilder next.

I actually think fury could cause wilder a lot of problems with his awkward style. 

• Like 1

"Lucky punch" LOL, it was a beautiful right hand counter off the ropes that set it up. What a great fight that was. Ortiz was better than I thought, I didn't think his hand speed would be as obvious against a fast, elusive guy like Wilder but it was. Wilder will learn a lot from this, he certainly passed a chin check against a good heavyweight as he took a lot of punishment but didn't go down.

I still stand by my prediction that Wilder will beat Joshua, yes Wilder didn't bother reading boxing 101, but he has fight ending power that is very much live at any point in the fight (to say he "can hurt" Joshua is an understatement, he can put Joshua to sleep if he lands flush), he has great athleticism which allows him to be elusive on the outside and a good jab, he just needs to deploy the jab a bit better at times. Joshua is no where near as good as Ortiz at counter punching and it was that which made Wilder keep his hands home and be hesitant. 

One thing I have point out is that there was a disgusting fix in place via Al Haymon/ PBC. A couple of things, at the start of round 8 where Wilder was badly hurt, the ref inexplicably gave Wilder a time out to see the doctor, he was then after ordered to a neutral corner, giving him like another 10 seconds rest when he was badly hurt, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Also, Wilder was up on all judges cards going into the 10th round, I say bullshit, he was down by at least 2-3 points on any sane card. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I think he gets destroyed by any of the top players in the super welterweight division.

Charlo would tear him a new one.

I don't. It's a thin division. Jermell Charlo really isn't that good as far as I'm concerned (his brother Jermall at middleweight now is a lot better), Brook is better skilled and has more power, Lara is a hard fight for anyone but he is chinny and getting old, Jarrett Hurd might be the one to give him the most problems, he is tough, hits hard and has impressed me a lot more than Charlo, so lets see how he gets on with Lara next month. 

If Brook wants an easy title he'd go after Sadam Ali's WBO belt, he'd absolutely destroy Ali. I honestly think Brook can unify at 154.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â