The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Did anyone watch the Yarde card on BoxNation last night?

Clarke v Barret was a cracking scrap, Clarke just went balls to the wall and got the upset.

DDD didn't look great against a bigger man who just came to hold and spoil, it only went three rounds but DDD looked sluggish to me, I know its difficult to match the heavyweights and DDD is definitely still learning but he needs someone that is going to give him a bit of a challenge.

Yarde doesn't impress me, he's 26 and time isn't on his side, the lack of amateur experience is holding him back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Did anyone watch the Yarde card on BoxNation last night?

Clarke v Barret was a cracking scrap, Clarke just went balls to the wall and got the upset.

DDD didn't look great against a bigger man who just came to hold and spoil, it only went three rounds but DDD looked sluggish to me, I know its difficult to match the heavyweights and DDD is definitely still learning but he needs someone that is going to give him a bit of a challenge.

Yarde doesn't impress me, he's 26 and time isn't on his side, the lack of amateur experience is holding him back.

He's going to struggle against someone who boxes and moves, he certainly has power and some explosive speed, but ultimately would be very surprised if he ever wins a title. Light Heavyweight has some very good boxers in it with Kovalev, Bivol, Beterbiev, Gvozdyk and now Badou Jack, Yarde doesn't come close to beating any of them.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Whats everyone predictions for Ortiz vs Wilder. This one is a intriguing one this weekend. Wont be a bum like the rest he has had fights with. Ortiz can box and if Wilder gets reckless with his singing punches Ortiz might get a opening. But  I think Ortiz will be stopped late on. That is my predication. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wilder by KO, Ortiz too slow and stiff up top, no head or upper body movement, he'll get clipped on the regular.

He can take  a hit though. He also has the power to hurt wilder. But does look slow 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He can take  a hit though. He also has the power to hurt wilder. But does look slow 

I've not seen him take a big punch, I don't think anyone can hold Wilder's power too long. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

On 25/02/2018 at 12:07, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's going to struggle against someone who boxes and moves, he certainly has power and some explosive speed, but ultimately would be very surprised if he ever wins a title. Light Heavyweight has some very good boxers in it with Kovalev, Bivol, Beterbiev, Gvozdyk and now Badou Jack, Yarde doesn't come close to beating any of them.

I agree with the Yarde assessment. Flatters to deceive.

16 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Ortiz is a cheat, plain and simple. Doping in boxing should be stamped upon, and any boxer found to be taking such extreme measures, should, IMO, be banned for life.

He was cleared of any wrong doing. It was for blood pressure tablets 

ortiz has been caught on juice TWICE, he is going to earn more than we earn in this fight what it takes most peps to earn in 10years..

he should be banned but the wbc are desperate to keep the green strap with DW, the fight stinks!

a boxer has lost his life this week in the sport.. i think if you are on the gear you could in effect end someones life ffs..banned-simple.. not rewarded with a crack at a heavyweight belt & pick up big $$$ .its wrong

I can't think of one boxer caught doping, who has had the decency to come out and admit they were wrong. Some of the excuses they use are an insult to Intelligence. I remember Kid Galahad's when he was caught, apparently his brother, who he had fallen out with, had spiked his drink, and his brother owned up to it, okay, that sounds genuine, like hell it does.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Guys who aren't caught are probably doping, the entire sport is dirty. Ortiz for what it's worth claims he's 38, I say bullshit, he's much older and it's not uncommon for Cuban boxers to lie about their age. 

He does look older than 38, but still looks in top shape 

The old man will get KO'd if you ask me, Wilder just needs to be careful, when he is backing off he tends to jump back and throw his hands in the air as if he is being crucified, it leaves him terribly off balanced but he's never been in with anyone who can expose that.

Oh and Ortiz is at least 57 years old

Frampton's lawsuit of McGuigan is looking interesting:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43214307

During Tuesday's hearing, evidence was read from Mr Frampton's sworn statement saying he first became suspicious about the McGuigans in the run up to his 2016 fight against Scott Quigg in Manchester.

Mr Frampton alleged that he and his wife Christine noticed the "McGuigan family and their wives and girlfriends" appeared to be using the business account for general expenses.

He said he still had not been paid for the fight some months after it took place and when he queried it he was "fobbed off". Mr Frampton said his opponent was paid some months before him.

Mr Frampton also alleges the McGuigans "took advantage" of his parents by getting them to lodge "significant sums of money" from ticket sales into Barry McGuigan's personal bank account.

The statement read to the court said: 'I expected him (Barry McGuigan) to safeguard my interests but I believe he abused that trust and was assisted by Sandra McGuigan in this regard.

"I believe they made undisclosed financial gain."

The court was told that "the final straw" came in 2017 when tax inspectors called at Mr Frampton's home with a bill for £397,000 relating to unpaid VAT by NI Cyclone Promotions.

His barrister told the court it was then that Mr Frampton resigned as a director of the company and appointed an accountant independent of the McGuigans.

23 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

The old man will get KO'd if you ask me, Wilder just needs to be careful, when he is backing off he tends to jump back and throw his hands in the air as if he is being crucified, it leaves him terribly off balanced but he's never been in with anyone who can expose that.

Oh and Ortiz is at least 57 years old

Ortiz would be smart to get on Wilder's chest, I do not think Wilder can fight at anything other than long range, but I do expect Wilder to repeated clip Ortiz on his way in.

Â