The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I have no idea what this page is about - who's the shady promoter?

MTK Global formerly MGM Marbella, founded by formerly popular middleweight Matthew Macklin and Daniel Kinahan, who along with his father allegedly runs one of the largest drug operations in Europe. The Kinahans have been involved in a particularly bloody feud in Dublin with the Hutch family.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–18_Irish_gangland_feud

One shooting occurred at an MTK weigh in and there has been attempts at other boxing events so it is no longer safe to have any professional boxing promotions in Ireland when MTK are involved.

MTK have recently been bought out by MTK trainer Danny Vaughan's (himself a convicted fraudster) wife Sandra Vaughan. Daniel Kinahan is still manager to a lot of the boxers.

They have decided to boycott the Irish media despite the Irish media going very easy on them all things considering:

A BOXING management company with 29 Irish fighters has said it is boycotting all media from the Republic of Ireland with immediate effect.

MTK Global CEO and sole shareholder Sandra Vaughan said in a statement that the Irish media has “continued to sensationalise and slander MTK Global” and its boxers.

The company also added that it will neither host boxing events in Ireland nor sign Irish fighters for the foreseeable future.

MTK Global, co-founded by Daniel Kinahan and Birmingham-born Irish fighter Matthew Macklin, counts Carl Frampton, Michael Conlan, Paddy Barnes and Tyson Fury among its boxers.

The company has since severed ties with Kinahan while a management buy-in last year saw Macklin remain as an advisor.

The statement comes after the Collision Course event scheduled for last Saturday, which featured five MTK Global fighters, was cancelled.

MTK Global said the Citywest Hotel in Dublin pulled out of hosting the event “following widespread media propaganda”.

'No connection with crime'

Ms Vaughan’s statement read: “Despite announcing MTK Global cutting all ties with Daniel Kinahan in February 2017, and announcing a full management buy-in by myself in October 2017, the Irish media have continued to vilify MTK Global in all and any mention of Irish boxing and MTK Global-signed boxers.

https://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/boxing-management-company-with-29-irish-fighters-announces-boycott-of-irish-media-149590

All MTK boxers have stupid MTK fairnews# logos on their twitter profiles now.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I wonder is it a case of when they signed up to MGM/MTK were they given an offer they couldn't refuse. The likes of Michael Conlan and Carl Frampton didn't need to as they will make a good living out of the game regardless.

Doesn't Matty Macklin front the company in Spain ?

4 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

He is only an advisor now since his good friend Daniel Kinahan had to step aside.

Different days since the General, what a character, there's a clip of him on You Tube, where he gets accosted outside the doll by a reporter. I broke my bolloxs laughing. He even refused the RAR, when they attempted to tax him, gotta luv him for that, but as you probably know, he went a bit too far by selling some expensive paintings to the Prod's. That was the perfect excuse for the RAR to off him. 

I think the vacuum created from the peace process brought out the gangster in some of the paramilitaries, who out of boredom, and the lure of money decided to go the criminal route. The way that firm shot up the boxing weigh in, and the lengths they went to, just for one man, was frightening. You wouldn't want to be on their list.

Groves is massively under priced, I'm amazed how much the bookies have Eubank such a strong favourite. Groves is arguably the bigger man, certainly has a lot more power from a single punch, has the better jab and has much, much better experience having being in with what would be considered a selection of 'elite' super middleweights like Froch, Jack and DeGale. Even opponents like Fedor Chudinov are a level above anyone Eubank has faced aside from Billy Joe. 

If Groves comes unstuck it will be down to his questionable stamina, Eubank has a great engine and punches in combinations, this sort of style has overwhelmed Groves in the past, but if Groves keeps pumping that good jab of his Eubank will find it hard to 'ambush' Groves, plus, Eubank hardly has great defense so if Groves find a home for the straight right hand, especially on the counter and as Eubank attempts to get in on Grove's inside then the fight might not even go the distance.

39 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Groves is massively under priced, I'm amazed how much the bookies have Eubank such a strong favourite. Groves is arguably the bigger man, certainly has a lot more power from a single punch, has the better jab and has much, much better experience having being in with what would be considered a selection of 'elite' super middleweights like Froch, Jack and DeGale. Even opponents like Fedor Chudinov are a level above anyone Eubank has faced aside from Billy Joe. 

If Groves comes unstuck it will be down to his questionable stamina, Eubank has a great engine and punches in combinations, this sort of style has overwhelmed Groves in the past, but if Groves keeps pumping that good jab of his Eubank will find it hard to 'ambush' Groves, plus, Eubank hardly has great defense so if Groves find a home for the straight right hand, especially on the counter and as Eubankattempts to get in on Grove's inside then the fight might not even go the distance.

We'll see. For me, I can't see anything but a Eubank stoppage. I really think he'll win the whole tournament . His dedication is second to none, and his belief in himself is unshakable. I can't wait for him to prove his potential starting with this evening.

I don't see Degale as an elite fighter. Good, but not elite, especially going by his last fight. Jack is not elite yet, IMO, that is. Froch's accolades speak for themselves, he's a certain future hall of famer. Elite fighters are special. I don't see Degale as special . I understand your point nonetheless.

Edited by sheepyvillian

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

We'll see. For me, I can't see anything but a Eubank stoppage. I really think he'll win the whole tournament . His dedication is second to none, and his belief in himself is unshakable. I can't wait for him to prove his potential starting with this evening.

I don't see Degale as an elite fighter. Good, but not elite, especially going by his last fight. Jack is not elite yet, IMO, that is. Froch's accolades speak for themselves, he's a certain future hall of famer. Elite fighters are special, Mayweather, PAC man, Jones, and Chavez and many more. 

I was talking about the 'elite' end of the division (hence I said 'elite super middleweights') rather than objectively 'elite'. DeGale and Jack for me has been in a small subset of the best Super middles over the past few years. I would never say they have been among the very best boxers in the world and I wouldn't even put Froch in that category.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I was talking about the 'elite' end of the division (hence I said 'elite super middleweights') rather than objectively 'elite'. DeGale and Jack for me has been in a small subset of the best Super middles over the past few years. I would never say they have been among the best boxers in the world and I wouldn't even put Froch in that category.

Hence my edit. But you beat me to the " punch".;) 

• Like 1

Â