The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

12 hours ago, RichardCanning said:

Groves v Eubank Jnr date set as 17 February 2018. Hopefully both come to fight and we'll find out how good Eubank Jnr is/isn't against someone who isn't just there to be a human punchbag.

For me a genuine 50/50 fight so will be great to watch, here's hoping Eubank Snr doesn't try and make it all about him

I think Eubank Jr beats Groves. I think Eubank Jr will be too busy for Groves.

Anyone seen Team Parker's embarrassing 'press conference' begging for a 35:65 split against AJ?

Honestly it's hilarious, go check it. These amateur guys have put together a press conference in what looks like their shed where they proceed to put up footage via a projector of AJ being dropped in sparring.

I think they'll be lucky to get a 10:90 split after this shambles LOL. 

Edited by West

9 hours ago, West said:

Anyone seen Team Parker's embarrassing 'press conference' begging for a 35:65 split against AJ?

Honestly it's hilarious, go check it. These amateur guys have put together a press conference in what looks like their shed where they proceed to put up footage via a projector of AJ being dropped in sparring.

I think they'll be lucky to get a 10:90 split after this shambles LOL. 

Just seen it, how embarrassing :crylaugh:

It is a bit daft & wilder isn't much better.

Joshua is filling stadiums & doing millions on PPV, Parker can barely fill a bingo hall in his home country and wilder stuggles to sell 10,000 tickets for a 20,000 arena in his hometown.

a 10-15% split on a fight with joshua will be worth more to parker than he has earned in his career to date & probably the rest of his fights combined

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

It is a bit daft & wilder isn't much better.

Joshua is filling stadiums & doing millions on PPV, Parker can barely fill a bingo hall in his home country and wilder stuggles to sell 10,000 tickets for a 20,000 arena in his hometown.

a 10-15% split on a fight with joshua will be worth more to parker than he has earned in his career to date & probably the rest of his fights combined

Yes i know what you mean, but I do think  though the 60-30 split is fair though. He will be earning double parker does 

This is why boxing is anti-sport, purses should not be such a big issue. Parker was offered a derisory split so I can see why he was so unhappy. World title fights should have relatively fair splits, it's simply in the interest of the sport that the best fights are made to happen. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is why boxing is anti-sport, purses should not be such a big issue. Parker was offered a derisory split so I can see why he was so unhappy. World title fights should have relatively fair splits, it's simply in the interest of the sport that the best fights are made to happen. 

Couldn't agree more. Irrelevant of 'saleabilty' Parker is a world champion (whatever you think of his ability).

If i was Parker I'd stop begging for the fight. Instead I'd say 'you want to unify a d to do that you need to get through me, your call'

In terms of money, Parker needs Joshua. In terms of success/legacy, Joshua needs the Parker/Wilder fights even more. 

So Parker vs joshua. Which loser will wilder fight next?

Me has to be miller or whyte. I think wilder would beat both. Miller looks quite tough so that could be a intereating fight. Although i expect wilder to win i sont think it woukd be easy for him

• 2 weeks later...

So a very exciting fight later as Lomachenko fights Rigondeaux for what will be the right to be called pound for pound #1 in the sport. Rigo looks in fantastic shape for this and super sharp in all pad work, however I have to pick Lomachenko and possibly even by stoppage in what will be a high class technical chess match for as long as it lasts. The odds really are against Rigondeaux, Lomachenko is 8 years younger, has been far more active against higher calibre opponents (Rigo's last good opponent was Donaire back in 2013) and Rigo is moving up two weight classes for this, so Lomachenko is the much bigger guy and has more power.

Lomachenko will have the decisive edge in power and footwork, both have excellent speed but Lomachenko is far more active and throws more punches. Rigo also has a suspect chin and can leave himself very open having been dropped several times in his career. Rigo is a masterful boxer but I think he's in too deep here.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

bit difficult to gauge how good he can be, obviously he is still a baby and is still learning but it must be a nightmare trying to get him fights that he can learn from without being too much of a risk for him.

Yarde looked good, got him a bit more than he would have liked but he did the job against a light hitting 40 year old, good matchmaking as Buncey pointed out.

Selby bores me, I struggle to stay interested in his fights, I don't know what it is about him.

I'm staying up for Loma and Rigo, can't wait for that one. I agree with pretty much everything that Dr P said about the fight, I love watching both of them but Loma has really pissed me off in his last few fights (his last one especially) with all of the bull shit that he has been doing in the ring, tapping them on the head and taking the piss and what not, it was as if he was just bored in there, I doubt if we will see any of those shenanigans tonight

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

DeGale is finished at world level, pathetic display against Caleb Truax who is a C level fighter. DeGale will likely need a stoppage, lost every round apart from round 1 and round 5 was damn near a 10-8 to Truax. 

Round 5 was brilliant, DeGale spends far too much time on the ropes, Truax is a bog standard come forward fighter, DeGale should be making light work of him if he wants to  remain the no1 of the division

Â