The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Yes, I imagine Golovkin will box like in the Lemiuex fight, he'll be respectful and prioritise the jab whilst mixing in body shots and thus, taking less risk early on, and as Canelo starts to break down will become more aggressive and force a stoppage in and around the 10th-11th round. 

A sillier fight for Golovkin, although more crowd pleasing, would be to be super aggressive and to fight in closer quarters. Obviously Canelo is very good in the pocket, so Golovkin needs to keep pushing him back with the jab, cutting the ring off as he does so brilliantly, and get Canelo using his legs a lot, this coupled with a body attack will gas him. Canelo will have advantages in hand speed and he will test Golovkin's chin, which has looked pretty granite so far. Canelo's uppercuts will be the best punch to deploy, Golovkin showed his defence for that shot isn't great in the Brook fight, although how much of that was down to tactics (i.e. him not giving a shit about Brook's 'power') is anyone's guess.

I just watched the Crawford fight and he totally destroyed Indongo. As I thought, Indongo's wildness and openness was his undoing, Crawford picked him a part with short counter punches. Although I did expect Indongo to offer a lot more, he was just outclassed. I thought it was great how Crawford boxed the entire fight southpaw, this immediately neutralised Indongo's straight left hand. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes, I imagine Golovkin will box like in the Lemiuex fight, he'll be respectful and prioritise the jab whilst mixing in body shots and thus, taking less risk early on, and as Canelo starts to break down will become more aggressive and force a stoppage in and around the 10th-11th round. 

A sillier fight for Golovkin, although more crowd pleasing, would be to be super aggressive and to fight in closer quarters. Obviously Canelo is very good in the pocket, so Golovkin needs to keep pushing him back with the jab, cutting the ring off as he does so brilliantly, and get Canelo using his legs a lot, this coupled with a body attack will gas him. Canelo will have advantages in hand speed and he will test Golovkin's chin, which has looked pretty granite so far. Canelo's uppercuts will be the best punch to deploy, Golovkin showed his defence for that shot isn't great in the Brook fight, although how much of that was down to tactics (i.e. him not giving a shit about Brook's 'power') is anyone's guess.

I just watched the Crawford fight and he totally destroyed Indongo. As I thought, Indongo's wildness and openness was his undoing, Crawford picked him a part with short counter punches. Although I did expect Indongo to offer a lot more, he was just outclassed. I thought it was great how Crawford boxed the entire fight southpaw, this immediately neutralised Indongo's straight left hand. 

Crawford was great here outclassed indongo. Think he should move up as i tjink he will beat garcia easily.

Think he should challenge errol Spence jr for the ibf title.

Whilst I think he beats Garcia too, I don't see it being easy, mainly because Garcia is exceptionally tight defensively and patient with his work. Crawford will have to work hard to land cleanly and Garcia is very crisp counter puncher himself, and Crawford is hardly a defensive genius. 

Lots of fights for Crawford at 147.  I'd imagine he wants to catch Pacquiao while he still can (if he still can) as there's a lot of money to be made there, but the next 12-18 months could see him become a megastar if he takes the right fights and wins. 

At one point there was a lot of talk of Crawford vs Pacquiao at around 140lbs, but the sense is that Pacquiao didn't really fancy passing the torch over. With Roach already imploring him to retire, it's likely that if he does box again, it will be a rematch against Jeff Horn and that will be it.

At 147lbs the only boxer I'd pick to beat Crawford is Spence. I think he'd beat the rest, he'd make mince meat out of the likes of Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter. Brook would give him a good fight and so would Mikey Garcia, but I wouldn't make either of them favourites. 

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

At one point there was a lot of talk of Crawford vs Pacquiao at around 140lbs, but the sense is that Pacquiao didn't really fancy passing the torch over. With Roach already imploring him to retire, it's likely that if he does box again, it will be a rematch against Jeff Horn and that will be it.

At 147lbs the only boxer I'd pick to beat Crawford is Spence. I think he'd beat the rest, he'd make mince meat out of the likes of Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter. Brook would give him a good fight and so would Mikey Garcia, but I wouldn't make either of them favourites. 

I dont know I think Crawford would beat Spence. i agree about the rest of the division he would wipe the floor with them. Shame he isnt a bit bigger. Crawford vs GGG would be epic 

Edited by Demitri_C

I'll be glad in a few days time when it's over. I know it's bunkum, it demeans boxing and that it's possibly the greatest defensive boxer of all time against a shouty fella who's never had a pro fight, I know the build up has been scripted and manufactured and that it's a TV event designed to make money a lot more than it's a fight, I know that if McGregor wins, I'll always suspect it was a money fix because he's the man that can go on and make more. I know it's not sport, I know it's not boxing, I know it makes boxing worse - but I keep watching; the press conferences, the sparring, the stories on websites, anything that's out there - I'll be glad when it's over and I can stop looking at it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'll be glad in a few days time when it's over. I know it's bunkum, it demeans boxing and that it's possibly the greatest defensive boxer of all time against a shouty fella who's never had a pro fight, I know the build up has been scripted and manufactured and that it's a TV event designed to make money a lot more than it's a fight, I know that if McGregor wins, I'll always suspect it was a money fix because he's the man that can go on and make more. I know it's not sport, I know it's not boxing, I know it makes boxing worse - but I keep watching; the press conferences, the sparring, the stories on websites, anything that's out there - I'll be glad when it's over and I can stop looking at it.

Eveyone will be thinking conspiracies if mcgregor wins. So you could argue its a no win for them either

I've watched a few minutes. It's a farce.

Doesn't help I can't stand McGregor or the parade around him. I don't like Mayweather either. McGregor shouldn't win outside of a lucky punch, but if he does we'll never hear the end of it.

For that alone I hope Mayweather drops him as fast as possible.

52 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've watched a few minutes. It's a farce.

Doesn't help I can't stand McGregor or the parade around him. I don't like Mayweather either. McGregor shouldn't win outside of a lucky punch, but if he does we'll never hear the end of it.

For that alone I hope Mayweather drops him as fast as possible.

I've never liked Mayweather but McGregor is the most odious individual involved in sports. Nothing about him is funny and he has at most a 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of winning this fight (unless it is thrown, which given the circus this is wouldn't massively surprise me). 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've never liked Mayweather but McGregor is the most odious individual involved in sports. Nothing about him is funny and he has at most a 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of winning this fight (unless it is thrown, which given the circus this is wouldn't massively surprise me). 

There is no way on this earth mayweather woukd throw this fight to lose.  The guys arrogance at being the best he would never allow it.

If mcgregor were to win for me it would be to either mayweather not being at his best as this is no contest if it mayweather in his fighting best

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

If there is a gentleman's agreement in this fight its surely for Mcgregor to lose on points. Mayweather loves money but im not sure he would be willing to throw away his 49-0 record because of a fixed fight.

In terms of things being fixed, this is a likely outcome. Floyd may let himself get caught in a few of the rounds to make it look competitive. He does indeed love money which makes betting on himself (through various channels) likely. Odds on a points outcome are higher than just Mayweather to win. 

There'd be huge money in a rematch if McGregor looks competitive, so it wouldn't surprise me if Mayweather made it look competitive. Floyd is done in terms of top level boxing, top fighters like Errol Spence would decapitate him at this time. But another fight with McGregor would not only be less risky, but another massive payday. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

In terms of things being fixed, this is a likely outcome. Floyd may let himself get caught in a few of the rounds to make it look competitive. He does indeed love money which makes betting on himself (through various channels) likely. Odds on a points outcome are higher than just Mayweather to win. 

There'd be huge money in a rematch if McGregor looks competitive, so it wouldn't surprise me if Mayweather made it look competitive. Floyd is done in terms of top level boxing, top fighters like Errol Spence would decapitate him at this time. But another fight with McGregor would not only be less risky, but another massive payday. 

You think spence would? Not so sure about that. Trust this Pauline mcgregor is all lined up for next fight for mcgregor. This is all 100% staged by paulie and McGregor

Â