The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

yup looked very good

I had it down for a points win for burns with mitchell having the potential to knock him out (pretty much as everyone had it I think) definitely wasn't expecting that from Burns though

I dont know where Mitchell goes from her now, he got brutally knocked out by Katsidis and this was only his 3rd fight in two years, the lightweight division doesn't really have a massive amount of options does it

He didnt get brutally knocked out by Katsidis at all, he got stopped while on his feet. Tonight was the first time in his entire career he has been knocked down. The Katsidis defeat and year of inactivity which followed was self inflicted too, that's what happens when you are a boxer who decides to spend a year in the pub instead of in the gym. Mitchell still has options, he still has the ability to get back to title level (he is only 27 for Christ's sake) but he just needs to learn from his mistakes. He has too much talent to get sucked into wars, he looked great against John Murray which was a fight in which he knew he had no chance of winning if he stood and traded. If he uses his boxing skills then he will be back.

Burns on the other hand has to try to unify the division now. There are several big fights out there for him, and if he loses any of them he can pull the "I'm struggling to make the weight" line and move up to 140 and be in the mix for a title up there. Warren says he wants Burns out again before Xmas, which almost certainly rules out a unification fight this year as the other champions already have schedules which dont fit in with that. Is there anybody outside of the obvious names (Vazquez, and the winner of Broner vs DeMarco) who can give Burns a run for his money at lightweight? If he fights in December it's just going to be a routine defence against somebody outside of the top ten, isnt it?

Maybe it was stopped while he was on his feet but if I remember rightly there was a bomb thrown by katsidis and Mitchell was completely rocked and had no idea who what or where he was, I maybe glamorising it slightly in my head but that is pretty much how I remember it.

Don't get me wrong rev I wasn't saying he should retire lol, I just don't know where he goes from here, it'll take a good while for him to get back to where he is now and people will be asking big questions of him if he does manage to get there.

I actually wanted him to win it, I always thought that burns was good at what he does but never really provided the excitement or the knock outs that everyone wanted where as Mitchell did, I was wrong about that though burns really surprised me there

Kimbo Slice vs Roy Jones jr in Jamaica at some point later this year. CguHc.gif

Roy was one of the greatest of all time, imagine what his legacy would have been like if he retired after winning the heavyweight title? Now he will just be remembered as a freak show who went on far too long.

Could be worse, Jesse Owens was reduced to racing against horses to make money.

just youtubed the mitchell v katsidis fight, you are right it wasn't as spectacular as I remembered it but when the final onslaught came on from katsidis I think mitchell would have been going down seconds later if the ref wouldn't have stopped it, he was ****

I remember him after the fight saying he didn't realize how much trouble he was in at the time or just how much the punch had hurt him

just watching MOTD then I'm gunna stick the Frampton fight on

Mitchell is overrated, I was hearing a lot about his 'talent' and 'power' in the build up but I personally only ever saw him becoming a B level lightweight at best. Two things stand in the way IMO, (1) his personal life, it's simply ruining him, (2) I don't think he has particularly high in ring IQ. Burns sussed out KM after round 1 and noticed that he carries his left hand too low, thus allowing him to land loads of right hands.

Burns showed the intelligence and skill to adjust, Mitchell looked bereft of ideas after round 1. I wonder what his excuse is this time. Hopefully Burns now takes on genuine quality opposition rather than the bouts he has had over the last couple of years. I don't think Burns should move up to 140 because I think he'd get murdered in that division and although he stopped Mitchell, he hasn't IMO got the power to fight at light welter.

Oh and Roy Jones vs Kimbo just makes me want to cry. I actually don't think he's tarnishing his legacy that much, but maybe that's because I'm a deluded RJJ fan and tend to separate his career from the Johnson loss. Roy has been shot to shit since 2004, I really do not understand why he doesn't retire, does he really want to end up like his friend Gerald McClellan.

Been out of the loop lately but I must say RIP Corrie Sanders, what a tragic death that was. He was a great bloke and a bit of a warrior in the ring. He throw a devastating short left. I'll always remember him for his destruction of Wladimir Klitschko, his great fight with Rahman and the first round against Vitali.

Aussie ring warrior Michael Katsidis is ready to step up and challenge Ricky Hatton in the former two-weight world champion's return on November 24.

The Hitman, who is back after a three-year absence, is expected to announce on Friday his opponent for his eagerly-anticipated comeback at the Manchester Arena later this Autumn.

Despite losing four of his last five bouts, Katsidis would provide a stern test should Hatton opt to take on the dangerous lightweight.

Comeback kid: Ricky Hatton is returning to the ring on November 24 at the Manchester Arena

Comeback kid: Ricky Hatton is returning to the ring on November 24 at the Manchester Arena

'At this stage there have been no discussions,' Katsidis' representative Matthew Tripp told the BBC.

'But it is something we would consider depending on the purse and depending on the weight.

'It wouldn't be a problem to fight in Manchester. Michael has been over to Britain and he's won two world titles over there.

'We have had nothing from their camp at the moment. But 24 November would give us enough time - Michael is in full training at the moment.'

The 32-year-old from Queensland is a former two-time WBO interim lightweight champion but can step up to light-welterweight.

Dangerous: Aussie Katsidis destroyed Kevin Mitchell in May 2010 at Upton Park

Dangerous: Aussie Katsidis destroyed Kevin Mitchell in May 2010 at Upton Park

He famously destroyed Kevin Mitchell at Upton Park in 2010 before falling to Scottish lightweight king Ricky Burns in a unanimous points defeat in London last year.

Despite not yet naming his opponent, Hatton has nearly sold out the Manchester venue with very few tickets remaining for his homecoming.

But a mouth-watering showdown against the all-action Katsidis would certainly see them snapped up in no time.

Roy was one of the greatest of all time, imagine what his legacy would have been like if he retired after winning the heavyweight title? Now he will just be remembered as a freak show who went on far too long.

It's a different thing entirely. Jesse Owens was an amateur sprinter, Roy Jones jr has (conservatively) earned $100m from boxing and given how good he was at his peak, he will always be able to get a gig in the media talking about the sport. He doesnt need the money.

It's a different thing entirely. Jesse Owens was an amateur sprinter, Roy Jones jr has (conservatively) earned $100m from boxing and given how good he was at his peak, he will always be able to get a gig in the media talking about the sport. He doesnt need the money.

I'm not sure about that. It was reported not long ago that he's got a very big tax bill. The kind that I'm not sure his gig at HBO covers. How anyone could spunk that amount of money is beyond me though.

I tend to think that Roy is one of those that just can't give it up rather than being broke (unlike for example Holyfield who is broke). It's sad to see, he wants a shot at a Cruiserweight title and become the first to win titles from middle to heavyweight.

Roy is one of the most outstanding athletes to ever box, the problem of course is that as he approached his mid 30s his reflexes slowed slightly and his legs weren't what they were. Getting KO'd twice in a row by Tarver and The Road Warrior finished him, I just wish he retired after that. Seeing the likes of Danny Green and Lebedev (boxers who would have been destroyed by a prime RJJ) stop him was too much for me personally LOL.

His last bout against some unknown with a KO record of like 20% was truly awful, he got knocked down and won a robbery decision. He was apparently paid $40k for that. So I doubt he did it because he needed the money.

lol I was just about to post this.

Vyacheslav Senchenko frankly isn't very good and was a paper champ, he fought a load of nobodies and was gifted his WBA strap anyone that get's KO'd by Malignaggi has serious chin problems.

The question though is how shot is Hatton? Key to his game was his speed across the canvas, his legs are most likely gone so he'd have lost that. He treated his body like shit whilst a pro and has treated it even worse in retirement, all those eating, drinking and coke binges must have had some sort of physical affect, and we haven't even got into his mental state yet.

Another thing is that he could never take a punch at welterweight so I doubt he'll get that far, going for the light punching Paulie is his best bet of a title but I think Paulie schools him now and cruises to a points decision.

Off the top who has returned to boxing from at least 3 years out of the game and won a title in the modern era? I got Ray Leonard and George Foreman, Hatton was never anywhere near the class of those two.

I half hope he gets knocked out at some point, I never was a big fan, his return is a car crash waiting to happen.

Munroe-Quigg will be interesting though.

Vyacheslav Senchenko frankly isn't very good and was a paper champ, he fought a load of nobodies and was gifted his WBA strap anyone that get's KO'd by Malignaggi has serious chin problems.

I don't really think you can count a stoppage based on swelling against his chin.

Off the top who has returned to boxing from at least 3 years out of the game and won a title in the modern era? I got Ray Leonard and George Foreman, Hatton was never anywhere near the class of those two.

There aren't many but I think the real key is that those 2 didn't abuse their bodies like Hatton has in his time off.

I guess the obvious answer to your question is Ali, but his layoff was for altogether different reasons. I'd argue it was dawn of the modern era.

Mike Tyson had a four year layoff due to his rape conviction and won the WBA and WBC titles when he came back. His record post comeback was poor though, it was something like 8-5+2 no contests.

It will be interesting to see what Scott Harrison does on his comeback. He was seven years out of the game due to personal problems, he seems to think he is still at world title level too becaue he repeatedly points out he never lost his title in the ring.

cant see harrison getting any where near that again, they keep on sounding out ricky burns for a fight with him, I recon that would just be a case of ricky helping out a fellow scot and giving him one last pay day...whilst beating him up in the process

Yeah I always found Tyson's return a bit of a joke, he was a freak show and essentially bet up a load of tomato cans and got destroyed against the top guys he fought (Holyfield and Lewis). It was a sad sight to see him get stopped by Danny Williamson and Kev McBride. Ali of course had 3 years out, I didn't realise it was quite that long, but yeah, definitely goes on the list.

Harrison I doubt will amount to much this time around.

Oh and Alexander Povetkin is fighting Hasim 'has-been' Rahman tonight, lol. Also Vic Darchinyan is fighting against Luis Del Valle, I'm picking Del Valle to win that as long as he can stay out of the way of Darchinyan's big power shots.

cant see harrison getting any where near that again, they keep on sounding out ricky burns for a fight with him, I recon that would just be a case of ricky helping out a fellow scot and giving him one last pay day...whilst beating him up in the process

I'd advise Burns to take that fight too, he should win comfortably and it will definitely sell well to the Scottish fans. Could make quite a few quid out of it.

Â