The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

What a fight, can't think of a better heavy weight fight I have ever seen tbh. Just watched history being made.

Wilder, his own worst enemy, he picked his corner who seemed to just offer words of encouragement rather than any technical support.

Fury what a beast of man, born to fight with a heart of a lion and a corner who gave support. The way he seemed to target Wilders ear ....brutal, his heart to get up and hold on, huge.

When I saw his weight gain and with the issues he has had over the last few months I had doubts but this guys simply the best heavy weight fighter by a country mile.

58 minutes ago, tinker said:

What a fight, can't think of a better heavy weight fight I have ever seen tbh. Just watched history being made.

Wilder, his own worst enemy, he picked his corner who seemed to just offer words of encouragement rather than any technical support.

Fury what a beast of man, born to fight with a heart of a lion and a corner who gave support. The way he seemed to target Wilders ear ....brutal, his heart to get up and hold on, huge.

When I saw his weight gain and with the issues he has had over the last few months I had doubts but this guys simply the best heavy weight fighter by a country mile.

The best heavyweight fighter by a country mile, currently? Not of all time surely?

Usyk should win the AJ rematch, he was levels ahead.

Usyk Vs Fury for undisputed 

Wilder Vs AJ - try to knock each others heads off (would be a big draw still).

If Fury and AJ win, they fight. If either lose Fury retires.

Dillian White is mandatory, but the risk to reward ratio is too high! Feel sorry for the guy. Only way he gets in is if AJ beats Uysk and there's a third fight. 

Edited by pas5898

29 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The best heavyweight fighter by a country mile, currently? Not of all time surely?

Well I'm 53 so I never saw the Ali, Fraser, foreman in their prime.  Mike Tyson probably the 2nd best I have seen although Lewis , Larry Holmes were very good.

Just can't see past Fury, his size and mobility are freakish , he was a 1/3 quicker than Wilder, he was turning and hitting him before Wilder knew what was happening and I'm not convinced Fury was 100% on his game.

So best I have seen live, in a one off fight,  at the top of his game, Fury.  All time best not to sure, it takes something  special to defend titles year after year, Fury hasn't got the time to do it and I'm  not sure he has that in his locker

In a one off fight at the top his game I think he would be to much for 99% of the fighters in history. Ali was 15 stone 7 when he fought Foreman, Fury is 19 stone......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Well I'm 53 so I never saw the Ali, Fraser, foreman in their prime.  Mike Tyson probably the 2nd best I have seen although Lewis , Larry Holmes were very good.

Just can't see past Fury, his size and mobility are freakish , he was a 1/3 quicker than Wilder, he was turning and hitting him before Wilder knew what was happening and I'm not convinced Fury was 100% on his game.

So best I have seen live, in a one off fight,  at the top of his game, Fury.  All time best not to sure, it takes something  special to defend titles year after year, Fury hasn't got the time to do it and I'm  not sure he has that in his locker

In a one off fight at the top his game I think he would be to much for 99% of the fighters in history. Ali was 15 stone 7 when he fought Foreman, Fury is 19 stone......

It's all subjective I suppose. Like saying the best biscuit. I am only 51 but wouldn't even put him in the top 10. For reference my favourite fighter is Tyson but I put Ali above him. 

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Also his movement is astonishing for a man of his sized 

The man was born for this shit. You can't teach what he has and he has it in abundance. 

That was Fowler's downfall against Smith, a lack of real self - belief, and when that is your Achilles heel, you're not going to get very far in a  sport like boxing.

Incidentally, I thought the behaviour of the Smith brothers whilst Fowler was on the canvas was despicable. That kind of behaviour coming from ex boxers is a total insult to the sport of boxing. 

24 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Absolutely. When it comes to whose the greatest there's only one name that deserves that accolade. Muhammad Ali, the man is the greatest sportsman of all time, maybe the greatest human being of all time. What a specimen he was.

Watch blood brothers on Netflix, also one night in miami 

He'll take some beating for the greatest sportsman imo I'd be happy for someone to try and change my mind but as someone using his stature to stand up for things outside of his sport I don't Ali can be topped 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Fury versus peak Mike Tyson would be interesting. Fury's massive size advantage, chin and boxing ability against the constant ferocity of Mike Tyson.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Absolutely. When it comes to whose the greatest there's only one name that deserves that accolade. Muhammad Ali, the man is the greatest sportsman of all time, maybe the greatest human being of all time. What a specimen he was.

Greatest human being of all time?

“A black man should be killed if he’s messing with a white woman,” he said. And it was the same for a white man making a pass at a black woman. “We’ll kill anybody who tries to mess around with our women.” But suppose the black woman wanted to be with the white man, the interviewer asked. “Then she dies,” Ali answered. “Kill her too.”

Superb fight, not feeling too great this morning having watched it but hey ho.

Fury outclassed Wilder in almost every round except for the first and the fourth/fifth (whichever one it was he suffered the double knockdown). Wilder almost went down in each of the 7th, 8th and 9th rounds I think it was with only the ropes saving him on each occasion.

Fury is absolute class, for years I wondered who would have won between him and Joshua but it’s clear that Joshua isn’t even fit to share a ring with Fury.

The perfect combination of ability, heart, desire, power and that little bit of craziness.

Hopefully it’s Fury - Usyk next for all the belts, I’d even consider paying for that one if it’s in the UK and not on at silly o’clock.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Usyk to beat AJ again

Fury to beat Whyte

Then Fury versus Usyk for all the belts before retiring. 

I'd say that's the most likely course of events. I suppose there might still be the financial aspect of a Fury v Joshua fight after Fury becomes undisputed, but assuming Usyk wins again, then Joshua would be better retiring with his faculties and looks in one piece. Fury would destroy him so completely and utterly I'd be seriously worried for him.

I think Wilder came in a bit too heavy and his team should have known this. That said Fury is a beast of a man, to hear him after the fight, he says it how it is. Still had respect for Wilder "he's a hell of a puncher I can tell you that" even though he didn't show respect for Fury, but I hope this clears in the next couple of days. Wilder should have respect too, he made a hell of a fight an, fair play to him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Was a an amazing finish to a legendary triology. 

Defo will be remembered historically. 

I don’t think it was a legendary trilogy tho, I mean Fury essentially won all three of the fights but was robbed in the first by the judges, this third fight (albeit it was perhaps the best of all three) probably shouldn’t have taken place and had it not, we’d instead have had the Fury/Joshua fight at its peak level of interest and as a unification bout. 

Â