The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Another one missed again zzzz ffs

good fight ?

It was tense. BJ had some good rounds, but like I  said, ain't no way Mark Tibbs is going to gamble with the eyesight of his own fighter regardless of how the fighter feels, and rightly so. 

• Like 1

I don't understand people giving him shit for quitting with a majorly **** up eye, it's most likely a fractured orbital.

People really want him to fight Canelo one eyed lol.

As soon as that punch landed I messaged my mate and said the fight is over now, BJS was doing well but was 4 rounds down on two of the cards.

Regardless of the fact that people don't like him, he gave Canelo a tough night up until he had his face caved in.

• Like 3

Thought it was a proper attempt,very similar to brook v GGG fought well but that orbital is a killer, hope he takes his time on coming back as we all remember brook doing it a 2nd time against Spence

I despise BJS but you have to give him credit for some of the boxing.  He was outsmarting canelo. But once canelo figured him out he went to brutal mode and gave BJS a beating in the round. You could see BJS only had one eye so it had to be stopped. But BJS would have got knocked out in the next two rounds as canelo was starting to dind his rhythm. 

cant see plant doing anything against canelo so i expect him to unify then move up again

Fighting Canelo with two eyes is hard but with one eye is suicidal. Such a shame as I had BJS up by a round. As soon as that punch landed I felt it was over. 

He kept ducking down like that eventually Canelo was going to time him. Can't see plant beating him I'd love to see him win because of the passing of his daughter. 

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Fighting Canelo with two eyes is hard but with one eye is suicidal. Such a shame as I had BJS up by a round. As soon as that punch landed I felt it was over. 

He kept ducking down like that eventually Canelo was going to time him. Can't see plant beating him I'd love to see him win because of the passing of his daughter. 

Yeah i agree with that.  BJS would find it hard enough with two but having ine would be a straight ko.

Once canelo figured him out he really stepped it up. Reminded me anit if the Crawford fight vs brook. Once crawford figured out brook he wiped him out. Ok BJS didnt get wiped out but he took abit of a beating in that final round.

I think that may have continued the next few rounds whether BJS didnt suffer the eye injury or not 

Was always going to be ask to beat someone of Canelo's class and ability but sounds like Saunders gave it his best shot and won't be the last to fall short against one of the modern greats.

Edit - just to add his corner clearly did the right thing to stop the fight....

Edited by Brumstopdogs

I thought Saunders did well, but Canelo never really looked threatened, he at times looked like a man solving a puzzle, but he never looked worried about being hurt by Saunders or not being able to find a way. 

The corner did the right thing pulling him out obviously, it was way too dangerous for him to continue with the damage to his cheek/eye socket and it was the right way to go - but at the same time it's also a glorious irony given that he said this about Daniel Dubois:

You look at the greats, the eyes, the face, we get through that. That’s the path in life we choose for a living. We punch people in the face and get punched in the face. If my two eye sockets were broken, my jaw was broken, my teeth were out, my nose was smashed, my brain was beaten, I was not stopping until I was knocked out or worse. I don’t agree with a man taking the knee and letting the ref count him out.”

So yeah, Saunders badly damaged, potentially to the extent that he won't be able to fight again, shamed on his stool and humiliated by his own words in front of 73,000 people.

Pretty much perfect!

• Like 3

People say stupid things (BJS more than most) but quotes like this are made all the time, half of boxing is about the bravado, no boxer wants to show any sign of weakness, Wilder said he wanted a body on his record, he said he is a warrior and would always go out on his shield yet they threw the towel in when he was getting snotted by Fury.

Dave Allen said that AJ quit against Ruiz and that he wouldn't ever do that and he retired on his stool against David Price, those are just the very first two that come to mind.

Yeah some fighters have quit on their stool and prolonged their careers and other have been too brave for their own good and lived to regret going into those final rounds a helluva lot more than they would have regretted staying on their stools.

Its been confirmed that BJS suffered a quadripod fracture to the orbital bone, AKA a complete blow out

The one thing I wouldn't criticise BJS for is not coming out of his corner - that punch changed the shape of his head - to come out and fight with half his face broken would have been incredibly dangerous to his long term health.

I don't like him and I won't miss him, but I don't think anyone could have expected him to come out and carry on.

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The one thing I wouldn't criticise BJS for is not coming out of his corner - that punch changed the shape of his head - to come out and fight with half his face broken would have been incredibly dangerous to his long term health.

I don't like him and I won't miss him, but I don't think anyone could have expected him to come out and carry on.

Ah yeah he cracked him good and proper with that shot in the 8th. Fighters know. BJ knew something was wrong straight away. So did Canelo. He put his hands up reving up the crowd on. He knew something had turned there and then.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Ah yeah he cracked him good and proper with that shot in the 8th. Fighters know. BJ knew something was wrong straight away. So did Canelo. He put his hands up reving up the crowd on. He knew something had turned there and then.

There's a clinch just after the uppercut where the ref breaks it up and is briefly in between them and you can see Canelo leaning to his left to get a good look. He's very visibly telling his corner what he'd seen as well as the end of the round. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

People say stupid things (BJS more than most) but quotes like this are made all the time, half of boxing is about the bravado, no boxer wants to show any sign of weakness, Wilder said he wanted a body on his record, he said he is a warrior and would always go out on his shield yet they threw the towel in when he was getting snotted by Fury.

Dave Allen said that AJ quit against Ruiz and that he wouldn't ever do that and he retired on his stool against David Price, those are just the very first two that come to mind.

Yeah some fighters have quit on their stool and prolonged their careers and other have been too brave for their own good and lived to regret going into those final rounds a helluva lot more than they would have regretted staying on their stools.

Its been confirmed that BJS suffered a quadripod fracture to the orbital bone, AKA a complete blow out

I agree. The easiest thing in the world is to talk a good fight. The kind of injury suffered by BJ on Saturday night was as bad as it gets. Mark Tibbs, said he wasn't getting the right response from his fighter. That's because the pain must have been so severe, added to the fact that he probably couldn't see out of that eye. That's enough to frighten any man regardless of reputation. 

The thing is, all that silly macho talk has come back and bit him where it hurts. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree. The easiest thing in the world is to talk a good fight. The kind of injury suffered by BJ on Saturday night was as bad as it gets. Mark Tibbs, said he wasn't getting the right response from his fighter. That's because the pain must have been so severe, added to the fact that he probably couldn't see out of that eye. That's enough to frighten any man regardless of reputation. 

The thing is, all that silly macho talk has come back and bit him where it hurts. 

100% and he dishes enough shit out to take some back, Dubois sent him a nice brief classy tweet after the fight just saying that he fought well and he hopes he heals up quickly and comes back stronger or something along them lines, Dubois is dull as dishwater but he comes across as a decent bloke.

In other news has anyone seen that Dave Allen is making a comeback? he said that he is missing it but he is going to stick to a lower level and is just looking to enjoy himself now, sensible choice, he's got a skull like Homer Simpson but he's one serious punch away from doing himself permanent serious damage.

8 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

100% and he dishes enough shit out to take some back, Dubois sent him a nice brief classy tweet after the fight just saying that he fought well and he hopes he heals up quickly and comes back stronger or something along them lines, Dubois is dull as dishwater but he comes across as a decent bloke.

In other news has anyone seen that Dave Allen is making a comeback? he said that he is missing it but he is going to stick to a lower level and is just looking to enjoy himself now, sensible choice, he's got a skull like Homer Simpson but he's one serious punch away from doing himself permanent serious damage.

Dave Allen shouldn't be let have a license by the board again. Took some bad beatings in his last few fights but hey there are such things in the game as professional journeyman. Don't even train. Get a call middle of the week to fight an unbeaten prospect on a Friday or Saturday night. If you ever check boxrec when an unbeaten prospect has a fight coming up, the opponent could be listed as TBA as late as Thursday of fight week. 

Â