The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

32 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Very good fight. Crawford not that much younger than Brook either. It's certainly his toughest fight at welterweight on paper, could argue, maybe ever .

I can't see Brook pulling this one off. He's long past his best. Those two hard bouts with Triple G and Spence took alot from Kell and there's also the difficulty in making the weight. You never know, but I doubt it very much. 

52 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I can't see Brook pulling this one off. He's long past his best. Those two hard bouts with Triple G and Spence took alot from Kell and there's also the difficulty in making the weight. You never know, but I doubt it very much. 

I don't think Brook wins but it's the kind of opponent Crawford needs. He's been manovoured quite nicely at welterweight. The Golovkin fight was a bit of a circus really with Brook moving up 2 weight classes. Big pay day, he couldn't turn it down but he was never going to win. One loss at Welterweight. Against Spence, who you have to say with wins over Brook and Porter is the number one in the division. If Brook does the weight ok, a cracking fight this. Crawford's hardest at welterweight.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't think Brook wins but it's the kind of opponent Crawford needs. He's been manovoured quite nicely at welterweight. The Golovkin fight was a bit of a circus really with Brook moving up 2 weight classes. Big pay day, he couldn't turn it down but he was never going to win. One loss at Welterweight. Against Spence, who you have to say with wins over Brook and Porter is the number one in the division. If Brook does the weight ok, a cracking fight this. Crawford's hardest at welterweight.

I agree with that. Brook may have made some money but that triple g fight killed his career. He should have taken the spence fight 1st before chasing triple g. Think he might have beaten spence had that happened.

Brooks not been same fighter since.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to Urysk Chisora this weekend, Will be good to see how the cruiserweight master performs against a proper heavyweight. We will learn a lot about his Credentials, no doubting his skill but is he big enough 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Looking forward to Urysk Chisora this weekend, Will be good to see how the cruiserweight master performs against a proper heavyweight. We will learn a lot about his Credentials, no doubting his skill but is he big enough 

I think Usyk wins, but like you say this will be a good test to see if he had the power and size to cope 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I really can't see Usyk having a problem keeping Chisora at bay. 

He's been picked for a reason. 

I tend to agree but an  interesting little insight into the bigger picture I think

If by proper HW you mean a fighter who's lost every meaningful fight he's been in. Klitschko, Fury X2 , Whyte X2,. Pulev. Haye was essentially a handy sized cruiserweight trying his hand at HW. Stopped Chisora. And Usyk is arguably the greatest cruiserweight ever. How have Sky sold this as competitive. Usyk will play with him. Wins every round, if he wants to play it like that.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

If by proper HW you mean a fighter who's lost every meaningful fight he's been in. Klitschko, Fury X2 , Whyte X2,. Pulev. Haye was essentially a handy sized cruiserweight trying his hand at HW. Stopped Chisora. And Usyk is arguably the greatest cruiserweight ever. How have Sky sold this as competitive. Usyk will play with him. Wins every round, if he wants to play it like that.

I thought he looked alright against Takam but point taken It is only his second fight at heavyweight so no major upset expected always find it interesting when anyone moves up in weight. Will be interesting to see if he does play it like that or try and get him out of there in the later rounds. 

18 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Absolutely, the gulf in class is huge, it will be a death by a thousand cuts, stoppage around 7-9 unless Usyk not at the races, then it will be Usyk unanimous points dec.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The bookies tend to agree with you😀

Not even looked mr follyfoot, not a lot of value im guessing though, I know it doesn't cost much more then paying to watch villa though and thats a whole night of boxing, you literally can't make it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

What a fight Holyfield v Usyk would have been at cruiserweight. 

People sometimes forget how good a cruiser the real deal was. I mean, his fight with Quai has to be in the top ten of great fights in the 80's  and remember how good a decade that was for boxing. 

49 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What a fight Holyfield v Usyk would have been at cruiserweight. 

People sometimes forget how good a cruiser the real deal was. I mean, his fight with Quai has to be in the top ten of great fights in the 80's  and remember how good a decade that was for boxing. 

Holyfield's accomplishments and wins as a HW kinda make what he did as a cruiserweight not get the attention it deserves. Was a great cruiserweight. Haye-Usyk at cruiserweight would of been fantastic. I'm talking Haye 2008 ish that destroyed Mormeck and Enzo Mac. He was a beast then. The heavyweight thing never worked out for him.

Edited by Johnnyp

30 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Holyfield's accomplishments and wins as a HW kinda make what he did as a cruiserweight not get the attention it deserves. Was a great cruiserweight. Haye-Usyk at cruiserweight would of been fantastic. I'm talking Haye 2008 ish that destroyed Mormeck and Enzo Mac. He was a beast then. The heavyweight thing never worked out for him.

You say that but he became heavyweight champion of the world and we did not have one of those for nearly 100 years before big Frank. The way he danced around that 7 foot lummox Still makes me smile to this day and he nearly took him out in the last round Or at least wobbled him a bit. The only notable cruiser or light heavyweight other those mentioned in fairly recent times achieve at heavyweight was Jinx, one hell of a fighter and what a jab but is probably remembered more for his one defeat

You say that but he became heavyweight champion of the world and we did not have one of those for nearly 100 years before big Frank. The way he danced around that 7 foot lummox Still makes me smile to this day and he nearly took him out in the last round Or at least wobbled him a bit. The only notable cruiser or light heavyweight other those mentioned in fairly recent times achieve at heavyweight was Jinx, one hell of a fighter and what a jab but is probably remembered more for his one defeat

Will give Haye his fair dues for that. Valuev wasn't much of a boxer mind but nobody had figured out how to beat him. My point was he never brought that fear, that ability to wipe people out at heavyweight like he could at cruiserweight. Was eery how he finished Enzo that night. Was losing to Mormeck and ended him with one punch. Haye's biggest strength was his expolosiveness. He didn't have a great engine and wanted to get people out as quick as he could. When he went to heavyweight and it became about putting rounds in the bank because he couldn't wipe people out, he didn't look as comfortable. Saying that he achieved everything at CW and the big money was south of that division.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Michael Spinks is arguably the greatest cruiser of all time. He was practically unbeatable at that weight. 

To be fair, he was never a heavyweight. Yes, he beat Homes, but that was debatable, I think they robbed Homes because of the, Rocky couldn't carry my jock strap comment. 

I remember the Spinks and Tyson fight for the undisputed title and Spinks manager Butch Lewis was trying to be difficult about the wrapping of Tyson hands and Tyson, apparently, got so angry he started punching holes in the walls of the changing room. Imagine poor old Butch, after seeing that has somehow got to go back and get Spinks ready for the fight. He may have told Spinks what he'd just witnessed, because, I don't think I've ever seen a boxer so afraid has Spinks looked that night. That was Tyson at his absolute beast mode. Him and Kevin Rooney were a great team. Such a shame Don got his claws in. 

What a great era that was. 

• Like 1

I think usyk wins. But by KO i am not so sure. Does he have the power to do that? I doubt it.

If usyk goes in there with AJ fury or wilder he get beat easy. Too small. Fury will just bully him. Aj and wilder would KO him very quickly i think. Too big and strong. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think usyk wins. But by KO i am not so sure. Does he have the power to do that? I doubt it.

If usyk goes in there with AJ fury or wilder he get beat easy. Too small. Fury will just bully him. Aj and wilder would KO him very quickly i think. Too big and strong. 

Wilder isn't much heavier than Usyk and all Wilder has is a punch. I would have Usyk to win that fight. He's far too skilful to be walking into those telegraphed, swinging hooks. 

The myth of Wilder has been truly shattered, hence, the disappearing act. 

Â