The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Can't see it unless Ruiz goes on a tear and smashes a couple of top ten guys next year as they'll struggle to sell him as a competitive opponent at the moment.  I had it 117-111 and I was probably being kind to Ruiz. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who next for Joshua will be interesting - the step up to Wilder/Fury is too risky for him at the moment - two defeats in three fights would make life very difficult for him. 

Usyk? Whyte? Ortiz?

I think they're keep it in house so that means either Usyk or Whyte. Really wouldn't rule out a third fight with Ruiz cos it's a convenient excuse to give him a win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

but also clear vulnerabilities

Great post @Dr_Pangloss by the way.

Honestly,  I think there are to many(vulnerabilities in general with him) ,  he gets stunned and tenses up from seemingly glancing blows sometimes especially to the side of his head. 

Dunno,  was a good win but was a bit too easy and he has too use the right more.  He was a bit Bruno if I am honest in parts.

20 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Great post @Dr_Pangloss by the way.

Honestly,  I think there are to many(vulnerabilities in general with him) ,  he gets stunned and tenses up from seemingly glancing blows sometimes especially to the side of his head. 

Dunno,  was a good win but was a bit too easy and he has too use the right more.  He was a bit Bruno if I am honest in parts.

He's definitely at a turning point. His career is mirroring Wladimir Klitschko's, but I'd maintain that Wlad had a lot more skill and more power than Joshua. But basically like Klitschko he got undone and stopped by mediocre opposition and exposed for not having great stamina, specifically not enough stamina to fight aggressively. An underlying weak chin was also exposed with Wlad i.e. in the Sanders, Brewster, Sam Peter 1 and Davarryl Williamson fights, and the same with Joshua but less dramatically (Whyte hurt him bad, Wlad had him hurt bad, Povetkin rocked him and Ruiz stopped him).

Wlad enlisted in Manny Steward's services and he turned him into a risk averse fighter who boxed and moved, centring everything on the jab, moving laterally, throwing the right hand behind the jab cautiously, leading with the left hook sparingly. Joshua is doing the same. Despite having a weak chin Wladimir went on for like a decade unbeaten, had a handful of rocky moments and only started to lose again with age IMO. 

Can Joshua do the same? I don't know. He's very vulnerable and still hasn't perfected the Klitschko style. Credit for doing it well last night but this was against a borderline obese and small opponent. Can he do it against guys like Wilder and Fury who are at least as tall and rangy as him? 

For me Joshua does lack a bit in the skills department but he is being better optimised for his gifts now than he was being. The bottom line is that the division is pretty weak, he could well go on to reign for a long time with the right moves but I think at this age he's one stoppage defeat away from retirement. 

• Like 1

I think Whyte has a better chance this time round, I wouldn't be betting to much on Josh. Just doesn't look the fighter we though he was going to be, not sure why?  He's looking to have no chance against Wilder, if he is hit with half Wilder's power he would go down, bit of a glass jaw.

• Like 1

Â