The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Rigondeaux was so focused on defence that he basically lost all rounds in the fight (except maybe the first) down to simple lack of activity, Lomachenko was throwing far more and landing far more. Rigo's main defensive tactics were incessant holding (reminding me of that Akinwande vs Lewis fight all those years ago) and ducking, at times, below the waist, which is in itself illegal. 

After he lost the point I reckon he figured he was so far down that he had absolutely no chance of winning. Lomachenko was also increasingly landing hard clean shots on Rigondeaux and a couple of times he appeared to be momentarily shaken. I think he knew a landslide decision or even stoppage was on the cards so he simply gave up.

46 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Rigondeaux was so focused on defence that he basically lost all rounds in the fight (except maybe the first) down to simple lack of activity, Lomachenko was throwing far more and landing far more. Rigo's main defensive tactics were incessant holding (reminding me of that Akinwande vs Lewis fight all those years ago) and ducking, at times, below the waist, which is in itself illegal. 

After he lost the point I reckon he figured he was so far down that he had absolutely no chance of winning. Lomachenko was also increasingly landing hard clean shots on Rigondeaux and a couple of times he appeared to be momentarily shaken. I think he knew a landslide decision or even stoppage was on the cards so he simply gave up.

It's still inexcusable though, Loma was landing but as I said before they were not exactly concussive blows, they were more scoring shots.

I don't know if Rigo underestimated the weight factor but he just didn't seem up for it from the first bell.

Still no reason for him to retire on his stool though and as Buncey said, you can't tell me that he has never hurt his hand in 300 fights, he bottled it, massive let down.

He also gave Loma no credit at all after the fight.

3 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

It's still inexcusable though, Loma was landing but as I said before they were not exactly concussive blows, they were more scoring shots.

I don't know if Rigo underestimated the weight factor but he just didn't seem up for it from the first bell.

Still no reason for him to retire on his stool though and as Buncey said, you can't tell me that he has never hurt his hand in 300 fights, he bottled it, massive let down.

He also gave Loma no credit at all after the fight.

A couple of Lomachenko shots definitely had him momentarily stunned IMO. For me Rigo came in with a game plan that he couldn't execute. His excessive holding on the inside was a clear strategy from the first bell, so was his decision to duck low, as it's of course hard to hit someone meaningfully when they are that low down. The problem he had was that he couldn't counter Lomachenko effectively due to Lomachenko's superior footwork and understanding of distance. 

By the end of the 6th round I had it 5-0 (and 1 round even) to Lomachenko with Rigo losing an extra point due to being penalised for holding. At this stage, Rigo knew that he was down by a total landslide, and knew he couldn't hold anymore. On top of this he was getting outlanded and increasingly power shots were landing, so he simply gave up as he had no chance of winning. 

Without wanting to sound racist there's a tendency for Cuban fighters to not show a great deal of heart in fights, Rigo definitely fits into that mould. 

Career best performance from Billy Joe Saunders there, Lemmy always struggles against boxers but he was made to look decidedly average in there.

I think that the weight hurt him, he tried to turn into the Hulk overnight and it worked against him.

BJS boxed beautifully though, Lemmy accused him of running even though his face was all marked up, that doesn't happen when someone is running for 12 rounds.

Also he blamed an injury to his left hand, that must have been the same injury that Rigo suffered, it must hurt to constantly punch fresh air.

49 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hate Billy Joe Saunders - but he looked very capable in that win. it's a pity for him that Canelo and Golovkin only have eyes for each other at the moment. Where else should he be looking for his next fight?

Well if he fights and beats Danny Jacobs convincingly then that would put him in a wonderful position especially after GGG v Jacobs.

• Like 1

The switch to Dominic Ingle seems to have done him the world of good, Barely been hit in the past 2 fights although in the previous fight Monroe just seemed to be there for the money rather than to actually fight.

He is very good when he wants to be but don't really think he has the power to trouble GGG/Canelo although i am not sure either of them (Especially GGG) would particularly fancy trying to chase him round the ring like last night

Edited by LakotaDakota

47 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Well if he fights and beats Danny Jacobs convincingly then that would put him in a wonderful position especially after GGG v Jacobs.

He won't beat Jacobs though. Great game plan against the exceptionally crude Lemieux but overall BJS is average.

30 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

The switch to Dominic Ingle seems to have done him the world of good, Barely been hit in the past 2 fights although in the previous fight Monroe just seemed to be there for the money rather than to actually fight.

He is very good when he wants to be but don't really think he has the power to trouble GGG/Canelo although i am not sure either of them (Especially GGG) would particularly fancy trying to chase him round the ring like last night

That said, for what GGG lacks in handspeed he has in footspeed, he'd get to BJS and this will be heightened by the fact that BJS won't have the power to keep him honest.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He won't beat Jacobs though. Great game plan against the exceptionally crude Lemieux but overall BJS is average.

It'd be a big ask but the thing with BJS is that he needs to stay active and I think that he will only be able to get himself up for big fights, what he doesn't want to do is sit on his arse for 9 months and wait for GGG/Canelo

Ingle has done a fantastic job with him though and it almost seems like a father son sort of relationship that they have got going on at the moment.

I wouldn't exactly call BJS feather fisted and he does have enough pop to keep his opponents honest...however...

GGG is a completely different animal and yeah...BJS wouldn't be able to keep him honest.

Golovkin would cut the ring down as Dr P said, he wouldn't just be coming forward in straight lines.

Whilst it was a brilliant performance from Billy Joe, people can't get carried away and think that beating Lemmy means that he is in with a chance against GGG or Canelo, yeah it certainly makes the fight more interesting but ultimately it'll be the same result.

• Like 1

Â