• L Young
    • Friedel
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Albrighton (for Reo-Coker 72)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 79)

HONESTLY?

If we had Fabregas & Torres in our team we'd be challenging for the title.

Friedel - Nothin Wrong

Young - Solid

Warnock - Fooked up but still solid

Dunne - Brick

Cueller - Shakey

Milner - 110%

Downing - Looked lost

Petrov - He played?

NRC - Why subbed?

Carew - Standard

Gabby - 110%

I seriously think Petrov & Carlos need breaks. Bring in Collins & NRC we'll be back to winning ways.

Didn't think Carlos or DJ were that bad.

Thought MON's subs were very poor again. For me, it should have been Stan and Carew off for Delph and Albrighton with half an hour left and switch to 4-3-3.

Makes me really annoyed how MON talks about tiredness and rotation BUT will not sub a poor Stan, who has played nearly every minute of the season and looked whacked, but has no hesitation to take of a fresh NRC.

I'm currently being told by a Scouser that we were second best all game, set out for a draw and were clinging on at the end for a nil nil.

Well, they do say we all see things differently but...

that'll be that legendary scouse sense of humour...

They said on BBC news last night that Liverpool largely dominated the game.

:evil:

they did !

This game epitomises why Martin O'Neill is so frustrating.

Yet again, a ridiculous substitution has cost us the game - for the 2nd time in 48 hours.

It was ridiculous !. Anyone within a 10 mile radius of Villa Park could see that Petrov was woeful, off the pace, being by-passed - whatever you want to call it. Everyone could see, for whatever reason, Milner wasn't as productive as usual, everyone could see Downing was doing less and less with every minute that went by.

So what does he do ? - he brings off Reo-Coker - the only guy who was holding our , and more importantly, there midfield. Gerrard was non productive until that moment - what happens, NRC is taken off, and not only is he taken off, for the 2nd time in 2 days, a kid comes on and is totally over-run !.

6 points O'Neill has cost us this week, and it is so bloody frustrating !.

And, as every class finisher, Torres, Fabregas, who-ever, needs one chance to put the ball in the back of the net - the name DARREN BENT wrangles at me even more !!!!!.

We NEED a goalscorer in the next 10 days, with it, we have a chance for top 4 - without it - we will finish 9th or 10th.

Trouble is - I honestly don't think Martin O'Neill sees it !

I don't really know what to say about that game. Looked like being a 0-0 throughout the entirity, then they get two pieces of absolute luck for the goal 1] when Warnock slips over and 2] when the clearence bounces of 3 Villa players and into the path of Torres. What a poor way to end the year.

As far as ratings are concerned I would go with

Friedel - 7

Warnock - 7

Dunne - 8

Cuelar - 6

Young - 7

Downing - 5

Petrov - 6

NRC - 6

Milner - 7

Carew - 7

Gabby - 8

Yet again, a ridiculous substitution has cost us the game - for the 2nd time in 48 hours.

It was ridiculous !. Anyone within a 10 mile radius of Villa Park could see that Petrov was woeful, off the pace, being by-passed - whatever you want to call it. Everyone could see, for whatever reason, Milner wasn't as productive as usual, everyone could see Downing was doing less and less with every minute that went by.

So what does he do ? - he brings off Reo-Coker - the only guy who was holding our , and more importantly, there midfield. Gerrard was non productive until that moment - what happens, NRC is taken off, and not only is he taken off, for the 2nd time in 2 days, a kid comes on and is totally over-run !.

And, as every class finisher, Torres, Fabregas, who-ever, needs one chance to put the ball in the back of the net - the name DARREN BENT wrangles at me even more !!!!!.

We NEED a goalscorer in the next 10 days, with it, we have a chance for top 4 - without it - we will finish 9th or 10th.

Yep - we brought the wrong bloke in Downing - we should have brought Bent. Albrighton can cover for Ash.

Agree about the subs - as someone else as has said - where do we go from here - Mon won't drop Petrov or Cuellar - and has said he won't be buying a striker.

In short unless villa can be a force with Petrov, Heskey and Cuellar in the team - it isn't happening under MON.

I'm currently being told by a Scouser that we were second best all game, set out for a draw and were clinging on at the end for a nil nil.

Well, they do say we all see things differently but...

that'll be that legendary scouse sense of humour...

They said on BBC news last night that Liverpool largely dominated the game.

:evil:

they did !

The stats don't lie my friend. Possession practically 50/50 and the same amount of shots on target. I wouldn't call that 'dominated'.

Fried - 7

Young - 8

Cuellar - 7

Dunne - 9

Warnock - 7

Milner - 7

REo - 7

Petrov - 5

Downing - 3

Carew - 5

Gab - 7

Gutted.

Why coker was brought off when he was doing fine, and Petrov and Downing were doing nothing except hiding I'l never know.

Need a striker. If MONs going to tell the 'big man' in the side to drop in and make a 5 as he seems to be doing with Heskey and Carew, we need one in the robbie keane mould.

Liverpool were the better team for the first hour but then gabby started causing problem and definitely though we finished the stronger. It was a poor game overall so doubt any team should be to boastfull about who bossed it.

Some of the above trend just show how fickle some villa fans are. Drop Cruller.............are you for serious. He had been one of our best defenders all season and after a medicore performance ye would have him fed to the lions ! Amazing

People then bangin on about MON and cost us again rubbish. All ye crying out on here the whole time about bringing on Albrington and that was the mistake instead of taking off Petrov. The kid just couldnt get into it. When reo went off we had by far our best spell and look far more creative.

We just don't have the star player in our ranks at the moment, world class player to win games on their own and these type of players Torress and Fabregas have done us in the last 2 games.

I enjoyed tonights game. Torres is a brilliant finisher and took his opportunity well. I was disappointed that NRC was subbed because I though he was making it hard for Pool. It was an end to end game that we deserved a point from imo, but for a clinical finish by a world class player. UP THE VILLA!!!!

Before this game started I was discussing Torres with my mates and saying that I was hoping his groin injury whatever it was would keep him from getting any space because let's face it Torres on his day is one of the best strikers of this era.

In order to beat teams that have clinical strikers you have to be able to build a cushion. Downings attempt may have made a difference, Gabby also had an opportunity but neither of them are killer strikers yet and perhaps they never will be and without putting away those chances we are always going to be victims of teams that play a Torres upfront.

For us to get to the next level with any confidence we have to have more production from the midfield by not only creating goals but scoring them. We need a Lampard midfielder who can control the midfield and score on a regular basis and we definitely need a world class striker.

If we have aspirations rather than hopes of playing in the Champion's League these two positions are essential for us. Without them we will play the Wigans and the Plops at home and come away with results like these.

It's all very well playing with passion and effort but if you don't get goal production the way that the Big Four have done forever in games like last nights we will continue to struggle along in the top eight fringe positions.

I thought MON did what he considered to be best but I think I would have brought Albrighton on earlier for Downing and kept Reo Coker. I might also have taken Luke Young or Dunne off and brought Collins on.

With Dunne on a yellow card and with the succession of Blackburn games coming up I would have given him a rest in the second half. I know he is an immense player, but even immense players need rest periods when the fixture list gets crowded with 48 hour spaces between big games.

I thought Albrighton did well in the limited time he had and MON could also have rested Milner by using Albrighton earlier then he did.

This was a tough game to lose especially in the conditions at Villa Park. The players should be proud of what they accomplished because we all know with a little bit of luck the 3 points could easily have been ours.

Fortunately at this stage of the season losing this game isn't the end of the world. There are still plenty of points to be earned in the second half of the season and I daresay that we ourselves will steal 3 points away from a few teams.

One day, may it not be far away, we will be able to play gobby scousers and arrogant arses KNOWING that we are going to silence them and their fans by winning, nay dominating games like this...... sadly as of today that day is a way off but it will come........ eventually.

I totally agree with you here mate, we are 1 really good striker short of being really good, Gabby looks as if he is going down the same route as last year. Defensively we are much better although we leak the odd late goal, but looking at the teams around us we have scored far less goals by some margin and i agree with you and think MON just doest see this, Bent could have been bought at start of season, for me he is our only option although i think its never gonna happen!!!

Unlucky to lose game, but 2 goals 3 goals scored in r last 4 games, and it being mainly set pieces that gets goals vs top four sides is ringing alarm bells for me!!! Are strikers just dont cut as do spurs or man citys!!!

Hilarious, if the ball had not have ricocheted into Torres's path, then none of this finger waving would have happened.

Maybe MON is having a breakdown again? :?

In my oppinion it was a close game Which Liverpool certainly did not dominate for if they had then surely they would have won more convincingly 2-0 or.3-.0, 4-0.

We were dominated by liverpool when we played them back in March at anfield but not last night.

Up untill the goal I can only remember Liverpool really testing Fridel once though Gerrards lob shot.

Possesion was pretty much even, liverpool edged it on shots.

If you look at the goal Liverpool scored they were fortunate, first of all Dunne slips letting Kuyt in, when the Ball gets played to the centre I think Gabby makes a challenge and the ball rebounds conventionality straight into the path of Torres, who took his goal very well.

keep the faith.

Heres to a win on Saturday!

Surprised people thought Liverpool dominated, I thought they looked very poor. The ball barely even came out of their half for the first 10 minutes. All the best created chances fell to us, their only real big chance, besides diving for free kicks, came from a mistake by us. We could have won the game fairly comofrtably but just didn't get the luck. Carew headers just wide, Downing volley from the corner, Gabby getting the ball under Reina but it going over (how the ****?). 9 times out of 10 these would be in, just wasn't our day.

Some Liverpool fans think they will win the league after this result - nonsense. They were extremley lucky saved by their goalkeeper twice and the weather causing our players to slip over. MON is right we should have won the game and we didn't.

Liverpool certainly dominated possession but it's not as if Friedel was needed on too many occasions. We had the three best chances of the game (Downing volley, Gabby one-on-one, Carew header); they created next to nothing, then got a lucky break. Not much we could do about it.

That said, our CM was poor until Milner moved inside, Petrov and NRC barely seemed to get out of our half. This happened so many times: full-back plays the ball up to a winger, winger hits it towards Gabby or John, they hold the ball up for a couple of seconds, but there's no support from the centre midfield, so we lose the ball. The same thing happened against Spurs. It would have been risky, but I'd have been tempted to match their 4-5-1 and put Delph in the middle with NRC and Petrov to provide some attacking threat through the middle.

Still, I'm pretty sure we'll bounce back on Saturday.