PL: Liverpool h Match Thread 2009/12/29 19:45

limpid

Must not lose game. If we do Liverpool will be two points off us, Spurs probably above us and Man. City possibly level on points.

1-1.

Would defo have NRC in for this, him, Stan and Milner as some sort of trio and push Downing up just off the strikers.

Friedel

L.Young

Cuellar

Dunne

Warnock

Downing

Reo-Coker

Petrov

Milner

Carew

Agbonlahor

Agree with that apart from upfront. I never thought I'd say this but Heskey deserves to keep his place based on what I saw today, played well. Carew although he didn't have much time, didn't have any impact.

Probably a really stupid comment but what about Collins in midfield? Maybe in a sorta diamond.

Collins holding, then Milner as the main attacking midfield but with it changing with the other 3...Young and Warnock providing width.

Far too tall and immobile. Would be like a Huddlestone without the passing..... so crap really.

Probably a really stupid comment but what about Collins in midfield? Maybe in a sorta diamond.

Collins holding, then Milner as the main attacking midfield but with it changing with the other 3...Young and Warnock providing width.

Far too tall and immobile. Would be like a Huddlestone without the passing..... so crap really.

He passes the ball brilliantly IMO and also would be very good defensively and has a good footballing brain and i'm sure zonally could sit in there, obviously with a Diamond aswell, he's got support from the midfield.

I'd go

---------Friedle

L.Young -- Collins -- Dunne -- Warnock

Albrington -- Petrov -- Milner -- Downing

----------Heskey -- Gabby

I'd have Collins in as i think we'll need a stronger passer in CB though it is harsh to drop Ceullar

--------------------------------friedal---------------------------------

young---------------cuellar-------------dunne------------warnock

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

milner----------reo-coker-------------petrov---------downing

---------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------Heskey-------------------Agbonlahor

subs-guzan, collins, beye, delph, sidwell, albrighton, carew

Id go 4-5-1 as we killed them at Anfield with that system and it lets us get control of the midfield against teams that play 4-2-3-1 like they do, same gk and defence as last few games, a central midfield 3 of petrov, milner and reo-coker with gabby and downing out wide, heskey playing the lone striker, i doubt we'll play that tho, reckon it'll be milner out wide and reo-coker in the middle in a 4-4-2

Be tempted to go 4-5-1 in this one.

Don't think Heskey is 100% and just don't like Carew in the team at the moment, rather he be an impact sub if we need a goal.

Perhaps...

Usual back 4.

------Petrov------

---Coker--Delph-

Milner--------Downing

--------Gabby---------

and let's really get stuck into them, confidence isn't high, let's match them in the middle and get stuck into them early, don't let them settle.

This for me. The Plop games in the second half of last season and earlier this season and the Arsenal game shows that we are not good enough to play Sky 4 teams that play 4-3-3 with a 4-4-2 and that we need to match up to their formation to give ourselves a chance. Whilst this Plop team, particularly without Mascherano, are nowhere near as slick as the Arsenal CM they would overrun a Petrov + 1.

The only change I might make is to drop Stan, who IMO had a very poor game against Arsenal and looked tired (but MON will never do this), and bring in Albrighton to keep Jimmy in the middle.

JC as the impact sub and big Emile to get a rest before the Blackburn FA Cup game.

Please God a 2-0 victory!

well if we play 4-4-2 away against a three man midfield, I don't see why MON would go 4-5-1 at home against one, I really don't. Big teams match up in the middle against the other top teams, but Martin seems reluctant - god knows why, given our superb record playing that system. Anyway, given that....

--------------------------------FRIEDEL------------------------------------

--YOUNG--------------CUELLAR-------DUNNE---------------WARNOCK--

------------------------PETROV---------REO-COKER-----------------------

------------MILNER---------------------------------------DOWNING--------

----------------------------HESKEY---GABBY--------------------------------

the lads looked tired against Arsenal with a weeks rest.. Especially second half.. we ran out of steam.

Have to make several changes to freshen things up. Even against United we were dominated the way Arsenal did... we need 5 in the middle.

--------------------------------FRIEDEL------------------------------------

BEYE--------------COLLINS----------DUNNE-----------------WARNOCK

---------------MILNER--------REO-COKER----------SIDWELL------------

ALBRIGHTON---------------------------------------------------DOWNING

---------------------------------CAREW------------------------------------

OK, just reiterating what I said in the main thread...

I'd go:

Friedel

Young, Cueller, Dunne, Warnock

Albrighton, Petrov, Milner, Downing

Gabby, Heskey

I think Albrighton can offer as much as Ash going forward but he will need to tuck in a bit more against Liverpool to allow him to cut more things out in the middle. The only thing I'd be wary of would be his positional sense when tracking back but if it doesn't work we'll always have the option of changing things around by bringing on NRC or Sidwell.