Halfway: How many points?

Danwichmann

How many point will we have after 38 games?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How many point will we have after 38 games?

• 80+
    • 75-79
    • 70-74
    • 65-69
    • 60-64
    • 55-59
    • 50-54

With a little luck, and continuing some of the matchday attitude we have shown over recent weeks, we could be on over 40 points by new year, which means we are certain of avoiding relegation.....

Anything over 70 points would be a great reflection as to our progress under MON. Remember, the league we are in has become more difficult over the past 3 years, with some big money flying around, and a few teams have improved enormously, not just ourselves.

Can`t wait until we beat Liverpool, sending them into freefall....

If we have a repeat performance in the 2nd half (and if we get a favourable result at Le Arse - I'll take a draw) we'll be on 72 points for the season, and if teams keep taking points off each other, that should see us to 4th.

I think we can do it, lets go for it! 8)

I think 70 - 74 points.. Be interesting to have a look at where that would get you in previous seasons...

Last 10 seasons, Premier League 4th place

2008/9 Arsenal 72 points

2007/8 Liverpool 76 points

2006/7 Arsenal 68 points

2005/6 Arsenal 67 points

2004/5 Everton 61 points

2003/4 Liverpool 60 points

2002/3 Chelsea 67 points

2001/2 Newcastle 71 points

2000/1 Leeds 68 points

1999/2000 Liverpool 67 points

Average 67.7 points, 1.78 points per game

Last 10 seasons, Premier League 5th place

2008/9 Everton 63 points

2007/8 Everton 65 points

2006/7 Tottenham 60 points

2005/6 Tottenham 65 points

2004/5 Liverpool 58 points

2003/4 Newcastle 56 points

2002/3 Liverpool 64 points

2001/2 Leeds 66 points

2000/1 Ipswich 66 points

1999/2000 Chelsea 65 points

Average 63.2 points, 1.66 points per game

Current Premier League points per game

Chelsea 2.28 points per game

Man Utd 2.06

Arsenal 2.06

Aston Villa 1.94

Tottenham 1.83

Man City 1.71

Birmingham 1.56

Fulham 1.53

Liverpool 1.50

I think we learned a lot last season (13 games unbeaten, 7 consecutive away wins, too many home draws, the slump...) and I fancy us to get 70+ points. We'd be very unlucky not to get at least 4th with a total like that.

I hope we can keep this level of intensity up for the second half of the season and I am predicting that we will finish on 69 points.

I think a number of key factors will help us to avoid the spectacular slump we experienced last season.

1. Experience. The majority of the players have seen how a brilliant position in February can so quickly dissappear with a few poor results and a loss of momentum. Therefore I think we will have learnt a great deal from last season and, yes we could well have a poor run, but I am confident it won't be anywhere near as bad as last season- which should keep us up there.

2. Squad depth. We now have a bigger squad with added quality on that all important substitutes bench. 'Burnout' was a major factor in the second half of last season so hopefully, with more competition for places, there is less chance of that happening in this campaign.

3. The World Cup. Funnily enough, I think with having so many England hopefulls, that sheer drive and determination to reach the plane for South Africa might also help us 'numb' the effects of 'burnout' as the season wears on. Players will be so focused on impressing, and with that added incentive it should help prevent our league form from dropping so spectacularly as last.

4. The Carling Cup/Confidence. Whatever happens in the semi-final with Blackburn (and we all sincerely hope the lads can reach Wembley) I think this season's cup run can be considered a success. Cup runs breed confidence in the team as it has transpired so far this season. We have now proved that we can compete on a very high standard on TWO fronts, and whether we win the Carling Cup or not, we have to continue to take huge confidence from that fact.

5. Transfer Market. There was a lot of controversy last season when MON decided not to bring in enforcements in January when we were in a similar position. I was one of those who was critical, and as it so proved, our squad at that time just couldn't sustain that level of intensity and we duely faltered. Now we find ourselves here again, albeit in a slightly different position because we now DO have much more strength in depth. HOWEVER, although O'Neill has hinted that he won't be in the market this January, I actually agree with Petrov's comments that additions could only make us stronger and I don't think O'Neill would be wise to rule it out, which I don't believe he has. For example, one player who we haven't got like-for-like cover for, and who suffered very badly last season from fatigue is Agbonlahor. Surely a cheeky bid for someone like Robbie Keane would address this issue and probably fire Gabby up to maintain his fine form thus far. So I certainly don't think we should "splash the cash" nor do I think we will, but I do think O'Neill could enhance our top 4 credentials by addressing the above issue in terms of attacking options.

Â