PL: Arsenal a Match Thread 2009/12/27 13:30

limpid

This matchthread make me think about how much we have progressed in recent years. We may not expect to win at the Emirates (although some here optimisticly say so), but we certainly feel that we have the team to compete, and no-one will be surprised if we indeed win this match. Some years ago the Arsenal fans wouldn't even fear us, and us as fans and players wouldn't look forward to this at all. It would just be a match we hope for some effort from the players so we wouldn't be embarrassed by the result. We may lose both to Arsenal and Liverpool, but I certainly look forward to those matches now! I'm excited like a child, and it feels great! :)

Like one of their fans has pointed out on their forum; "I remember when Thierry used to piss all over them."

I remember too. Fortunately for us and unfortunately for them, they don't have Thierry anymore and their current team isn't in the same league as the one Thierry played in at his peak with the Gunners. Our team has slightly changed too, not too mention the clubs ownership and manager. :winkold:

Anyhow, be interesting to see if MON goes for 4-4-2 in this one like he did at OT. 4-5-1 has proved quite successful at the Emirates over the last few seasons. Have a feeling if Heskey doesn't make it we could see Sidwell/NRC coming in for him rather than Carew. MON has options, that's for sure. Hopefully he'll make the right decision.

I don't see us getting hammered. I see a draw really. 1-1.

I believe we will get maximum points over Christmas.

Arsenal is a quality team but they rely too much on two quality players in Fabregas and Andrey Arshavin. We can defend very well. I do think we need to score at least two to win the game.

oh for Liverpool, a big trashing for them and see the Spanish waiter's last game for Liverpool. :)

Nasri got off with his 'stamp' so he can play, quite how I don't know, the guy acted like a complete idiot and deserved a ban. This Arsenal side really are arrogant, they follow their managers lead and swagger about the pitch with no respect at all.

see here

How the once proud name of Arsenal has been dragged to these levels is beyond me. The press praise their football ability, but seem to ignore the other side to this team that most fans see. Wengers moaning, their diving and petulance, their lack of English players.....

I so hope we do them, its good versus bad IMO. I don't care about L Pool, its Arsenal I want, Father F****n Christmas!

This period represents why we are not title challenges and just slightly out of reach of top 4 finishers.

Oh first choice can match and win both these games the problem being not after playing tough games and not so close together.

Can we still win with a few rotations adding NRC here, Beye there etc? Probably not, whilst the teams we're playing, well perhaps not Liverpool can.

These 2 games are benchmark games for Villa, have we arrived, that's the question, the gap between the top 4 and the rest is a lot closer than ever before, the point is whilst everybody else has stepped up a gear to get closer to the top 4, IMO the top 4 haven't responded, hence they are feeling the pressure, getting injuries, not getting the predicted results. Now is the time for Villa, the fear factor has gone, there is nothing to fear with Liverpool, Arsenal are very capable but so are Villa, its going to come down to the best team on the day and who wants it more, Villa have to go and get this result v Arsenal and we have to grind Liverpool down.

This period represents why we are not title challenges and just slightly out of reach of top 4 finishers.

Oh first choice can match and win both these games the problem being not after playing tough games and not so close together.

Can we still win with a few rotations adding NRC here, Beye there etc? Probably not, whilst the teams we're playing, well perhaps not Liverpool can.

Hmm we beat Liverpool and Fulham earlier in the season with Shorey, Beye, Clark, Davies, Sidwell, Reo-Coker..

few names who don't play regularly... :winkold:

Well despite some suggestions that Fabregas was fit to face Hull last weekend but was being saved for our game it looks like he is still a doubt to face us, fingers crossed aye folks because Arsenal without him are a very different side to when he is playing.

Cesc Fabregas insists he will be doing everything possible to be fit for Arsenal's game with Aston Villa on Sunday.

The Gunners skipper missed their 3-0 win over Hull City last weekend after limping out of their draw at Burnley having found the back of the net at Turf Moor.

Here

Fabregas will play but dunno if he can last 90 minutes. Arsenal have played injured players against us before, they played Hleb at VP a few seasons ago when he was supposed to be out and then Carew cleaned him out on the 60 minute mark!

I too see Liverpool as the more crucial game tbh. While it's great keeping pace with Arsenal at this moment in time, I don't really see us finishing above them. However if we lose to Liverpool, then that will get them right back into the race for 4th and is the sort of result that could well give them the impetus to go on a mammoth unbeaten league run.

Fabregas will play but dunno if he can last 90 minutes. Arsenal have played injured players against us before, they played Hleb at VP a few seasons ago when he was supposed to be out and then Carew cleaned him out on the 60 minute mark!

You'll need more info to be posting that type of comment, i can tell you!

I would be delighted with a point at the Emirates. I believe the more key game will be against Liverpool and making sure they do not gain any ground on us.

Basically if we can keep our undefeated streak going during these two games.

I hate the fact that i am really confident of a good result. Only thing keeping my optimism at check is that we have already beaten the other skychamps.

Arsenal are clearly the top 4 team that suits us best, especially considering their current injuries.

They may piss all over us regarding technique but they dont like getting closed down fast and they got no leadership or spine.

I consider Fabregas more a "best player" captain than a leader and I read he passed the armband on to Almunia (and dont get me started on him vs Friedel)

So.....3-1 Arsenal :(